Healthy is cycling?

Old April 5th 18, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Healthy is cycling? Cyclists make better drivers!

On 05/04/2018 17:33, colwyn wrote:
On 05/04/2018 16:43, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 6:32:59 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:

I'm 67 this year, been driving for over 46 years.

About time you took a retest.

Care to tell us of any test a cyclist takes to use the road?
Come along now. A bicycle is classed as a road vehicle so there must
be some
sort of test?
I can predict any lame reply ........... weight, speed of a car --------
blah, blah and blah

People with experience of cycling are more attentive when at the wheel
of a car, according to a study from Australia which sought to establish
how people process visual information while driving.
The study was conducted by Lisa J Hansen, of the Australian National
University, Canberra, and Vanessa Beanland of the University of the
Sunshine Coast.
It was published in the journal, Accident Analysis & Prevention, under
the title, Do cyclists make better drivers? Associations between cycling
experience and change detection in road scenes
(link is external)
They were looking to expand on existing research that established a link
between the length of time someone has been driving and their
attentional allocation.

For this study, which sought to examine the impact of non-driving
factors, they compared drivers who had cycling experience
(‘cyclist-drivers’) with those who did not have any.
The researchers said that based on existing situation awareness field
test studies, they expected the cyclist-drivers group to perform better.
Subjects were split into three groups. The largest comprised 42
experienced motorists aged 30-50, of whom 17 were women and 25 men.
There were also 22 drivers and 20 driver-cyclists.
Participants took what is called ‘change detection flicker test’ in
which they had to choose whether two alternating images they were shown
were identical or different.
The image being either a road sign, a car, a pedestrian or a bicycle,
and according to researchers, the type of picture shown affected
accuracy, with members of all groups slower at detecting changes to road
sign images.
And while accuracy did not vary significantly across groups,
“cyclist-drivers were significantly faster than drivers at identifying
changes, with the effect being largest for bicycle and sign changes,”
researchers said,

They added: “Results suggest that cycling experience is associated with
more efficient attentional processing for road scenes.”

So they should easily pass a test. I wonder why they break so many
laws, both legal and common sense laws? And why they plough on
regardless when faced with a dangerous situation?
Old April 5th 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Healthy is cycling?

wrote:

I'm 67 this year, been driving for over 46 years.

About time you took a retest.

Care to tell us of any test a cyclist takes to use the road? Come
along now. A bicycle is classed as a road vehicle so there must be
some sort of test? I can predict any lame reply ........... weight,
speed of a car -------- blah, blah and blah

My car licence has P category allowing me to ride a moped (ie, a heavy
bicycle that can do 30mph). I expect yours does too. You think a plain
bicycle requires something extra?
Old April 5th 18, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 05/04/18 19:08, MrCheerful wrote:
On 05/04/2018 17:33, colwyn wrote:

They added: “Results suggest that cycling experience is associated
with more efficient attentional processing for road scenes.”

So they should easily pass a test.* I wonder why they break so many
laws, both legal and common sense laws?

Most have passed a test in a wheeled vehicle.

And why they plough on
regardless when faced with a dangerous situation?

Were the various crashes you have had out of your hands?
Old April 5th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:

I'm 67 this year, been driving for over 46 years.

About time you took a retest.

Care to tell us of any test a cyclist takes to use the road? Come
along now. A bicycle is classed as a road vehicle so there must be
some sort of test? I can predict any lame reply ........... weight,
speed of a car -------- blah, blah and blah

My car licence has P category allowing me to ride a moped (ie, a heavy
bicycle that can do 30mph). I expect yours does too. You think a plain
bicycle requires something extra?

Blah, blah and blah.

Old April 5th 18, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

wrote:

I'm 67 this year, been driving for over 46 years.

About time you took a retest.

Care to tell us of any test a cyclist takes to use the road? Come
along now. A bicycle is classed as a road vehicle so there must be
some sort of test? I can predict any lame reply ........... weight,
speed of a car -------- blah, blah and blah

My car licence has P category allowing me to ride a moped (ie, a heavy
bicycle that can do 30mph). I expect yours does too. You think a plain
bicycle requires something extra?

Blah, blah and blah.

Go on then, explain (if you can, which looks unlikely from your reply)
what needs to be tested.

How healthy is cycling? Bod[_5_] UK 1 August 2nd 15 10:01 AM
The NHS knows cycling keeps you healthy... Darkside UK 3 April 26th 14 01:20 PM
Cycling maybe not so healthy after all! Derek C UK 30 January 9th 11 07:26 AM
Cycling IS a healthy way to travel or is it? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 5 June 23rd 10 11:52 AM
Cycling is healthy! Tony W UK 1 February 3rd 06 07:43 PM