Mountain Biker Turns Himself into a Quadriplegic

Old May 8th 11, 06:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Mountain Biker Turns Himself into a Quadriplegic

http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...550/story.html

Mountain biker injured in Kamloops mishap

By Walter Cordery, Daily News May 7, 2011

Nanaimo's Peter Isherwood is laying [sic] in a Vancouver hospital bed
fighting to keep the use of his arms and legs, following a recent
mountain-biking accident week in Kamloops.

It was not the celebration he had planned for his 34th birthday.

Isherwood has been riding downhill for years and is considered "very
good," said his friend Brett Bickerton.

"He's been biking his whole life and this was just a freak accident
that happened after he was airborne, like he has been hundreds of
times before," said Bickerton. "Unfortunately, when he landed the
steer-tube broke."

Steer-tubes are forks that hold the front wheel in place on the
bicycle. They collapsed and Isherwood went over his handlebars.

"Pete held on because he didn't anticipate a crash due to the fact
that he had landed the bike correctly," said Bickerton.

"He went forward and hit the ground with his head and flipped. He
couldn't move or feel anything at first."

Isherwood was rushed to hospital in Kamloops and then sent to
Vancouver General Hospital. He could feel tingling in his arms and
some pressure on his toes, said Bickerton.

"He not only broke his neck and suffered spinal cord damage, but there
were other complications," Isherwood's common-law wife, Tamara Jayne
Bickerton, said in an e-mail to the Daily News.

"He had an uncommon allergic reaction to the CT scan dye and his
throat closed up. They had to perform an emergency tracheostomy. There
was a scare of hypoxic brain damage because he was without adequate
oxygen for five to 10 minutes."

Surgeons fused two vertebrae, C5 and C6, in his neck with a piece of
his hip bone and a metal plate.

"It worked beautifully and his neck is stable enough without a brace
or halo; however, that is only from the bone perspective, there has
still been damage to the spinal cord itself," said Tamara Jayne.

"At this point he may be a quadriplegic or perhaps he will walk again.
Only time will tell and we will simply work with what we have each
day."

"He does seem to be improving somewhat," said Brett Bickerton. "It
seems to me that he has regained some muscle control over his limbs.

"I'm very happy because he has the exact type of personality that
somebody needs to remain positive."

Old May 9th 11, 04:38 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

On May 8, 12:25*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...ishap/4743550/...

[...]

I thought Mikey was supposed to stay away from RBS until he completed
his sentence?
Old May 9th 11, 04:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier

On 05/09/2011 11:38 AM, Opus wrote:
On May 8, 12:25 pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

AFAIK the only netloon who had a court order against
him posting on usenet was Scott Abraham on rec.skiing.alpine.
and that was more than 10 years ago. It did no good then
and it does no good now. There are no usenet police for
unmoderated newsgroups.

Over at rsa we have mostly all killfiled our loon. The
best that can be done is to killfile Mikey and probably
Ed Dolan too and completely ignore them.

It will work, but it has yet to be fully realized over
at rsa. It's interesting to have this loon in your
killfile, have your reader say there are 35 posts on the
ng and have only two show up.

You can't keep a loon from posting but you don't have
to read him.

The trouble at rsa is that there are people who like to
poke trolls with a sharp stick and hear them howl.

You all here have a similar choice.
Old May 10th 11, 04:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bob Berger[_2_]

In article ,
Mike Vandeman says...

http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...550/story.html

Mountain biker injured in Kamloops mishap

By Walter Cordery, Daily News May 7, 2011

Nanaimo's Peter Isherwood is laying [sic] in a Vancouver hospital bed
fighting to keep the use of his arms and legs, following a recent
mountain-biking accident week in Kamloops.

SNIP

I couldn't help noticing that Mike the Ripper's first two posts on returning
from jail to these newsgroups were about incidents that occurred outside the US.

Old May 10th 11, 06:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
In article
,
Mike Vandeman says...

http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...550/story.html

Mountain biker injured in Kamloops mishap

By Walter Cordery, Daily News May 7, 2011

Nanaimo's Peter Isherwood is laying [sic] in a Vancouver hospital bed
fighting to keep the use of his arms and legs, following a recent
mountain-biking accident week in Kamloops.

SNIP

I couldn't help noticing that Mike the Ripper's first two posts on
returning
from jail to these newsgroups were about incidents that occurred outside
the US.

Mountain biking is the same the world over. Please check your brain into
some kind of hospital before you post again.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 10th 11, 06:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On May 9, 10:21*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bob Berger" wrote in message

In article
,
Mike Vandeman says...

http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...ishap/4743550/....

Mountain biker injured in Kamloops mishap

By Walter Cordery, Daily News May 7, 2011

Nanaimo's Peter Isherwood is laying [sic] in a Vancouver hospital bed
fighting to keep the use of his arms and legs, following a recent
mountain-biking accident week in Kamloops.

SNIP

I couldn't help noticing that Mike the Ripper's first two posts on
returning
from jail to these newsgroups were about incidents that occurred outside
the US.

Mountain biking is the same the world over. Please check your brain into
some kind of hospital before you post again.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

Nice. I see that you haven't lost your touch. And still over the heads
of nearly everyone in these benighted newsgroups....
Old May 11th 11, 01:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/8/2011 12:25 PM, Convicted Criminal Mike "Handsaw" Vandeman wrote:
http://www.canada.com/Mountain+biker...550/story.html

Mountain biker injured in Kamloops mishap

By Walter Cordery, Daily News May 7, 2011
[...]
Steer-tubes are forks that hold the front wheel in place on the
bicycle. They collapsed and Isherwood went over his handlebars.
[...]

Walter Cordery of the Daily News needs to educate himself on the
difference between a steer tube and fork blades. Inexcusable when less
than a minute using Google™ would provide the correct terminology.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.