Toward self-built wheelset

Old May 14th 17, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Toward self-built wheelset

On 12/05/17 01:00, wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 12:25:12 AM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 11/05/17 09:07,
wrote:
On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 10:16:54 PM UTC-7, Gabriele Russo wrote:
Il giorno mercoledì 10 maggio 2017 05:19:19 UTC+2, John B. ha
scritto:
Given the relative strength of aluminum and brass one can only
speculate on the advantages, if any, of aluminum over brass.

24 grams of water amounts to 1.6 tablespoons of water :-)

Please, discard we all the aspect of the weight saving of alloy
nipples (I premised that as ridicolous matter myself) and release
experiences of defective alloy nipples in non-extreme conditions
(salt, wet, atmosphere on Mars and so on). Give kindly me well
based reasons to give up colors on nipples. Do you all want me to
put away the idea of a wheelset with red nipples, unique in the
world? :-)

These guys are pulling your leg. The amount of time it would take to
have corrosion problems on a sport bike is roughly forever. I built
the same sort of wheels you were describing and that was 10 years
ago. I sold them on a bike last year and they were still like new.

I rode across a causeway that was covered by sea water. The corrosion
that caused around the valve hole was extensive and in a short time, and
around each nipple hole a blob of aluminium oxide - and then the spoke
holes started to crack.

Need it be said that it was your choice to ride across when the tide was high?

I could have turned back or taken a longer busy road route. I did hose
the bike down when I got home, but the salty water had obviously gone
into the hollow rim and remained there helping the oxidation.

Of course the steel spokes and brass nipples were fine.

I wonder what the result would have been with aluminium nipples?

--
JS