Hard Trail Mountain Bike's to consider?

Old June 23rd 12, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John[_28_]

Default Hard Trail Mountain Bike's to consider?

What Hardtrail Mountain Bikes would you recommend considering in price
bracket between £450 and £650? I am hoping to get a bike soon that I am
going to use for commuting but also out in the Lakes, Peak District,
Wales, Scotland and Yorkshire Dales etc. I have been doing a lot of
research into this and think I am going to sign up through my work for
the Cycle to Work scheme so will probably rule out anything from
Halfords e.g. Carrera Fury or Voodoo Hoodoo (not that they have my frame
size in stock anyway).

Also does anyone know what the difference is between the Specialized
Rockhopper Comp 2011 and 2012? I tried to do a comparison on one of the
bike websites but unfortunately wasn't working. For the 2011 version it
is listed as reduced from £900 to £750, but the 2012 version is standard
retail of £700. Is the 2011 much better and does the 2012 have
downgraded components or something? That one is slightly out of my reach
even with discount but was just curious as to what the difference is
between the two model years?

Lastly, when during the year do the next years bike verions get
released? Is it mid year or closer to the end of year? I am sure I saw
something for 2012 listed in July 2011 but may be mistaken?

Cheers,

John
Old June 25th 12, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Lewis

On 23/06/2012 20:54, John wrote:
What Hardtrail Mountain Bikes would you recommend considering in price
bracket between £450 and £650?

My choice would be influenced by what a good local bike shop sells eg
mine is a dealer for Marin and Whyte.

Bike Radar is good for comparisons:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain

They tend to like Genesis eg:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/...ore-26-1/specs

£550

--
Mark Lewis, North Somerset

Old June 25th 12, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 23/06/2012 20:54, John wrote:
What Hardtrail Mountain Bikes would you recommend considering in price
bracket between £450 and £650?

You could get half a dozen of these for that price;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...k&iozone=PLPz1

University
Old June 25th 12, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/06/2012 17:34, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:
On 23/06/2012 20:54, John wrote:
What Hardtrail Mountain Bikes would you recommend considering in price
bracket between £450 and £650?

You could get half a dozen of these for that price;

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...k&iozone=PLPz1

£100 (with added mudguards and a pump)? Not bad value.

Not of course, that bikes should come without either necessary accessory...
Old June 25th 12, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR (was dr6092)

On Jun 23, 8:54*pm, John wrote:

Also does anyone know what the difference is between the Specialized
Rockhopper Comp 2011 and 2012? I tried to do a comparison on one of the
bike websites but unfortunately wasn't working. For the 2011 version it
is listed as reduced from £900 to £750, but the 2012 version is standard
retail of £700. Is the 2011 much better and does the 2012 have
downgraded components or something? That one is slightly out of my reach
even with discount but was just curious as to what the difference is
between the two model years?

The Evans comparison didn't work for me either but I could open
separate tabs. The most obvious thing is that the weight has increased
by 1kg which most people would view as downgrading.
Old June 26th 12, 03:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Hardtail Mountain Bikes to consider?

I fixed the subject for you.