Another cyclist killed in the lane

Old September 12th 15, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Another cyclist killed in the lane

On 2015-09-11 3:19 PM, wrote:
Mecca...

http://www.agweb.com/weather/cumulative-rainfall/

Something wrong in there. Red indicates MTB 12" but it was zero.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 13th 15, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 04:47:18 -0400, somebody
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 07:30:31 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

Driver Rajesh Wadhava...

OK, another crappy driver who grew up in a country where cars aren't
the norm.

Maybe. Or maybe he was born and raised in Sacramento, you racist idjit.
Of course, Americans are frequently crappy drivers. I see it dozens of
times on my way to and from work every day (and sometimes the loose nut
behind the steering wheel is me).
Old September 14th 15, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 2:23:43 PM UTC+1, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 9:37:29 PM UTC-4, Tim McNamara wrote peevishly to Joerg:

Maybe. Or maybe he was born and raised in Sacramento, you racist idjit.

Actually, that word is eejit, pronounced as it it is spelt, no d in it.

I witnessed last night a big pickup burning tire and skidding ON WET PAVEMENT, just showing off. Where's Jesus?

Driving the pickup. The Pope is keeping up with the times, making the pagan religion of Global Warmish part of the catechism, so Jesus no longer walks on water, he drives a truck on water.

Andre Jute
Old October 3rd 15, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2015-09-11 7:44 AM, Duane wrote:
On 11/09/2015 10:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

Not to jump on the Danger! Danger! bandwagon but most of the close calls
that I've had in the last couple of years have been exactly something
like this. Car/Truck/SUV passing when it's not safe. Upcoming turn,
topping a hill or whatever.

I think it has very little to do with lane positioning and a lot to do
with impatient drivers.

Not just impatient ones, also distracted and inexperienced drivers. All
it takes is misjudging the speed or width of an oncoming vehicle. This
is the first kind of accident I witnessed as a kid while bicycling to
school but the cyclist in front of me was lucky and was "only" pushed
into the ditch. Driver fled the scene, was caught because I noted all
details, I witnessed in court, and then they let the guy go with a warning!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

In San Francisco NOBODY stops all the way at stop signs and only the cyclists are given tickets for it. Now for what it's worth the cycle delivery guys are horrors on wheels cutting through traffic and cutting off people all over the place but they are only a tiny percentage of the cyclists over there now. And with rental cycles there can be thousands of cyclists on the roads on weekends especially in the summer.

It is also standard operating procedure for cars to pass you when you're almost to a corner and turn right in front of you. I have hit one car for doing that but he didn't stop. I just came to a stop and had to put a foot down.
Old October 3rd 15, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 4:40:00 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/11/2015 10:30 AM, Joerg wrote:
In our paper yesterday:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...e34459329.html

And the lesson is what? We should ride only in the gutter?

BTW, in the U.S. about 4500 pedestrians are killed every year. IIRC,
most are in crosswalks. Let the fear mongering begin!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Yep. Pedestrians are generally five times more likely to be injured or killed by motor vehicles.

In the local paper they reported of some 12 year old who rode his bicycle to school on the sidewalk, got off and was walking across an intersection. He was struck in the middle of an intersection by an SUV driven at 25-30 mph by a person without a license.

The kid had both legs broken, one in four places and broke and arm. Plus many cuts a scrapes.

What was the moral of the story? The police said, "His life was saved by his helmet."

HE WAS WALKING!!! Are they suggesting that all pedestrians wear helmets?
Old October 3rd 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 2:52:01 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 2:23:43 PM UTC+1, Wise TibetanMonkey, Most Humble Philosopher wrote:
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 9:37:29 PM UTC-4, Tim McNamara wrote peevishly to Joerg:

Maybe. Or maybe he was born and raised in Sacramento, you racist idjit.

Actually, that word is eejit, pronounced as it it is spelt, no d in it.

I witnessed last night a big pickup burning tire and skidding ON WET PAVEMENT, just showing off. Where's Jesus?

Driving the pickup. The Pope is keeping up with the times, making the pagan religion of Global Warmish part of the catechism, so Jesus no longer walks on water, he drives a truck on water.

Andre Jute

Thanks Andre. No matter how many scientific facts are placed against man-made climate change using NOAA's own data we continue to hear from the True Believers even though since 1977 or so they haven't gotten ONE SINGLE PREDICTION CORRECT or even in the same ballpark. Remember when Al Gore told us about the coming Ice Age and then after none of those predictions came true he changed around after five years and none of his predictions powered supposedly by 97% of the world's scientists predictions?

"Patrick Moore, a Canadian environmentalist who helped found Greenpeace in the Seventies but subsequently left in protest at its increasingly extreme, anti-scientific, anti-capitalist stance, argues that the green position on climate change fails the most basic principles of the scientific method."

A poll among hard scientist found that only 1-3% of them believed that climate change was real let along man-made. Maybe that's where that 97% came from. They just got it opposite.

Old October 3rd 15, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

To observe due respect for a cyclist dead on the roads, i've answered your post in a new thread at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/Gm2H6r3Bhyg

Andre Jute

Old October 3rd 15, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 21:04:14 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/2/2015 7:33 PM, wrote:

A poll among hard scientist found that only 1-3% of them believed that climate change was real let along man-made. Maybe that's where that 97% came from. They just got it opposite.

Got a link to that?

Start with a look at the Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instru...erature_record

Which says in the opening paragraph:
"The longest-running temperature record is the Central England
temperature data series, that starts in 1659. The longest-running
quasi-global record starts in 1850."

And has a chart in the side bar showing annual mean and 5 year running
mean temperatures since 1880. But perhaps of more interest is the 49
references that they include for the various statements made.

The question of global warming is, I believe, not in question by any
competent party. And the only question seems to be "why".

As for "why" I suggest that if one charted the use of carbon producing
fuels compared with mean annual temperature it might well show a
correlation :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 3rd 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/2/2015 8:04 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/2/2015 7:33 PM, wrote:

A poll among hard scientist found that only 1-3% of them
believed that climate change was real let along man-made.
Maybe that's where that 97% came from. They just got it
opposite.

Got a link to that?

It's not secret or breaking news:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...arming-crisis/

http://www.inquisitr.com/1234575/nas...g-is-nonsense/

https://ricochet.com/archives/50-nas...lobal-warming/

Or see the many papers by Bjorn Lomborg in the past ten years

http://www.lomborg.com/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/