Bus racks

Old September 8th 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bus racks

On 9/7/2018 6:42 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 19:21:20 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

And yet you expect the government to provide you with
special bike racks on buses.

No, bike racks that actually work with contemporary bikes
that are commonly used in this area. Just like we now have
roads that accommodate vehicles wider than a Ford Model T.
It's that simple.

I've seen no evidence except your assertions for the idea
that your style of bike is common among those who use buses.
I rarely trust your assertions. So do you have any evidence?

And regarding roads and Model Ts: ISTM your situation is
like that of a 1930s guy who built or bought something on
this style
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/2...specifications

then complained the roads weren't suitable for its use.

Don't buy something out of spec for the infrastructure you
want to use, then complain about the infrastructure.

Roads not suitable to that ugly 3 wheel monstrosity? How so? I see them
(and copies) all summer around here.

But not in the 1930s, as I said.

I was alive in the 1930's and I can assure you that the two lane
blacktop roads in New Hampshire (at least) would accommodate a three
wheel motorcycle... at least the three wheel Harley's that the Police
had would fit.

heh heh I remember those. Fine for parking ticket duty but
with any speed at all they flipped in turns with some frequency.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 8th 18, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 4:15:24 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
big snip

Note that I wrote "among the highest". Like I wrote several times
before, try to read more carefully.

But more important the state has between $713 billion and $1.02
trillion in unfunded pension obligation, the tax base is decreasing,
since 2000, more people have left California than have arrived from
other states every year, the gasoline tax is not large enough to pay
for road building and repairs. In short, taxes will have to increase
or the state will go bankrupt.
https://californiapolicycenter.org/c...-remains-grim/

The pension boondoggle has to be curbed. That is the only solution.

You mean that a guy ought to work for twenty years and not get any
form of retirement pension?

A budget crunch! Sounds like a perfect time to put new racks on the buses!

Perfect Joerg: The pension boondoggle has to be curbed! Wow, who knew. Of course, immediately!

There is one minor problem. The pension obligation exists by contract and cannot be changed retroactively. We've litigated that issue over and over in Oregon. You can change PERS benefits on a forward going basis but not retroactively. You address the shortfall by improving investment yield, reducing current costs and reducing retirement benefits forward-going. And good luck with contract negotiations. Employees totally love benefit cuts!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 8th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 9/7/2018 1:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I don't doubt that. But I said "something on this style."
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/2...specifications

For more specifics, that Polaris is wider than a Corvette, with a 69
inch front track measurement. And the ground clearance is just over 5
inches, with a 105" wheelbase. And it requires three decently smooth
tracks in the road, not just two.

Imagine trying to drive that on a typical 1930s country road.
http://www.dcnyhistory.org/Fact_Fancy/images/6.07.jpg

But that is hardly a typical 1930's country road. I lived on one -
graded dirt but dirt mixed with sand and even in "Mud Time" - early
spring - it never looked like that. In the vernacular that was
probably a "farm road".
https://newengland.com/today/travel/...ountry-road-9/
https://newengland.com/today/travel/...oad-in-autumn/

(BTW, why is the Polaris driver wearing a helmet? Does he think it will
tip over?)

A helmet has an almost mystical ability to keep one safe. Rather like
a St. Christopher medal, or a verse from the Koran, or perhaps a
Buddhist amulet.
Old September 8th 18, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 9/7/2018 1:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

My home town police had one and as you say it seemed to be used pretty
much for running around the town streets and watching traffic.

On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

The currently made, as of 2012, Morgan 3 wheeler is 128" long, 68
inches wide and has a ground clearance of 4.5 inches.
https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/3-wheeler/

On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

for the younger set, we refer to these:
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/1c/a5/5...d2e35c6f8a.jpg

Old September 8th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/7/2018 1:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Yep. In pedalcycle circles, that configuration is referred to a "delta"
tricycle.

When you overcook a corner, the tendency is to hit the brakes while
still turning. In layman's parlance, your weight is thrown forward and
to the side. There's no wheel up that way to resist the tipping. There
can also be problems with an off-camber turn.

Once in the 1980s I took a short ride on a British racing "ten speed"
tricycle. It was a scary experience, even trying to ride it on a
straight level road.

The alternative geometry is a "tadpole" tricycle. Two wheels in front,
one in the rear, like the Polaris motorcycle or like most recumbent
trikes. Not much problem with tipping while braking and turning.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 8th 18, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 07-09-18 21:43, Joerg wrote:
There are lots of people in this world who are taller than 6ft and need
large frame sizes.

For an example, at this link click on the picture of Jobst Brandt on his
bicycle:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...gadfly-dies-80

Ned

Old September 8th 18, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 9/7/2018 1:03 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I was on a ferry the other day with my bike and we had a motorcycle group
on the ferry. Several of them were these reverse trikes. I was wondering
how they handle in fast turns. I asked one of the guys and as far as I
could translate he said it takes some getting used to. Like you said
though Andrew, they don’t seem to have any problem on the roads here.

--
duane

On 2018-09-07 08:04, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

Modern Morgans are powered by engines built near me in Viola WI.

Car racks Owen Australia 4 October 29th 09 09:58 AM
Racks is racks, right? Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 46 September 24th 08 02:46 PM
Racks...Racks...Who needs a Rack??? [email protected] Racing 8 May 25th 06 07:23 PM
Racks Sam Salt UK 17 January 24th 04 05:55 PM
Racks? gravelmuncher Australia 10 November 19th 03 03:40 AM