Does Your City Require Bicycle Registration?

Old June 29th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default military bikes

On 6/28/2017 8:03 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

The Swiss Military were procuring a "military
bicycle" up to, at least, 2o12 when they
procured 4,100 units of the MO-12 and I also
see a news article dated 2-14 stating that
the Swiss Army was "Switzerland's defence
department has ordered the reinstatement of
the bicycle infantry for the Swiss Army in
a bid to improve fitness standards among
soldiers"

Switzerland? Do they even have an army?

Yep. Undefeated too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 29th 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default military bikes (was: Does Your City Require Bicycle Registration?)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 03:03:20 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

The Swiss Military were procuring a "military
bicycle" up to, at least, 2o12 when they
procured 4,100 units of the MO-12 and I also
see a news article dated 2-14 stating that
the Swiss Army was "Switzerland's defence
department has ordered the reinstatement of
the bicycle infantry for the Swiss Army in
a bid to improve fitness standards among
soldiers"

Switzerland? Do they even have an army?

On a per capita basis I suspect one of the largest in Europe.
" all able-bodied male citizens, are conscripted when they reach the
age of majority". About 18,000 new soldiers are enlisted annually.

"People determined unfit for service, where fitness is defined as
"satisfying physically, intellectually and mentally requirements for
military service or civil protection service and being capable of
accomplishing these services without harming oneself or others", are
exempted from service but pay an additional 3% of annual income tax
until the age of 30, unless they are affected by a disability.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 17, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

On a per capita basis I suspect one of the
largest in Europe. " all able-bodied male
citizens, are conscripted when they reach the
age of majority". About 18,000 new soldiers
are enlisted annually.

Do they have any gear as well save for ice-axes
and the Swiss army knife?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 29th 17, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 04:01:19 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

On a per capita basis I suspect one of the
largest in Europe. " all able-bodied male
citizens, are conscripted when they reach the
age of majority". About 18,000 new soldiers
are enlisted annually.

Do they have any gear as well save for ice-axes
and the Swiss army knife?

I don't know about the knife and axe but every Swiss man who has
successfully completed his army training is required to keep a rifle
at home. It is estimated that between 2.3 million and 4.5 million
military and private firearms are in circulation on Switzerland, a
country of about 8 million people.

Perhaps the knife and axe are redundant when one has fully automatic
rifle :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 17, 10:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. writes:

I don't know about the knife and axe but every Swiss
man who has successfully completed his army training
is required to keep a rifle at home. It is estimated
that between 2.3 million and 4.5 million military
and private firearms are in circulation on
Switzerland, a country of about 8 million people.

Perhaps the knife and axe are redundant when one has
fully automatic rifle :-)

Ace: Sir, I don't understand. Who needs a knife in
a nuclear war? All you have to do is push
a button... sir?

(Zim yanks the knife out of the post.)

Zim: Put your hand on the post, private.

Ace: Sir? (Hesitates, but obeys.)

(Zim throws the knife, sticking Ace's hand the the post.)

Zim: Observe! The enemy cannot push a button
*if you disable his hand*.

OK, the Swiss have an army and they have rifles.

What I mean is, do they have a real, modern army with
tanks, fighters, helicopters, and big guns, trained to
do war?

Or is a symbolic, traditional national-pride thing,
like sumo wrestling or bull fighting?

Old June 29th 17, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:20:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

[...]

The Swiss military seems to be made up of about 135,000 personnel on
active duty. They appear to have the following forces. Two Infantry
brigades; two mountain infantry brigades; two armored brigades and
additionally two large reserve brigades (Infantry Brigade 7 and
Mountain Brigade 10) exist.

A brigade is a major tactical military formation that is typically
composed of three to six battalions plus supporting elements

They also have an air force currently equipped with approximately 270
fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 17, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

The Swiss military seems to be made up of
about 135,000 personnel on active duty.
They appear to have the following forces.
Two Infantry brigades; two mountain infantry
brigades; two armored brigades and
additionally two large reserve brigades
(Infantry Brigade 7 and Mountain Brigade
10) exist.

A brigade is a major tactical military
formation that is typically composed of three
to six battalions plus supporting elements

They also have an air force currently
equipped with approximately 270 fixed- and
rotary-wing aircraft.

OK, case closed. Thank you

Old June 29th 17, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/28/2017 9:01 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

On a per capita basis I suspect one of the
largest in Europe. " all able-bodied male
citizens, are conscripted when they reach the
age of majority". About 18,000 new soldiers
are enlisted annually.

Do they have any gear as well save for ice-axes
and the Swiss army knife?

You seem to be unfamiliar with The Confederation's cultu

http://modernfirearms.net/assault/sw...-stgw57-e.html

Swiss neutrality is not an intellectual exercise. In
military theory, Swiss are considered both formidable in
defense and also ungarrisonable.

Old June 29th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi writes:

You seem to be unfamiliar with The Confederation's
cultu

http://modernfirearms.net/assault/sw...-stgw57-e.html

Swiss neutrality is not an intellectual exercise.
In military theory, Swiss are considered both
formidable in defense and also ungarrisonable.

There is no surprise as to their engineering and
industrial capabilities to do rifles and guns and all
sort of such things. Actually I expected that.
But a modern army and air force I assumed they didn't
hold because I never heard of Swiss military
maneuvers, or of any huge weapon systems like tanks
and fighters as you hear of from other countries, not
just the big producers like the UK, France, Russia and
so on but also countries like Poland or Gruzia getting
US fighters, Denmark sending a sub to Iraq and so on,
not to mention the Arab states getting all the top
notch gear from the US and Russia. Never heard of
Switzerland in any such setting. As for the
intellectual exercise I know because Sweden had an
incredibly strong and self-reliant force at the time
we were boasting the most about being neutral or
unaligned (which was a scam as we were in the US or at
least the anti-SSSR/Russia camp in all but words).
Now this is mostly gone tho. Finland kept theirs which
is why they have a much sounder view of Russia with
much less hysteria. But they are more basic. We have
our own subs and fighters! But it is an open question
which approach is better. As for Switzerland perhaps
it is not comparable to either.

Old June 29th 17, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

I found I list he

http://www.globalfirepower.com/count...ing-europe.asp

"European Powers Ranked by Military Strength Ranking"

1 France
2 United Kingdom 1-2 old-school colonial powers
3 Germany
4 Italy 3-4 WW2 upstarts
5 Poland
6 Spain 1-6 all countries with huge populations
7 Greece 6-7 right wing dictatorships/military rule; 1-7 all NATO IINM
8 Sweden Sweden is 8? Must de due to technology
9 Ukraine Ukraine at 9 and huge country/population but got totally owned by Russia
10 Czech Republic advanced arms industry way back
11 Switzerland Switzerland at 11!
12 Netherlands skills beyond belief with everything they do
13 Romania lots of former SSSR and/or Eastern-bloc countries below
14 Belarus
15 Denmark
16 Finland Finland only at 16! Must be lack of technology because they are strong
17 Austria
18 Portugal compare Spain and Greece
19 Hungary
20 Belgium lots of tradition, EU arms trade hub
21 Bulgaria
22 Croatia
23 Slovakia
24 Serbia