2004 Cannondale Road Warrior 600

Old September 4th 04, 04:06 AM
GET

Default 2004 Cannondale Road Warrior 600

Purchased new from LBS on 8/16/2004. I literally put less than 5 miles on
the bike. I was dumb and bought a bike too small. I let them sell me on
raising the seat up enough for leg extension and putting spacers on the stem
to raise the handlebars.

My first ride I had gone about two miles and already I could tell the
handlebars were too low and my knees were nearly hitting the grips. I rode
a larger frame size tonight at another LBS and it was much better. So, I'm
going to sell this and get a bike that fits.

The bike is brand new. It hasn't even seen a hint of dew. I can send
digital pics to show. Retail on the bike was $799.99. I looked around the
net, and the best price I saw was $730 for a new one. I'll sell this one
for $625 plus shipping, or, if you're close enough, we'll meet to defray
shipping costs.

I'll include a link to the Cannondale page with specs, geometry, etc... for
this bike to avoid making this post longer than I already have.

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/04/c...del-4HR6Y.html

Remove NoSpam for return email.

GET

Old September 4th 04, 04:07 AM
GET

I suppose it may help to mention the size!

This is the Large frame.

GET

Old September 4th 04, 06:01 AM
John Bigboote

"GET" wrote in message
. ..
Purchased new from LBS on 8/16/2004. I literally put less than 5 miles on
the bike. I was dumb and bought a bike too small. I let them sell me on
raising the seat up enough for leg extension and putting spacers on the

stem
to raise the handlebars.

Any reputable LBS would let you exchange or offer a refund for 30 days, if
the bike were still in as-new condition. You should take it back and raise a
ruckus.

-jb

--
John Bigboote
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Old September 4th 04, 03:30 PM
GET

"John Bigboote" wrote in message
"GET" wrote in message
. ..
Purchased new from LBS on 8/16/2004. I literally put less than 5 miles

on
the bike. I was dumb and bought a bike too small. I let them sell me

on
raising the seat up enough for leg extension and putting spacers on the

stem
to raise the handlebars.

Any reputable LBS would let you exchange or offer a refund for 30 days, if
the bike were still in as-new condition. You should take it back and raise

ruckus.

-jb

--
John Bigboote
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
"The Future Begins Tomorrow"

I am taking it in this morning. Since this is my first bike shop purchase I
didn't know what to expect. Or, more to the point, I didn't expect relief.
If the 30-day period is something to which this LBS prescribes, things may
work out. If not, I need to move it.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Gary

Old September 4th 04, 09:47 PM
John Bigboote

"GET" wrote in message
. ..

I am taking it in this morning. Since this is my first bike shop purchase

didn't know what to expect. Or, more to the point, I didn't expect

relief.
If the 30-day period is something to which this LBS prescribes, things may
work out. If not, I need to move it.

At issue is the lousy advice they gave you. Don't know why they pushed a
too-small frame with patches to make it "fit," but they should have known
better. People on this board frequently admonish others to buy (and pay
more) at their LBS to avoid problems with fit, assembly, warranty, etc. You
deserve better.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

-jb

Old September 5th 04, 06:18 AM
GET

"John Bigboote" wrote in message
"GET" wrote in message
. ..

At issue is the lousy advice they gave you. Don't know why they pushed a
too-small frame with patches to make it "fit," but they should have known
better. People on this board frequently admonish others to buy (and pay
more) at their LBS to avoid problems with fit, assembly, warranty, etc.

You
deserve better.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Alas, it didn't help much. To make a long story short(kinda), I called the
owner and explained my situation. He said to come in and they would see to
it that they made it right.

Basically, He offered a Giant Somethingorother in a larger frame. However,
the Giant did not have the components the Cannondale did- and I didn't want
the Giant or I would have bought it to begin with.

I bought the bike during a special invitation only sale. He said all of the
sale items were final - barring manufacturer defects. I gave my side of the
story again. I told them up front I knew next to nothing about bike fit and
I was relying totally on them.

His reply was you took it for a test ride and liked it enough to buy it. Of
course I was able to do a loop of a few blocks. Not a lot to get to know a
bike. I told him it's hard to adequately judge one on a such a short ride,
especially when you don't know what to look for. He then told me he had
often bought bikes without even riding them. I reminded him that he owned a
bike store, sold them for a living and I knew nearly nothing about them and
that was a completely asinine argument.

Their other "offer" was to let me return it for a 2005 model they should
have in a month or so. Of course I'd have to pay the new full boat price
plus newly increased shipping costs. So, at this point, I was about to be
late for a date with my wife so I told them to change the stem out to a
longer adjustable one to get the handlebars away from my knees and took my
bike.

I just told him how poorly I thought they had dealt with me and they weren't
meeting their responsibility to their customers, but I wasn't going to make
a scene or be the second jerk in the equation over a bike.

So, I have a brand-spankin' new, ill-fitting Cannondale! An expensive
lesson.

Gary

Old September 5th 04, 03:45 PM
steve

are you going to tell us the name/location of the shop so we can not go
there?
Old September 5th 04, 07:17 PM
GET

"steve" wrote in message
are you going to tell us the name/location of the shop so we can not go
there?

If you live/buy in the Central Kentucky area, reply by email and I will give
you the name.

--
Gary