When did tires get so expensive?

Old January 3rd 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default When did tires get so expensive?

ANSWER 10

NOT more expensive on any scale.
For example, near here there's a Fogel History Post on costs for
English hi-risers. I can't find it this morning. I'll ask Sachs.
Costs were astronomical worked out to today's exchange rates -$14000
for the rig and snot a Shimano wear factor in there fersure.
Anyway $15 tires are toys for children. Your children.

Old January 3rd 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 3, 11:45*am, AMuzi wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
?"SMS" *wrote in et....

##

I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

##

If you think 16 bucks for a quality, proven, name-brand tire is
expensive, then hold on tight once Cap 'n Tax and other Nanny State
over-stepping regulations (that couldn't pass legislatively, even last
four years) take hold. *Once gas hits $5 or more, /everything's/ going
through the roof. (Gee, who will THAT hurt the worst?)

BS (not)

Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.
Old January 3rd 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:45 am, AMuzi wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
?"SMS" wrote in et...
##
[...]

Laugh or cry:
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 3rd 11, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:landotter wrote:
: On Jan 3, 11:45 am, AMuzi wrote:
: Bill Sornson wrote:
: ?"SMS" wrote in et...
: ##
:
: Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.

:Laugh or cry:
:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

Cry, at your thorough, and often repeated, innumeracy?

--
sig 7
Old January 3rd 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On Jan 2, 6:58*pm, SMS wrote:
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

If you want to make your tires last, read Sheldon Brown's article on
"rotating" tires:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

Good Luck!
Old January 3rd 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

landotter wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.

Laugh or cry:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

Ds and Rs have been equally complicit in meddling with the CPI to
obscure the real cost of living "because those prices are volatile".
Ha! Excluding the "volatile" food and energy sectors basically means
that increases in prices of necessities (food, clothing, shelter, and
transportation) are not taken into account. They even shift the
goalposts around (which they call "hedonic regression") so that if
manufacturers add a new button to your TV, then CPI says it doesn't
cost any more, even if it does.

This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
people. (The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

Here's a good place to get those statistical numbers calculated down
the old way, like the government used to do in the '60s and '70s:

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...flation-charts

Chalo
Old January 3rd 11, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

bfd wrote:
On Jan 2, 6:58 pm, SMS wrote:
I was out on a ride today with the spousal unit and two child units, and
daughter-unit blew a tire. I did a temporary fix with two (2) dollar
bills and proceeded to a nearby Performance Bike Shop. Got her a Ritchey
Tom Slick 26" x 1.4" which was $18 (less an 11% off promotion they were
having, so it was about $16). It's been a while since I bought a tire on
the spur of the moment, and was kind of surprised that the prices are so
high. On the Performance web site they have the Panaracer Urban Max for
$20, but while the picture shows 26" x 1.75" the drop down menu shows
26" x 1.25".

These prices are a bargain! If price is a concern, just be glad you
are not in the market for a fancy dancy 700x23 tire, were you can
expect to pay anywhere from $40-80+ EACH!

In most bike shops I've visited around Melbourne, the Michelin Krylion
tyres I use are priced at almost $100 AUD ea. I've seen them on the
shelf for $110. These links are typical of the lower prices.

http://www.freedommachine.com.au/Par...p?Category=119
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes...-krylion-tyres

Online shopping brings that down to about $37 AUD ea.

Someone here in the retail bike industry told me that the manufacturers
have 'B' grade tyres that get sold by online bike shops. If there is a
difference, I can't detect any.

Regardless, I cannot remember the last puncture, but it must have been
well over a year ago (10,000km+). I replaced the rear tyre on the
weekend. The threads were beginning to show. Better late than never!

JS.
Old January 3rd 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 3, 3:01*pm, Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

landotter wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

Meanwhile over at the Obama administration's Big Lie
Department, Stalin and Goebbels insist there is no inflation.

Bad hyperbole doesn't suit you.

Laugh or cry:http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

Ds and Rs have been equally complicit in meddling with the CPI to
obscure the real cost of living "because those prices are volatile".
Ha! *Excluding the "volatile" food and energy sectors basically means
that increases in prices of necessities (food, clothing, shelter, and
transportation) are not taken into account. *They even shift the
goalposts around (which they call "hedonic regression") so that if
manufacturers add a new button to your TV, then CPI says it doesn't
cost any more, even if it does.

This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
people. *(The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
evidence...

Old January 3rd 11, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
people. *(The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
evidence...

Man, we should have nationalized the banksters after what they did.
Old January 3rd 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 3, 3:59*pm, Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:

Chalo wrote:

This isn't a Right vs. Left issue; it's the Money Party versus the
people. *(The Money Party leans hard to the right, though.)

And if anyone wants to trot out the Trotsky and Stalin pejoratives, I
simply ask: name one industry that's become nationalized as
evidence...

Man, we should have nationalized the banksters after what they did.

But that would have been Staliny!