Chain lube intervals 7-speed versus 10-speed

Old June 14th 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Chain lube intervals 7-speed versus 10-speed

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 05:35:46 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:50:48 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
Snipped
I don't know. I can't remember any chain that I've had that made any
noises. Even back in the days when the chain on a very old one speed
schwinn would get all rusty in the winter and I'd oil it with my Mom's
sewing machine oil.

But maybe I spend too much time on bicycle preventative maintenance
--
Cheers,

John B.

Preventative maintenance is NOT something Joerg does. Remember his post about ignoring unusual noises from his bicycles? No wonder so much of his stuff breaks.

Well yes. But I guess I had a deprived childhood. My father was always
saying things like, "Be sure you close the gate so the cow can't get
out", or "weed a row in the garden before the weeds get taller then
the carrots", or some other task that would take away my play time.

Good Lord! I probably could have sued him for abuse in today's
America.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 17, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-06-13 12:30, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 1:24:36 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
Baloney. You never seem to read attentively. I religiously clean
and lube my chains. Bike maintenance goes by checklist here just
like the aircraft guys do it. That includes all "mission-critical"
items such as brakes, brake pads, chains, tire pressures, shock
pressures, stem tightness, front wheel mounts, battery and so on.

BULL****!

In another thread you stated: "On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 12:33:59
PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

"Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises. I usually
just let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets loose or
something falls off. With this BB I think I let it go too far where
other riders started to notice but that is fixed now."

Nowhere have you mentioned that you do regular maintenance on your
bike. ...

That is because you have not attentively read my posts. We had numerous
chain lube discussions here where I laid in great detail out how I
maintain my chains.

Joerg's right. He maintains them with rocks and nails. He told us so.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 14th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 22:45:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/13/2017 4:55 PM, wrote:

I finally found that odd clicking that came on hard climbs in only one gear as far as I could tell. My Delta cleat was getting so thin that the rubber walker was falling off so I replaced the cleat and the sound was gone on a damn hard climb I just did. I could have torn the crank and bottom bracket off and inspected them. I could have checked the pedals. Instead I found the problem without checklists or swearing.

Speaking of odd noises: I heard a weird clicking on yesterday's ride.
It was far too slow to be in sync with wheel rotation. Maybe with crank
rotation? No, slower than that. Chain rotation? No...

Holy cow. It's in sync with my _breathing_. When I held my breath, the
clicking stopped!

It went away a few minutes later. I'm hoping the fabric on my jersey was
somehow tightening and loosing some wrinkle as I breathed, and that the
headwind was just doing something weird with it.

I once heard a sort of "Grack", "Grack" sound when I was climbing a
hill on a route I frequently ride. It was exactly in time with my
pedaling and sounded so bad that I stopped and examined the
bike.Nothing out of the or denary. Just as I straddled the bike to set
out again the sound came back. It turns out that there is a bird here
who's call sounds like Grack, Grack :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 14th 17, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

In another thread you stated: "On Thursday, June 8, 2017
at 12:33:59
PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

"Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises.
I usually
just let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets
loose or
something falls off. With this BB I think I let it go too
far where
other riders started to notice but that is fixed now."

Nowhere have you mentioned that you do regular
maintenance on your
bike. ...

That is because you have not attentively read my posts. We
had numerous chain lube discussions here where I laid in
great detail out how I maintain my chains.

Joerg's right. He maintains them with rocks and nails. He
told us so.

Titanium nails are very trendy:
https://www.greenrushdaily.com/dab-nail/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 14th 17, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

WL best on Walbikes...try PEDROS

grit friction for a 10 is higher than a 7 from....more friction areas....across the board

Old June 14th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:13:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
WL best on Walbikes...try PEDROS

grit friction for a 10 is higher than a 7 from....more friction areas....across the board

In friction tests most chain lubes didn't reduce any friction unless they had extremely high loads of TFE in them.
Old June 14th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

In another thread you stated: "On Thursday, June 8, 2017
at 12:33:59
PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

"Meantime I have a higher tolerance against bike noises.
I usually
just let them be until it becomes very loud, a part gets
loose or
something falls off. With this BB I think I let it go too
far where
other riders started to notice but that is fixed now."

Nowhere have you mentioned that you do regular
maintenance on your
bike. ...

That is because you have not attentively read my posts. We
had numerous chain lube discussions here where I laid in
great detail out how I maintain my chains.

Joerg's right. He maintains them with rocks and nails. He
told us so.

Titanium nails are very trendy:
https://www.greenrushdaily.com/dab-nail/

And hollow ones save weight!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 14th 17, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:20:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:13:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
WL best on Walbikes...try PEDROS

grit friction for a 10 is higher than a 7 from....more friction areas....across the board

In friction tests most chain lubes didn't reduce any friction unless they had extremely high loads of TFE in them.

ok.

water reduces friction.

not on you but otherwise on planet Earth
Old June 14th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 9:50:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 10:20:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:13:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
WL best on Walbikes...try PEDROS

grit friction for a 10 is higher than a 7 from....more friction areas....across the board

In friction tests most chain lubes didn't reduce any friction unless they had extremely high loads of TFE in them.

ok.

water reduces friction.

not on you but otherwise on planet Earth

I'm sure that water works great for you.

But the testing seems to be different for every tester.

http://biketestreviews.com/the-last-...n-lubrication/
http://www.velonews.com/2013/04/bike...progold_282854

http://lillylube.com/uploads/Link_to_Velo_Article.pdf

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

The guy who used to be our go-to expert:

"rom: (Jobst Brandt)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: White Lightning?!?!? Never again!
Date: 9 May 2000 15:18:49 GMT

John Getsoian writes:

Have you considered that the nature of the very sticky oil coating
put on chains prior to distribution may have more to do with long
term corrosion resistance on storage in possibly humid environments
than it does with its virtues as a working lubricant?

This a classic rhetorical question with no endorsement of one position
or another, except to perpetuate folklore. I can see it now, chains
are made in far away places, across the sea, from whence they are
shipped unpackaged and exposed to the elements on the decks of small
ships. GIVE ME A BREAK!

I can also see Trek and Cannondale rinsing these corrosion protected
chains so that they can be "properly" lubricated before installation
on new bicycles. You should be glad if you could care for your chain
with as good a lubricant as what is on it when you unpack it. The
stuff does not run or spatter, and if there's too much, you can always
wipe off the excess after installation on your bicycle."

The tests from Friction Facts found out what Frank has been telling us but my experience is exactly opposite of Frank. That the factory lube lasts a LONG time and lubes better than anything else I've tried.