Toward self-built wheelset

Old May 5th 17, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele Russo[_2_]

Default Toward self-built wheelset

Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 07:28:14 UTC+2, James ha scritto:
On 04/05/17 23:40, wrote:
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 6:27:24 AM UTC-7, Gabriele Russo wrote:
Who's inside joking?

These days, unless you are building a set of wheels purely because
you want to build a set of wheels, it's far more cost effective to
buy a good set.

One of the major problems with building a set of wheels is getting a
good set of rims. Most of the old shops would have a spoke
cutter/threader, but they also have to have the hubs measurements and
the rim measurements in order to cut the spokes to the proper length
with your spoke pattern in mind.

With all of the correct parts it takes me about a half hour to build
and tension a wheel. But the rest of the stuff turns out to be
difficult to lay your hands on these days.

I disagree. The internet makes getting whatever rim, spokes and hubs
you desire, doable and economical.

--
JS

I do not sorround. Or I'll try.
Next post, not soon, will be for survey among kind concelors on alternatives (based on budget and commercial boundary constraints for a european citizen) for the components (hub, rim, spoke).
Commercial ground: total budget c.a. 500 EU (excluded sprocket and tires), to be spent with european on line stores.
Quality target level: in between Neutron Ultra, Fulcrum Racing 0, Spada Stiletto.
In the meantime, any further suggestions much appreciated.
"May the wheel force be with us."
Old May 5th 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 10:28:14 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 04/05/17 23:40, wrote:
[...]

Well, maybe you don't think that you need a long lasting set of hubs and can get them cheaper for a lower quality. Then give us a price on a set of rims.

And then you can buy spokes but you are stuck having a shop cut them to the proper length and if you're using modern rims the front spokes with be one length and the back two different lengths. So you must have the correct spoke length.

Can you tell me how you get these spoke lengths?

Remember that the wheel cost I quoted was about $80 for the pair complete.
Old May 5th 17, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 04/05/17 23:40, wrote:
[...]

The wheels you are quoting are extremely lightweight top quality wheels. The Neutron and Fulcrum are the same wheels made by the same manufacturer. The Spada is reportedly in the same league and is ultra-lightweight.

If you weigh more than 75 kilograms and ride very hard over steep climbs and bad roads these wheels will not last much more than two years at the most..

At 85 kilograms I broke a rear Neutron into a bent mess in perhaps 3500 km.
Old May 5th 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele Russo[_2_]

Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 17:32:27 UTC+2, ha scritto:

Remember that the wheel cost I quoted was about $80 for the pair complete..

Are you really confident to feel safe on a complete pair priced $80?

Old May 5th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 9:21:48 AM UTC-7, Gabriele Russo wrote:
Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 17:32:27 UTC+2, ha scritto:

Remember that the wheel cost I quoted was about $80 for the pair complete.

Are you really confident to feel safe on a complete pair priced $80?

My experience in general is that the cheaper wheels tend to be stronger and hence more heavily built.

For instance, I replaced the Neuron with a Proton which was cheaper and a bit heavier. Also it didn't have the internal spoke nipples. So it's more maintainable. But supposedly is has measurably more drag.
Old May 5th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

I bought a pair of Miche Primato road hubs for $100AUD. They are a
forged aluminium hub with sealed bearings, larger and more durable than
similar Mavic hubs.

The Kinlin rims I bought for $30AUD each, though shipping did bump the
price up, so I ordered 4 rims and the average cost was $40AUD each.

Spokes (DTSwiss DB) from Chain Reaction are currently about $1 each.

All prices are probably less in the US due to exchange rates not being
in my favour. I know there are cheaper suppliers in the US, but postage
to Australia is horrendous compared with from the UK.

And then you can buy spokes but you are stuck having a shop cut them
to the proper length and if you're using modern rims the front spokes
with be one length and the back two different lengths. So you must
have the correct spoke length.

Can you tell me how you get these spoke lengths?

Chain Reaction sell them in packs of 18 in 2mm increments.

Remember that the wheel cost I quoted was about $80 for the pair
complete.

That's nice. Do they sell a pair to my formula with a dynamo front hub
as well? No, you're stuck with whatever they concocted. I like the
flexibility to choose each part as I see fit.

So not "difficult to lay your hands on these days".

--
JS
Old May 6th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

On Fri, 5 May 2017 09:21:43 -0700 (PDT), Gabriele Russo
wrote:

Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 17:32:27 UTC+2, ha scritto:

Remember that the wheel cost I quoted was about $80 for the pair complete.

Are you really confident to feel safe on a complete pair priced $80?

Why not? I've got a set of cheap Shimano wheels on one bike that I
paid less then $70 for. Two years so far with no problems.
Old May 8th 17, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gabriele Russo[_2_]

Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 12:47:58 UTC+2, Gabriele Russo ha scritto:
I do not sorround. Or I'll try.

My (at the moment) project:
Miche Primato Syntesi 24F/28R + rims DT 440 (rear Asymmetric).
Probably front radial (if factory agrees) rear 2nd crossed.
DT Competition (black/red) spokes.
Nipples red.
Gr 1700 for 315 euros (on line stores in Europe).

Further suggestions and comments, even rough, much appreciated.
Old May 8th 17, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:11:28 PM UTC-4, Gabriele Russo wrote:
Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 12:47:58 UTC+2, Gabriele Russo ha scritto:
I do not sorround. Or I'll try.

My (at the moment) project:
Miche Primato Syntesi 24F/28R + rims DT 440 (rear Asymmetric).
Probably front radial (if factory agrees) rear 2nd crossed.
DT Competition (black/red) spokes.
Nipples red.
Gr 1700 for 315 euros (on line stores in Europe).

Further suggestions and comments, even rough, much appreciated.

Just make surethatt the front Miche hub warranty isn't voided by lacing it radially.

I know some hub warranties are voided if used with a radila lacing pattern.

Good luck and cheers
Old May 8th 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 09/05/17 07:28, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:11:28 PM UTC-4, Gabriele Russo wrote:
Il giorno venerdì 5 maggio 2017 12:47:58 UTC+2, Gabriele Russo ha scritto:
I do not sorround. Or I'll try.

My (at the moment) project:
Miche Primato Syntesi 24F/28R + rims DT 440 (rear Asymmetric).
Probably front radial (if factory agrees) rear 2nd crossed.
DT Competition (black/red) spokes.
Nipples red.
Gr 1700 for 315 euros (on line stores in Europe).

Further suggestions and comments, even rough, much appreciated.

Just make surethatt the front Miche hub warranty isn't voided by lacing it radially.

I know some hub warranties are voided if used with a radila lacing pattern.

Good luck and cheers

I asked Miche about radial lacing. Their reply contained this:

"It is possible to lacing Syntesi hubs with radial pattern: it is
important to have -really at least- 18 spokes."

They are a forged hub.

--
JS