Road bike, but need mountain bike tires!!

Old August 21st 03, 04:02 AM
Paul Romano

Default Road bike, but need mountain bike tires!!

I have a 1999 Bianchi Veloce, which I love. I only ride on the road
(recreational, no racing) using Michelin Super Comp 700x23c. ]

I've had two flats recently (from extremely small pieces of glass). Also,
I've had to dismount and walk my bike through unexpected road construction
zones, which seem to be everywhere.

Where I live, there is so much road construction, residential construction,
commercial construction, gravel paving and road debris (broken glass,
stones, dirt, and gravel), that I think I should give up my "racing" tires
and go to bigger tires with heavier tread to negotiate all these obstacles.

Does anyone else have this experience, and, if so, what tires would you
recommend for Mavic CXP21 rims that would fit on my Bianchi?

Thanks,
Paul Romano

Old August 21st 03, 05:18 AM
Tim Lines

You could do what I did: buy another bike or 7 or 8 and keep some of
them set up for riding through high risk areas. Other people with
better sense might just keep a spare set of wheels. I've had good
experience with Conti Gatorskins, Specialized Turbo Armadillos, and IRC
Triathlon Duros riding through areas where there might be random rice
grain sized glass splinters that I might not see due to rain, darkness
or just plain blindness.

A fast bike with nice tires is an awful cool thing. I couldn't give up
such a thing just because of an ocassional flat.

Old August 21st 03, 05:51 AM
Dan Brussee

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 03:02:31 GMT, "Paul Romano"
wrote:

I have a 1999 Bianchi Veloce, which I love. I only ride on the road
(recreational, no racing) using Michelin Super Comp 700x23c. ]

I've had two flats recently (from extremely small pieces of glass). Also,
I've had to dismount and walk my bike through unexpected road construction
zones, which seem to be everywhere.

Where I live, there is so much road construction, residential construction,
commercial construction, gravel paving and road debris (broken glass,
stones, dirt, and gravel), that I think I should give up my "racing" tires
and go to bigger tires with heavier tread to negotiate all these obstacles.

Does anyone else have this experience, and, if so, what tires would you
recommend for Mavic CXP21 rims that would fit on my Bianchi?

It's not so much the rim, but the frame that could be an issue. You
should be able to get a 700x35 or even higher tire width, but make
sure the tire will fit in the frame once inflated. I know my road
frame will not take anything over a 25c or so width. My 35 "hybrid"
tires certainly will not fit.

Are you 100% sure it was the glass? Is it possible you did not have
proper pressure in the tires? It would be quite common to get
snakebite type flats if you are hitting road potholes, etc.

Old August 21st 03, 01:51 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Paul- Does anyone else have this experience, and, if so, what tires would you
recommend for Mavic CXP21 rims that would fit on my Bianchi? BRBR

Conti Gatorskins in 25c...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 21st 03, 02:29 PM
Raymo853

I have run into the same issue you have on my road bike. The posting from
Qui si parla Campagnolo did recommend a great puncture resistant tire, the
Continental Gatorskins in 25c width. I ran those tires in the 23 width and
never got one puncture until I had 7000 miles on the rear and it just plain
wore through. Of course a 25 width tire will not help much over 23 in
traction in loose stuff. As a few of the posters mentioned, your frame and
brakes probably will allow a 28 width tire to fit on your bike, Bianchi is
better in this respect than most bike makers that make frames that cannot
fit anything larger than a 25. The Continental Gatorskin is made as a 28 but
still does not have very chunky tread. You could try something like
Continental's Top Touring Pro tire in a 28 width. It has a pretty
substantial tread and may fit in your Bianchi.

As you can see, I love Continental tires, they have never disappointed me.

http://www.contitires.com/Pages/Cont...ProductSet.htm

.. .

Old August 21st 03, 03:23 PM
Tom

Yes, four in one week. I bought the puncture resistant tubes from
Performance and then the green stuff, slime. Next step was to either put a
tank tread on it, or shoot it with my trusty pistol.ha!

Tom

Old August 21st 03, 05:30 PM
Erik Brooks

"Bruni" suggested:
Rivendell ruffy-tuffys

I've heard only good things about the Ruffy-Tuffys (and the
Rolly-Pollys), but I think that they only come in 28mm width, which
may not fit.

Erik Brooks
Old August 21st 03, 05:35 PM
Thomas Reynolds

"Paul Romano" wrote in message ...
I have a 1999 Bianchi Veloce, which I love. I only ride on the road
(recreational, no racing) using Michelin Super Comp 700x23c. ]

I've had two flats recently (from extremely small pieces of glass). Also,
I've had to dismount and walk my bike through unexpected road construction
zones, which seem to be everywhere.

Where I live, there is so much road construction, residential construction,
commercial construction, gravel paving and road debris (broken glass,
stones, dirt, and gravel), that I think I should give up my "racing" tires
and go to bigger tires with heavier tread to negotiate all these obstacles.

Does anyone else have this experience, and, if so, what tires would you
recommend for Mavic CXP21 rims that would fit on my Bianchi?

Thanks,
Paul Romano

I have had thousands of miles of good experience with the Armadillos:
http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqSect...el evel=tires

2002 Nimbus Armadillo is on sale for 20 bucks.

Tom
Old August 21st 03, 10:44 PM
Paul Romano

Well, it's not so much the flats, although they are annoying, as having to
get off the bike to negotiate chipped gravel paved roads, piles of dirt on
the shoulder, pot holes, etc. I will try the Gatorskins, as many have
recommended them, but another bike is not a bad idea, e.g. a hybrid.

Thanks for the input!

newsKX0b.212471$Ho3.28307@sccrnsc03...