Levi didn't know...?

Old July 24th 05, 09:16 PM
Jet

Default Levi didn't know...?

Don't get me wrong, I like Vino and it was a great win today, but dayum,
what about Levi? He was told no need to contest, then at the end the
organizers give bonus points!?

Who's to say that Levi couldn't have contested - probably not, but would
have been more fair.

jj

Old July 24th 05, 09:34 PM
Hunter

Vino rocks.

The references I keep seeing describe the GC as "neutralized" for the
circuits. How can you be neutralized, but have time bonuses? That's--
really odd, I've never heard it used that way.

Is "neutralized" just a bad translation of what the TdF rules actually
say? Did they actually just move the crash zone back to the start of
the circuits from 3k to go?

Old July 25th 05, 03:39 PM
Fred Marx

Hunter wrote:
Vino rocks.

The references I keep seeing describe the GC as "neutralized" for the
circuits. How can you be neutralized, but have time bonuses? That's--
really odd, I've never heard it used that way.

Is "neutralized" just a bad translation of what the TdF rules actually
say? Did they actually just move the crash zone back to the start of
the circuits from 3k to go?

the way it read on cyclingnews.com was that the GC times were finalized
at he start of the Champs E curcuits.... then they gave Vino a time
bonus for the stage win... inequitable I would think, murky at best.
Old July 25th 05, 05:31 PM
Jet

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:39:50 -0600, Fred Marx wrote:

Hunter wrote:
Vino rocks.

The references I keep seeing describe the GC as "neutralized" for the
circuits. How can you be neutralized, but have time bonuses? That's--
really odd, I've never heard it used that way.

Is "neutralized" just a bad translation of what the TdF rules actually
say? Did they actually just move the crash zone back to the start of
the circuits from 3k to go?

the way it read on cyclingnews.com was that the GC times were finalized
at he start of the Champs E curcuits.... then they gave Vino a time
bonus for the stage win... inequitable I would think, murky at best.

Ah, I thought so at first but as one poster just mentioned, if Levi's team
had any doubts they should have surrounded and marked time with Vino.

I have a feeling that Vino got mad and went out and attacked that stage,
'turning the pedals in anger' as it were - so if neither of them knew it,
then more power to Vino for taking the initiative.

Anyone know what the 'euro-dollar' amount difference is between the stages,
particularly top five versus lower results?

At any rate, I think Vino upped his marketability 1000% by going out and
taking the final stage as he did - much more than just moving up to fifth.
That guy rocks, and has at least 2-3 more great years left in him at
31-ish.

jj

Old July 25th 05, 05:38 PM
nancy1

I believe Phil mentioned that the difference between stages 5 and 6 was
US $27,000.

N.

Old July 25th 05, 05:53 PM
Mark Janeba

Jet wrote:
Anyone know what the 'euro-dollar' amount difference is between the stages,
particularly top five versus lower results?

GC prize list, from official tour web site
1er 400 000 €
2ème 170 000 €
3ème 92 000 €
4ème 61 000 €
5ème 42 000 €
6ème 23 000 €
7ème 11 500 €
8ème 7 600 €
9ème 4 500 €
10ème 3 800 €
[...]
150ème* 400 €

Stage win prize list (All but TTT stage):
1er 8 000 €
2ème 4 000 €
3ème 2 000 €
4ème 1 200 €
5ème 830 €
[...]
20ème 200 €

At any rate, I think Vino upped his marketability 1000% by going out and
taking the final stage as he did - much more than just moving up to fifth.

Yup. The difference the stage win made for his contract negotiations
is, as the commercial say, "priceless."

Mark

Old July 25th 05, 07:38 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:53:09 -0700, Mark Janeba wrote:
5ème 42 000 €
6ème 23 000 €

That's a big difference! (although a lot less when divided by team and
compared to salary).

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old July 25th 05, 08:20 PM
RonSonic

Hunter wrote:
Vino rocks.

The references I keep seeing describe the GC as "neutralized" for the
circuits. How can you be neutralized, but have time bonuses? That's--
really odd, I've never heard it used that way.

Is "neutralized" just a bad translation of what the TdF rules actually
say? Did they actually just move the crash zone back to the start of
the circuits from 3k to go?

the way it read on cyclingnews.com was that the GC times were finalized
at he start of the Champs E curcuits.... then they gave Vino a time
bonus for the stage win... inequitable I would think, murky at best.

For me the bottom line is that it is a race and finishing sooner is better than
finishing later and should be rewarded.

No matter how finely one parses the rules and how one maximizes his efforts
under the rules you're better off finishing ahead of the other guy. Lance is a
perfect example of this, spending most of his time operating procedurally
marking time and working the angles, but he rides like a scalded demon if
someone threatens his position.

Levi was a fool to take anything like that for granted.

Ron
Old July 25th 05, 08:32 PM
Jet

Hunter wrote:
[...]

It would be interesting to hear Levi's thoughts on the matter. Anyone know
if he has an on-line journal or blog?

jj

Old July 25th 05, 08:34 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:32:24 -0400, Jet wrote:
It would be interesting to hear Levi's thoughts on the matter. Anyone know
if he has an on-line journal or blog?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/20...vi/?id=default
No entry after 22-Jul.

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

TdF stage 21 summary Bob Martin Racing 0 July 24th 05 05:31 PM
Finish time set, Levi holds on. Richard Adams Racing 3 July 24th 05 05:29 PM
TdF stage 10 summary Bob Martin Racing 0 July 12th 05 06:49 PM
Why does USA even send a Men's OLY road race team? OnThaBeach Racing 20 August 16th 04 07:48 AM
Freddy goes Bob Schwartz Racing 10 July 9th 04 11:25 PM