Question about integrated headsets to the experts

Old June 29th 05, 06:08 PM
Derk

Default Question about integrated headsets to the experts

Hi,

I would like to know if you think that integrated headsets influence the
longevity of framesets in a negative way. i.o.w. : did you ever have
framessets that became usesless because of wear of I.H. ?

I am more and more convinced that the noise problems I have with my bike are
caused by wear of the I.H.....

Greetings, Derk
Old June 29th 05, 11:04 PM
Tom Orr

Derk wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if you think that integrated headsets influence
the longevity of framesets in a negative way. i.o.w. : did you ever
have framessets that became usesless because of wear of I.H. ?

Derk

I think the wear in integrated designs is limited to the bearing races. I
read a suggestion that there might be problems if the headset worked loose.
It would IMO have to be very loose for the bearing races to be moving in
preference to the ball or needle bearings themselves.

Tom.

Old June 30th 05, 02:27 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Derk wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if you think that integrated headsets influence the
longevity of framesets in a negative way. i.o.w. : did you ever have
framessets that became usesless because of wear of I.H. ?

I am more and more convinced that the noise problems I have with my bike are
caused by wear of the I.H.....

Greetings, Derk

Well, if the bearing sits inside an aluminum headtube and is subject to
the stresses of any headset, the pounding up and down, perpendicular to
the bearings, yes, over time, these areas will become deformed and no
amount of bearing replacement will help.

Remember that integrated 1 1/8inch headsets were driven by aluminum
frame makers who loved the idea of a BIG headtube so that the BIG and
often oval down tube was easier to mitre and weld.

Old June 30th 05, 02:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Derk wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know if you think that integrated headsets influence the
longevity of framesets in a negative way. i.o.w. : did you ever have
framessets that became usesless because of wear of I.H. ?

I am more and more convinced that the noise problems I have with my bike are
caused by wear of the I.H.....

Greetings, Derk

The biggest problem we have seen if the place in the headtube where the
bearings live is not machined papallel to each other or are not round.
No help for those. Some pretty pricey frames also.