When did tires get so expensive?

Old January 3rd 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default When did tires get so expensive?

I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".
Old January 3rd 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

SMS wrote:

I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

It is strange in a not-good way that bicycle tires cost almost as much
as car tires.

To answer your initial question, it was probably about the time the US
dollar fell in the toilet and nobody bothered to fish it out.

Chalo

Old January 3rd 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Cugnot's complaint
Old January 3rd 11, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"SMS" wrote in message
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units,
and daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2)
dollar bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a
Ritchey Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion
they were having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I
bought a tire on the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that
the prices are so high. On the Performance web site they have the
Panaracer Urban Max for $20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75"
the drop down menu shows 26" x 1.25".

A combination of absurd increases in several chemicals used in bicycle
tires did things in. A veritable perfect storm. I had this exact
conversation last week with Al Clark, the guy at Trek in charge of
all-things tires. He's been in the business for years and hasn't seen
anything like it, not even the run-up in commodity prices just prior to
the recession. The price you got it for was really good, all things
considered. If they have more, buy more. I can't touch it; I'm operating
off recently-purchased inventory (those tires turn relatively quickly).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 3rd 11, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS wrote:
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

$20? With an affinity for high thread counts and Italian racing
mystique, I had to have a pair of Vittoria's new Randoneeur Hyper at
around $40 each. (They felt very good under the bike, BTW.) With
less than a couple thousand miles on them, though, I rode over
something nasty while wiping my glasses and ruined the rear tire :-(
Old January 3rd 11, 06:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_6_]

?"SMS" wrote in message ...

##

I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

##

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is expensive,
then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State over-stepping
regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last four years) take
hold. Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going through the roof.
(Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

BS (not)

Old January 3rd 11, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
slide[_3_]

On 1/2/2011 7:58 PM, SMS wrote:
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

There has been a huge run up in commodity prices due to many factors
relating to worldwide shortages due both to production issues and wider
demand (see BRIC).
Old January 3rd 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.google.com/webhp?sa=N&hl=...68f614bc218727
Old January 3rd 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Bill Sornson wrote:
?"SMS" wrote in message ...

##

[...]

Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 3rd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 3-1-2011 7:38, Bill Sornson schreef:
?"SMS" wrote in message ...

##

[...]

16 dollar for a Tom Slick is a bargain.
Gas at the moment is 1.67 euro/liter, or 8.44 dollar/gallon.

Lou