Using steel pipe for Yakima cross bars

Old June 14th 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Using steel pipe for Yakima cross bars

Welp
I have an older yakima set for round bars, to mount on a 2002 ford explorer. I just went and bought 1" steel gas line since I read that it would fit. It ended up being about $20 for two 5' threaded tubes and 4 end caps. Too large by far.

Will be trying 3/4" gas line in the next week or so.

cheers

Old June 14th 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 6:47:46 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/13/2017 7:53 PM, wrote:
Welp
I have an older yakima set for round bars, to mount on a 2002 ford explorer. I just went and bought 1" steel gas line since I read that it would fit. It ended up being about $20 for two 5' threaded tubes and 4 end caps. Too large by far.

Will be trying 3/4" gas line in the next week or so.

cheers

Steel one inch gas pipe is 1.049 inch inside. One needs the
exact ID to compute flow rates for fluids.

Yakima uses one inch tube, structural tube being measured on
the outside.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/na...ing-d_826.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I used conduit. It was cheap. It is too light and very bendy and when a gust of wind hits the rowing shell when I'm doing 70, it gets bouncy.