Bicycle on the back cover of "The Complete Book of Bicycling"

Old December 13th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
E Goforth

Default Bicycle on the back cover of "The Complete Book of Bicycling"

Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store. The copyright on the one I
have is 1970. I remember this book as being in pretty much every public
library I ever went into as a kid.

There's an Italian racing bike on the back cover and spine of the jacket
that kind of morphs into a Raleigh 3-speed on the front cover. Does
anyone know what kind of bike is on the back cover? It has one of those
Made in Italy decals on the seat tube you used to see on Italian frames,
Campy Neuvo Record components with center-pull brakes. The seat
cluster is chromed and rather distinctive looking. The bike is blue
with white decals.

-Eric
Old December 13th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:34:16 +0000, E Goforth wrote:

Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store. The copyright on the one I
have is 1970. I remember this book as being in pretty much every public
library I ever went into as a kid.

There's an Italian racing bike on the back cover and spine of the jacket
that kind of morphs into a Raleigh 3-speed on the front cover. Does
anyone know what kind of bike is on the back cover?

I have that same book. In my hands now. I'm not sure what it is.
Certainly looks Italian, but it is not a Cinelli, not a Masi. The seat
lug looks a lot like my Frejus, except I can't see the oval cutout that
should be in the middle of the lug. It's older, though, than mine, if it
is a Frejus. It even has a clamp-on derailleur cable stop and (I think)
clamp-on cable guides at (above) the bottom bracket.

Funny to look though this book. It even has a buying guide for high-end
bikes, topped out by a Cinelli at $255.

Campy Neuvo Record components with center-pull brakes. The seat
cluster is chromed and rather distinctive looking.

Yes, it is. Decals are a bit generic, though, so it's hard to place.

I also have a little white dog like the one in the basket of the 3-speed.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein
Old December 14th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"E Goforth" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store. The copyright on the one I
have is 1970. I remember this book as being in pretty much every public
library I ever went into as a kid.

There's an Italian racing bike on the back cover and spine of the jacket
that kind of morphs into a Raleigh 3-speed on the front cover. Does
anyone know what kind of bike is on the back cover? It has one of those
Made in Italy decals on the seat tube you used to see on Italian frames,
Campy Neuvo Record components with center-pull brakes. The seat
cluster is chromed and rather distinctive looking. The bike is blue
with white decals.

-Eric

I'm thinking that it was an Atala. I'll have to go down in the basement
and dig out my copy of the book.

Chas.

Old December 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:34:16 GMT, E Goforth wrote:

Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store. The copyright on the one I
have is 1970. I remember this book as being in pretty much every public
library I ever went into as a kid.

There's an Italian racing bike on the back cover and spine of the jacket
that kind of morphs into a Raleigh 3-speed on the front cover. Does
anyone know what kind of bike is on the back cover? It has one of those
Made in Italy decals on the seat tube you used to see on Italian frames,
Campy Neuvo Record components with center-pull brakes. The seat
cluster is chromed and rather distinctive looking. The bike is blue
with white decals.

Is that the book that a had pictures of a cute girl stretching in the
middle of it? Ah, the memories.
--
JT
****************************
Old December 14th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

you'll have to tell us which edition (there were 3x editions) of this
classic book you have. most of them have a Schwinn Paramount on the
front or back cover, I cannot remember which one.

Sloan's book caused me to fall in love with bicycles.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old December 14th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric

Donald Gillies wrote:
you'll have to tell us which edition (there were 3x editions) of this
classic book you have. most of them have a Schwinn Paramount on the
front or back cover, I cannot remember which one.

Sloan's book caused me to fall in love with bicycles.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

10th printing, I'm pretty sure first edition, copyright 1970.
Definately not a Paramount, not with the oval Italian tricolor sticker
on the seat tube. Front cover definately a Raleigh 3-speed. You can
see the Raleigh crest on the fork blade and a bit of it on the head
tube.

Atala sounds plausible.

-Eric

Old December 14th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

E Goforth wrote:
Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store.

Ah yes. The book that explained that 700c wheels were 700 centimeters
in diameter, right?

- Frank Krygowski

Old December 14th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:02:46 -0800, Eric wrote:

Atala sounds plausible.

Except that the Atalas on Classic Rendezvous all have "ATALA" on the side
of the seat tube, which on the book is essentially blank, except for a
crest that you can't really see. The pictures there are pretty crummy, so
you can't tell what the seat lug looks like, although it certainly could
be the same as the bike on the book.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |
Old December 14th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
oups.com...

E Goforth wrote:
Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store.

Ah yes. The book that explained that 700c wheels were 700 centimeters
in diameter, right?

- Frank Krygowski

That's what I always believed.... ;-)

It wasn't until the ERD dimensions came along that I realized the error in
my thinking.

Chas.

Old December 14th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:51:16 -0800, * * Chas wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

E Goforth wrote:
Hello,

I have a copy of the "The Complete Book of Bicycling" by Eugene A.
Sloane that I picked up at a thrift store.

Ah yes. The book that explained that 700c wheels were 700 centimeters
in diameter, right?

- Frank Krygowski

That's what I always believed.... ;-)

Even the "centimeters" part?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong