WOW... I didn't think a jacket could be so expensive

Old October 9th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default WOW... I didn't think a jacket could be so expensive

stopped at REI on the way home today, I figured that I'd see if they had
any end-of-season clearance jerseys on sale and maybe pick up a cool
weather jacket if I saw any good deals... well as usual my personal
thermostat is not calibrated to the general public because the jerseys
were all but gone (I guess everyone else got cold once the outside temp
dropped below 70 degrees or something) but this really astounded me:

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/S...1208436857421A

seemed like a nice enough jacket, note MSRP is $170... tagged at $200 on
the rack? WTF?

this is why people buy online...

No, I didn't buy it, even $170 is a bit steep but I was *so* astonished
at the prices I just had to look them up online when I got home

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 9th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jay

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/S...E?landingid=12....

seemed like a nice enough jacket, note MSRP is $170... tagged at $200 on
the rack? *WTF?

this is why people buy online...

No, I didn't buy it, even $170 is a bit steep but I was *so* astonished
at the prices I just had to look them up online when I got home

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

REI's always been more that honest w/ me. I've been a member since the
mid '70s.
Did U ask them about the descripency? Legally they have to sell @ the
advertised price.
I just suspect an employee made an error.
Old October 9th 09, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 8, 5:27*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

MSRP is msrp. The "s" means suggested. REI could sell it at $350 if
they wanted to. Commodities can aquire whatever value depending on the
market far exceeding use and cost value. Gore windstopper is usually
expensive stuff, and it is light, warm and evaporates well. Still,
$170 is beyond what I'll go for. I usually won't spend more than $100
for a good winter jacket. I guess that the three back pockets and the
permeable back adds $50 to $90 to the price of a nice softshell
jacket. Oh well.
Old October 9th 09, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Oct 8, 9:29*pm, jay wrote:
[...]

Quite possibly they did. I didn't know what they went for until after
I got home, this was a pre-purchase scouting expedition so I could
fondle the fabric and try things on for fit (which was good, actually
- e.g. I found that I can wear a medium in Gore but Pearl Izumi runs
smaller and I really need a large...)

here's the funny thing, Wiggle has the cheapest price of anybody. go
figure.

nate
Old October 9th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Oct 8, 10:21*pm, " wrote:
[...]

yeah, I'm with you there. I'm tempted to just buy a cheap windbreaker
a size or two too small and be done with it.

On the flip side, a couple years ago I bought a $500 or so (MSRP)
cashmere winter coat (on clearance after the season, of course, for a
hell of a lot less than $500) and it quickly became my favorite coat.
Only complaint that I have is that it is too warm for most of the
weather we get down here but when it actually does get cold it can't
be beat, and it weighs little more than a windbreaker and actually
looks fairly dressy. Gives me an incentive to dress better so I can
wear it without looking like my closet vomited on me

nate
Old October 9th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Nate Nagel wrote:
seemed like a nice enough jacket, note MSRP is $170... tagged at $200 on
the rack? *WTF?

That's nothing. Some Assos jackets are over $600!

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSXMYWC

Art Harris
Old October 9th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Larry[_9_]

On Oct 8, 7:27*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Golly Jethro, you should check the price of cement ponds!!
Old October 9th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

jay wrote:
On Oct 8, 4:27 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/S...E?landingid=12...

seemed like a nice enough jacket, note MSRP is $170... tagged at $200 on
the rack? WTF?

this is why people buy online...

No, I didn't buy it, even $170 is a bit steep but I was *so* astonished
at the prices I just had to look them up online when I got home

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

REI's always been more that honest w/ me. I've been a member since the
mid '70s.
Did U ask them about the descripency? Legally they have to sell @ the
advertised price.
I just suspect an employee made an error.

I've seen some of this, most recently a faucet that I bought at Home
Depot that was 10% cheaper online (with free shipping & no sales tax).
Old October 9th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pat[_18_]

Larry wrote:
[...]

LOL My father-in-law told me he'd never buy a pair of jeans that cost more
than $3.50 because that's all he's paid his entire life!

Old October 9th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Oct 9, 10:26*am, "Pat" wrote:
Larry wrote:
[...]

My point was not that the jacket I was looking at was expensive
(however, IMHO, it still is) but that I have a problem with paying
*over* MSRP for something just for the privilege of buying it in a
store... (heck, it's just easier to wait for the FedEx guy anyway!)

nate