15mm or 9/16" pedals?

Old March 16th 08, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Ashton

Default 15mm or 9/16" pedals?

I need to get some cranks to fit a particular chain set, but I can't
work out whether or not I'm going to have trouble fitting them to my
pedals.

Do 15mm and 9/16" pedals have different threads, or does the
measurement only govern the size of spanner that you need to take them
off?
Old March 16th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon D

Graham Ashton formulated on Sunday :
I need to get some cranks to fit a particular chain set, but I can't
work out whether or not I'm going to have trouble fitting them to my
pedals.

Do 15mm and 9/16" pedals have different threads, or does the
measurement only govern the size of spanner that you need to take them
off?

15mm is the wrench size, 9/16" x 20 TPI is the thread size.

--
Simon

Old March 16th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Ashton

On Mar 16, 10:17*am, Simon D wrote:
Graham Ashton formulated on Sunday :

Do 15mm and 9/16" pedals have different threads, or does the
measurement only govern the size of spanner that you need to take them
off?

15mm is the wrench size, 9/16" x 20 TPI is the thread size.

Are you sure that's all there is to it? I found a spanner that does
both sizes on the SJS site (which will be handy as my vernier tells me
that I've got pedals in both camps):

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-P...inch-12919.htm

It seems as though what I'm really asking is whether that 9/16" x 20
TPI is common across all pedals.
Old March 16th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Graham Ashton wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:17 am, Simon D wrote:
Graham Ashton formulated on Sunday :

Do 15mm and 9/16" pedals have different threads, or does the
measurement only govern the size of spanner that you need to take
them off?

15mm is the wrench size, 9/16" x 20 TPI is the thread size.

Are you sure that's all there is to it?

Yes.

I found a spanner that does
both sizes on the SJS site (which will be handy as my vernier tells me
that I've got pedals in both camps):

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-P...inch-12919.htm

It seems as though what I'm really asking is whether that 9/16" x 20
TPI is common across all pedals.

9/16" x 20 is the standard for all pedals for normal modern bikes.

See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html

~PB

Old March 16th 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Ashton

On Mar 16, 10:44*am, "Pete Biggs"
p...@pomegranateremovehighlyimpracticalfruitbiggs .tc wrote:

9/16" x 20 is the standard for all pedals for normal modern bikes.

Seehttp://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html

Okay, great. Thanks both. I'm off shopping...
Old March 16th 08, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article 42446ebe-6a87-42fd-8a00-f226d878efc2@
8g2000hse.googlegroups.com, Graham Ashton
says...

It seems as though what I'm really asking is whether that 9/16" x 20
TPI is common across all pedals.

Bikes with Ashtabula cranks use 1/2" not 9/16".
Old March 17th 08, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Graham Ashton" a écrit:

On Mar 16, 10:17 am, Simon D wrote:

15mm is the wrench size, 9/16" x 20 TPI is the thread size.

Are you sure that's all there is to it? I found a spanner that
does both sizes

I've got one of those.

There are two common pedal threads in current use: 9/16x x 20tpi and 1/2" x
20tpi, the latter almost always used on one-piece BMX-type cranks. Most
9/16"-threaded pedals have 15mm spanner flats, and most 1/2"-threaded pedals
have 9/16" spanner flats. Hence the confusion.

James Thomson

Old March 18th 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Pete Biggs :
Graham Ashton wrote:
On Mar 16, 10:17 am, Simon D wrote:
Graham Ashton formulated on Sunday :
Do 15mm and 9/16" pedals have different threads, or does the
measurement only govern the size of spanner that you need to take
them off?
15mm is the wrench size, 9/16" x 20 TPI is the thread size.

Are you sure that's all there is to it?

Yes.

Not quite. Some pedals have 9/16" wrench flats - normally ones with 1/2"
shafts for one-piece cranks, but it is not impossible to have 9/16" wrench
flats on oddball older pedals which also have 9/16" shafts - in particular
since the OP says he's measured both sizes on his bikes, he very likely
has some such.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is First Stilday, March - a weekend.