What doctors/researchers think about wearing a helmet.

Old November 26th 04, 07:04 AM
John Doe

Troll.

(Nick Kew) wrote:

From:
(Nick Kew)
Subject: What doctors/researchers think about wearing a helmet.
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:14:21 +0000

In article ,
John Doe writes:

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

Golly. How about "spinal cord injury" helmet bicycle? Avoids a loaded
phrase that defines itself in terms of helmets.

If you have never used a search engine before,

LOL! [1]

[1] Hmmm, I was on Infoseek's beta programme before they came out.
Long before Altavista, let alone Google. Before that we used Archie
- but that was probably too difficult for morons like you.

--
Nick Kew

Old November 26th 04, 07:32 AM
John Doe

David Martin wrote:

rantThe problem with the soundbite internet culture

I posted a link to the source. You snip the link, then turn around and
imply that I am part of a soundbite Internet culture. How ironic.

Old November 26th 04, 08:12 AM
John Doe

(James Annan) wrote:
John Doe wrote in message news:

If you want to read about the benefit of wearing a helmet while
riding a bicycle, all you have to do is research the matter.

Inj Prev. 2003 Sep;9(3):266-7.
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London,
UK... The wearing of a cycle helmet is estimated to prevent 60%
of head injuries.

It is interesting to see this cited again. The 60% figure is known
to be wrong, a point which has been acknowledged by the authors,
and yet no correction has been published...
This known error has not to my knowledge been corrected in the
published literature (it can be found on the IP web-site if you
know where to look).

"Somewhere, over the rainbow...la la la"

This sit uneasily with IP's position on the "Committee
on Publication Ethics", whose guidelines state clearly "Where a
published paper is found to contain major flaws, editors must accept
responsibility for correcting the record prominently and promptly".
I think it's time I sent an email...

Or maybe you can have something published yourself, along with the
other hundred or more published opinions written by doctors,
neurosurgeons, research scientists, and from clinical studies, all of
which enthusiastically support the wearing of bicycle helmets.

The opinion that helmets help prevent injury is held by practically
every doctor in the world. It is like all of them are screaming "Wear
a helmet!".

But a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Every reply so far to my original post has snipped the link I
provided to the source. One snipped the link and then said I was
being "selective". Another snipped the link to the source and then
implied I am part of a "soundbite culture".

How ironic.

http://ip.bmjjournals.com/misc/about.shtml

Looking at the articles there, I get about the same impression as I
did at the PubMed site here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Enter something like this.

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

Old November 26th 04, 08:24 AM
Jon Senior

John Doe g opined the following...
"Somewhere, over the rainbow...la la la"

You did claim to be good at searching!

Or maybe you can have something published yourself, along with the
other hundred or more published opinions written by doctors,
neurosurgeons, research scientists, and from clinical studies, all of
which enthusiastically support the wearing of bicycle helmets.

No they don't.

The opinion that helmets help prevent injury is held by practically
every doctor in the world. It is like all of them are screaming "Wear
a helmet!".

No they don't.

But a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

As you have nicely demonstrated with your troll^H^H^H^H^Hpost.

Every reply so far to my original post has snipped the link I
provided to the source. One snipped the link and then said I was
being "selective". Another snipped the link to the source and then
implied I am part of a "soundbite culture".

The reason they snipped the links, is that when replying to a post, it
is polite to only include the parts that you are discussing. Your "email
address" would imply that you were already aware of this but...

Looking at the articles there, I get about the same impression as I
did at the PubMed site here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Enter something like this.

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

Out of interest have you actually read any of these marvelous papers, or
are you just assuming that quantity somehow equals quality when dealing
with medical research?

Based on the knowledge that you have gained from your reading of these
papers, I assume that you can explain why it is that the introduction of
enforced, compulsory helmet wearing has had no effect on head injuries
anywhere that it has been introduced.

But then, that would assume that you were capable of genuine research,
rather than simply copy-and-pasting the results of a carefully selected
search.

Get thee back under your bridge, troll.

Jon
Old November 26th 04, 08:48 AM
Peter Clinch

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Veering OT for light relief, I've seen fractures higher up the radius
when these are worn. I haven't a clue whether this is worse numerically.
(I suspect high radial fractures are technically more difficult to fix
though)

Have these guards been properly evaluated ;-) ??

But I think it's the case that, like helmets, most of the accidents
won't actually be breaks but grazes. The scratches on mine certainly
didn't transfer into breaks. And unlike a helmet it's very highly
probably that you'll break a fall with your hands by reflex so if you go
over your chances of a hand down onto tarmac are very high. But though
I've broken falls with my hands on skates and unicycle, I haven't banged
my head from either as yet.

This is not to say a break won't be worse, but if breaks were that
common I don't think skating would be as popular as it is...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old November 26th 04, 08:59 AM
John Doe

Jon Senior jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote:
[...]

According to all of the article summaries I read, that is plainly
false. But that is your troll. I didn't say anything about
compulsory helmet wearing. My focus was on the fact that serious
head injuries to children are significantly reduced by helmet
wearing.

But then, that would assume that you were capable of genuine
research, rather than simply copy-and-pasting the results of a
carefully selected search.

Are you suggesting that PubMed only publishes articles which promote
the wearing of helmets? That is all I found. If you can find
something on PubMed to support your view, let's see it.

Get thee back under your bridge, troll.

After you.

Jon

From: Jon Senior jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:24:35 -0000

Old November 26th 04, 09:00 AM
Peter Clinch

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Would skaters skate more carefully if they knew their wrists were unguarded?

Quite possibly, but safety isn't a primary worry of inline skating.
There isn't much death and doom, while what there is in cycling is
mostly due to motor vehicles that generally don't interface with typical
skaters.

Skating is popular: pop down to A&E and ask how many serious breaks they
see from it.

Pete.

Old November 26th 04, 09:13 AM
Peter Clinch

John Doe wrote:
(James Annan) wrote:

Or maybe you can have something published yourself

You're really not paying too much attention to the literature, are you?
If you were you'd know that it was James Annan's letter to IP that was
published to point out the arithmetical error that Cook and Sheikh made,
and which they acknowledged they made, though they didn't subsequently
see fit to revise their paper.

The opinion that helmets help prevent injury is held by practically
every doctor in the world. It is like all of them are screaming "Wear
a helmet!".

I work in a hospital, so I know this is not true, but even to the extent
it is most of them are is based on an assumption that it is better,
rather than actual research.

But a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Just like you're doing, then.

Every reply so far to my original post has snipped the link I
provided to the source.

Because it's still there in the thread and not relevant to the comments
made on the sections that were annotated.

http://ip.bmjjournals.com/misc/about.shtml

Looking at the articles there, I get about the same impression as I
did at the PubMed site here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

Enter something like this.

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

And find a load more improperly supported conclusions by clinicians who
can't really do science very well... A doctor friend of mine is aghast
at how bad many of his colleagues are at evidence based medicine, and
with your pile of references to go by it's really no wonder.

Have you looked critically at any of these beyond the "conclusions"? If
so, why do you feel that, for example, Thompson, Rivara and Thompsons'
1989 case control study methodology is valid, showing as it does 75%
protection by helmets against *leg* injuries? Please explain, because I
can't explain it and since you seem to feel yourself an authority I
wouldn't mind some help with it.

Pete.

Old November 26th 04, 09:21 AM
John Doe

Peter Clinch wrote:
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Would skaters skate more carefully if they knew their wrists were

unguarded?

Quite possibly, but safety isn't a primary worry of inline skating.

That suggests you are not a skater, or maybe you are a rink skater.
I am quite sure that in-line skating in the concrete jungle
is very risky, significantly more risky than cycling. It's also
thrilling.

There isn't much death and doom,

Serious head injury can easily happen if you are not wearing a helmet
when your skates slip out from under you and your head slams into
some concrete or steel.

It's not difficult to visualize the risk. Look at a skater and notice
when he or she is upright even with knees bent his center of balance
is much higher than his feet. Again, that's not a big deal on a nice
smooth level surface, it is a big deal on rough uneven surfaces. For
example, if your feet are not scissored and you hit a one-inch rise
in the pavement, you hit the ground immediately (depending on how
fast you are going). You can fall down and hit your head anytime, but
the risk is high while skating. Pad up and enjoy the thrill.

Skating is popular: pop down to A&E and ask how many serious breaks
they see from it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

newsdst01.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy .com!prodigy.com!
border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!ne wsfeed.cwix.com!
newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!easynet-quince!easynet.net!
feed4.jnfs.ja.net!jnfs.ja.net!dundee.ac.uk!not-for-mail
From: Peter Clinch
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:00:15 +0000
.com

Gecko/20040414

Old November 26th 04, 09:39 AM
John Doe

Peter Clinch wrote:
John Doe wrote:

The opinion that helmets help prevent injury is held by
practically every doctor in the world. It is like all of them are
screaming "Wear a helmet!".

I work in a hospital, so I know this is not true,

It is according to PubMed.

but even to the extent it is most of them are is based on an
assumption that it is better, rather than actual research.

So look at the other research papers. I guess you didn't notice
there were more research papers than the one you claim to be faulty.
Apparently you think that is the only research paper in the world on
the subject.

But a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Every reply so far to my original post has snipped the link I
provided to the source.

Because it's still there in the thread and not relevant to the
comments made on the sections that were annotated.

Bull****. I posted the source which is the opposite of being
"selective" and part of the "soundbite culture".

http://ip.bmjjournals.com/misc/about.shtml

Looking at the articles there, I get about the same impression as
I did at the PubMed site here.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed
Enter something like this.
"Head injury" helmet bicycle

And find a load more improperly supported conclusions by clinicians
who can't really do science very well...

Even if that were true, one then has to wonder why none of them err
on your side of the issue.

Pete.

From: Peter Clinch
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling