Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace?

Old November 23rd 03, 12:13 AM
Emily

Default Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace?

If you were spec'ing out a new carbon-fiber bike with Shimano components,
which parts of the grouppo would you choose Dura-Ace, and which Ultegra? I
understand that at least for certain components, Ultegra might be preferable
to DA.

Weight is important to me, but the ability to handle 4000-5000 miles a year
without excessive maintenance/wear is even more important. I don't want to
be replacing everything yearly if I can help it.

Oh, and I will be wanting a triple chainring on this bike, not double. I
understand that DA is not good for triples.

Many thanks in advance!

Emily

Old November 23rd 03, 12:55 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

For a triple, I'd opt for Ultegra. The DuraAce triple is nice, but has some
problems sometimes with the chain coming off the middle chainring up front.
Ultegra weighs a little bit more, but you could always create a hybrid by
using a DuraAce rear derailluer, with Ultegra for the front der, crankset,
bb & shifters.

Eventually one suspects there will be a 10-speed DuraAce triple that works
so well we'll all want it, but for now, Ultegra looks like a very practical
option. OR- heaven forbid that Peter read this- consider a Campagnolo
Chorus or Record 10-speed triple. Very nice stuff as well.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

link.net...

Old November 23rd 03, 02:17 AM
Pete Hausner

"Emily" wrote in message
If you were spec'ing out a new carbon-fiber bike with Shimano components,
which parts of the grouppo would you choose Dura-Ace, and which Ultegra?

I understand that at least for certain components, Ultegra might be
preferable

Mike Jacoubowsky responded:
The DuraAce triple is nice, but has some problems sometimes with the chain
coming off the middle chainring up front. Ultegra weighs a little bit more, but
you could always create a hybrid by
using a DuraAce rear derailluer, with Ultegra for the front der, crankset,bb &
shifters.

Mike,

I've got two DA triple setups...and both function flawlessly. Both are
installed on bikes with chainstays a tad over 40 cm. They've both got
reasonable milage on them...one is well over 5K miles and two years old.

First kid on the block to have one.

Even with the funky triplizer setup and the ba**ard granny ring BCD, the
ability to run a 39/53 really works well for me. The granny is a true granny in
my case...and since I actually do use it as a bailout, perhaps I'm not seeing
what you've described, as the drop to the granny is not an every ride
thing...I've never dropped the chain on either bike, IIRC.

My only issue has been remembering to keep cable tension slack enuf to allow
all trim functions. the triple wants to be run much slacker than the double,
IMHO...

PH
Old November 23rd 03, 02:29 AM
Sheldon Brown

Pete Hausner wrote:

I've got two DA triple setups...and both function flawlessly. Both are
installed on bikes with chainstays a tad over 40 cm. They've both got
reasonable milage on them...one is well over 5K miles and two years old.

Even with the funky triplizer setup and the ba**ard granny ring BCD, the
ability to run a 39/53 really works well for me.

That's an option with Ultegra too. We sell a lot of TA 38 tooth middle
rings.

This also allows a more reasonable granny gear, we commonly do 26 tooth
for that application, which lets you use a nice tight rear cluster and
still have a decent low "bail out" gear.

Sheldon "Custom Gearing" Brown
| In the final analysis, our most basic common link, |
| is that we all inhabit this small planet, |
| we all breathe the same air, |
| we all cherish our children's futures, |
| and we are all mortal. --John F. Kennedy |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old November 23rd 03, 02:43 AM
daveornee

Emily wrote:
If you were spec'ing out a new carbon-fiber bike with Shimano
components, which parts of the grouppo would you choose Dura-Ace, and
which Ultegra? I understand that at least for certain components,
Ultegra might be preferable to DA.
Weight is important to me, but the ability to handle 4000-5000 miles a
year without excessive maintenance/wear is even more important. I don't
want to be replacing everything yearly if I can help it.
Oh, and I will be wanting a triple chainring on this bike, not double. I
understand that DA is not good for triples.
Many thanks in advance!
Emily

I suggest 7700 series DA everywhere except crank, BB, & FD. The 7800
front hub and 7800 DA brake calipers are also quite nice. Have you tried
the Campy Brifter levers?

Old November 23rd 03, 05:44 AM
Mike S.

"Emily" wrote in message
link.net...
If you were spec'ing out a new carbon-fiber bike with Shimano components,
which parts of the grouppo would you choose Dura-Ace, and which Ultegra?

understand that at least for certain components, Ultegra might be

preferable
to DA.

Weight is important to me, but the ability to handle 4000-5000 miles a

year
without excessive maintenance/wear is even more important. I don't want

be replacing everything yearly if I can help it.

Oh, and I will be wanting a triple chainring on this bike, not double. I
understand that DA is not good for triples.

Many thanks in advance!

Emily

I like the way the D/A shifters feel vs. the Ultegras, so that'd be the only
thing I'd change.

Campy shifters and rear derailleur would go a ways towards eliminating
possible triple "shifting gremlins."

Mike

Old November 23rd 03, 06:54 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike,

I've got two DA triple setups...and both function flawlessly. Both are
installed on bikes with chainstays a tad over 40 cm. They've both got
reasonable milage on them...one is well over 5K miles and two years old.

Pete: There's quite a bit of variability in experience with the DuraAce
triple. Two separate issues make the difference- First, some of the early
ones had very stiff left-side shift levers... stiff enough that the effort
made to get it to shift from middle to small front chainring became
something of an interruption in the "flow" of pedaling/shifting. We found
that hand-selecting shifters with a softer action took care of this problem
nicely. The second issue has to do with the middle chainring itself; some
apparently had a slightly-different profiling that allowed the chain to come
off a bit too easily.

I should have placed more qualifications in my post, as some people have/had
no issues at all with the DuraAce triple, and others who experienced
difficulties were, with a bit of patience, able to have those problems
either eliminated or greatly alleviated.

BUT... it remains the case the DuraAce triples are considerably more
problematic in setup and generally just fussier overall than the Ultegra
triples (although, as mentioned above, this isn't always the case, and it
can generally be dealt with effectively). The Ultegra setup simply works,
period, each and every time. It's ironic, but I'd still say that the
Ultegra triple sets the standard for others to come to.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old November 23rd 03, 12:51 PM
Pete Hausner

From: "Mike Jacoubowsky...
BUT... it remains the case the DuraAce triples are considerably more
problematic in setup and generally just fussier overall than the Ultegra
triples (although, as mentioned above, this isn't always the case, and it
can generally be dealt with effectively). The Ultegra setup simply works,
period, each and every time. It's ironic, but I'd still say that the
Ultegra triple sets the standard for others to come to. BRBR

Thanks for the explanation , Mike...

PH

Old November 23rd 03, 01:36 PM
KinkyCowboy

If Ultegra is a reliable and functional groupset, aren't there better
places to spend $500 than on upgrading to DuraAce, if you're on a
fixed budget?

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary
Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts.
Old November 23rd 03, 02:21 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

emil- If you were spec'ing out a new carbon-fiber bike with Shimano
components,
which parts of the grouppo would you choose Dura-Ace, and which Ultegra?
BRBR

You do know that DA 9s, double crank is pretty much out of production, yes??
Along with the crank and crappy BB?

And unless you know of a good bike shop, like ours(;-)), it will be diffucult
to mix groups when using shimano-

emilys- Weight is important to me, but the ability to handle 4000-5000 miles
a year
without excessive maintenance/wear is even more important. I don't want to
be replacing everything yearly if I can help it. BRBR

Just get DA 10s, if ya gotta get shimano. It will be supported for a few years,
at least. ultegra as you see it will also be essentially out of production for
2005.

But if weight and reliability/maintainability is important..look at 2004
Chorus-cheaper than DA, a wee bit heavier, lighter than ultegra...same price
with a carbon crank....

emily Oh, and I will be wanting a triple chainring on this bike, not double.
understand that DA is not good for triples. BRBR

Then ya want ultegra or Campagnolo...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Dura Ace vs. Ultegra STI Churchill General 16 July 15th 04 01:35 PM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke Racing 18 April 10th 04 12:43 AM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM