mounting fenders on a cyclocross bike

Old August 30th 03, 04:11 AM
Lee

Default mounting fenders on a cyclocross bike

Okay, so I'm going to have a mount put on the seat stays for the rear
fender, and drill the front fork. My builder asked me an interesting
question, though...does the SKS front fender mount on the *front* of the
fork or the *rear* of the fork?

He's going to drill and tap a single hole for me, and wants to know which
side of the fork.

TIA,

Lee

Old September 1st 03, 02:37 AM
ant

"Lee" wrote in message ...
Okay, so I'm going to have a mount put on the seat stays for the rear
fender, and drill the front fork. My builder asked me an interesting
question, though...does the SKS front fender mount on the *front* of the
fork or the *rear* of the fork?

He's going to drill and tap a single hole for me, and wants to know which
side of the fork.

is that to say that your builder is only making one hole in your fork?
if so, wouldnt it make sense to drill right through, or tap both
holes? it takes what- 2 minutes extra, and makes your life easier in
hte long run, when SKS fenders are outmoded by new carbon fiber models
(i jest) or you want to change things. seems like it might be more
clean and stylish to have just the one hole, but if youre running
fenders at all, that cant be a real worry

just a thoguht,
anthony
Old September 1st 03, 05:37 PM
Tim McNamara

It's better to mount the tab on the front fender behind the fork.
That puts the back end of the fender further down the wheel, so that
you reduce the amount of spray hitting your feet.