Headlight

Old August 28th 03, 08:33 AM
Bruni

Default Headlight

I used to use rechargeables for commuting, but the 5 Led cateye is so good
and lasts so long (4aa 30+hrs) I reserve my old light for fast road riding
and off road as it is brighter.
Tom
--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Paul Bobby wrote in message
Spent my first summer commuting regularly on two wheels and would like
to continue into the fall.
Unfortunately, my commute starts early.....it's starting to get a little
bit dark out there at 6AM.
Recommendations for a front lighting system?

Old August 28th 03, 11:57 AM
trg

That depends a bit on your commute. Is your object to see or be seen? Can
you leave the light on the bike or do you have to take it off to keep it
from getting nicked? Do you mind recharging batteries?

Personally I have a helmet mounted NiteRider. It started life as bar
mounted, but I got tired real fast of attaching and removing it from the
bike all the time. Now, I don't have to worry about removing the light and
battery each time I lock up my bike, I just take my helmet with me. Since I
commute mainly on well lit city streets I use it to be seen rather than to
see. And because it's attached to my head, I find it very easy to aim it at
a driver to be sure he sees me. This is especially useful for the most
dangerous situations visibility wise- someone approaching from a street on
the left or oncoming traffic turning left. I can aim it at them and because
of the power of the lamp, I'm sure they see me. Can also be aimed at
rearview/side view mirrors of car to be sure they know I'm next to them.

Old August 28th 03, 01:10 PM
Spider1977

I've got a Cateye Luminux fitted to the bar. It gives a reasonable light
about 3 metres in front of the bike, but not fantastic. Main purpose is
to be seen by those pesky motorists, riders without lights and
pedestrians on cycle paths.

Also get a good rear light. You don't want to get rear ended!

I also use reflectors in the spokes and wear irridescent straps on my
legs when riding at night. I'm lit up like a Xmas tree in the headlights
of a car, from any direction. But it's better to be safe than squashed.

Old August 29th 03, 11:04 AM
Paul Bobby

Thank you, all, for the advise.
My commute is about an hour, on city streets, pretty well-lit.
Main purpose is to enhance visibility

Paul

Old August 29th 03, 01:24 PM
David Damerell

Paul Bobby wrote:
Unfortunately, my commute starts early.....it's starting to get a little
bit dark out there at 6AM.
Recommendations for a front lighting system?

My commute is about an hour, on city streets, pretty well-lit.
Main purpose is to enhance visibility

In that case you don't need a "seeing" light, and one of the modern crop
of small blue-white LED lights such as the Cateye EL-300 will be perfectly
adequate.

Naturally rear lights and reflectors and reflective clothing are of
greater importance much of the time.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old August 30th 03, 01:48 AM
Steven Scharf

Paul Bobby wrote in message ...
Spent my first summer commuting regularly on two wheels and would like
to continue into the fall.
Unfortunately, my commute starts early.....it's starting to get a little
bit dark out there at 6AM.
Recommendations for a front lighting system?

You can build one pretty cheaply.

14W sealed beam $7
5AH or 2.5AH sealed lead acid battery $15
Battery charger $14
Xenon strobe $9

You can go up from there with NiMH batteries, brighter
bulbs, etc.

For details, see: "http://nordicgroup.us/s78"

Try to avoid the LED lights, back and front. These
are not bright enough to be useful. In dark areas the
toy lights let you be seen, but not see much. In well
lighted areas the toy lights don't let you be seen.
Old August 30th 03, 01:53 AM
Steven Scharf

David Damerell wrote in message ...
Paul Bobby wrote:
Unfortunately, my commute starts early.....it's starting to get a little
bit dark out there at 6AM.
Recommendations for a front lighting system?

My commute is about an hour, on city streets, pretty well-lit.
Main purpose is to enhance visibility

In that case you don't need a "seeing" light, and one of the modern crop
of small blue-white LED lights such as the Cateye EL-300 will be perfectly
adequate.

Naturally rear lights and reflectors and reflective clothing are of
greater importance much of the time.

If you don't need a seeing light, then combine one of those
front LED lights (to be legal), with front and rear Xenon
strobes (to be seen).

"http://store.yahoo.com/swps/ligprofbikst.html"

You still need to be seen from the front in lighted areas
(i.e. cars turning in front of you).
Old August 31st 03, 06:27 PM
Thornhill

"Paul Bobby" wrote in message

Recommendations for a front lighting system?

This site: http://www.roadbikerider.com/pr4.htm#Cateye has a generally
favorable review of a Cateye LED light.

mike

---

Do you guys commute in the winter? Slider2699 General 128 December 20th 04 07:31 AM
Gen3 LED headlight Mark Stone General 4 July 13th 04 04:48 AM
Helmet lights Claire Petersky General 4 November 27th 03 01:33 PM
Cateye LED headlights Horace General 24 October 3rd 03 09:46 AM
Light recommendations? jmk General 35 September 7th 03 05:21 PM