new chain, slack

Old December 17th 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default new chain, slack

It seems after putting on a new chain, it turns
really slack after only 2-3 weeks. When you
then restraighten it, it remains tight
considerably longer. Is this so or does
intuition play a trick on me? In general, how
many bike hours does a chain last?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old December 18th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 22:43:17 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

It seems after putting on a new chain, it turns
really slack after only 2-3 weeks. When you
then restraighten it, it remains tight
considerably longer. Is this so or does
intuition play a trick on me? In general, how
many bike hours does a chain last?

That's sort of asking "how long is a piece of string" :-)
Bike chain, how many speeds, runs inside a chain case, how fast, how
much power transferred, new cogs or old, lubricated, how frequently,
etc., etc.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 18th 17, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

That's sort of asking "how long is a piece of
string" :-)

Actually, that was to be my very next
question

Bike chain, how many speeds, runs inside
a chain case, how fast, how much power
transferred, new cogs or old, lubricated, how
frequently, etc., etc.

OK, then let's assume a single speed bike,
either Torpedo or Shimano. It does have a chain
guard. Speed doesn't exceed 25 km/h. The person
cycling weights in at 80 kg. The chainwheel and
sprocket are 10-15 years old. The chain is
lubricated one a month.

Old December 18th 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Bike chain, how many speeds, runs inside
a chain case, how fast, how much power
transferred, new cogs or old, lubricated,
how frequently, etc., etc.

OK, then let's assume a single speed bike,
either Torpedo or Shimano. It does have a chain
guard. Speed doesn't exceed 25 km/h. The person
cycling weights in at 80 kg. The chainwheel and
sprocket are 10-15 years old. The chain is
lubricated one a month.

Oh yeah, the chain is the Shimano CN-NX10 1S
chain which is 1/2*1/8.

(silence)

"Good specifications, Manny. In that case,
I don't know"

Old December 18th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 03:24:03 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

That's sort of asking "how long is a piece of
string" :-)

Actually, that was to be my very next
question

Bike chain, how many speeds, runs inside
a chain case, how fast, how much power
transferred, new cogs or old, lubricated, how
frequently, etc., etc.

OK, then let's assume a single speed bike,
either Torpedo or Shimano. It does have a chain
guard. Speed doesn't exceed 25 km/h. The person
cycling weights in at 80 kg. The chainwheel and
sprocket are 10-15 years old. The chain is
lubricated one a month.

One of the "etc's" has to be "and how far do you ride in a normal
year, Sir?"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 18th 17, 07:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/12/17 22:43, Emanuel Berg wrote:
It seems after putting on a new chain, it turns
really slack after only 2-3 weeks. When you
then restraighten it, it remains tight
considerably longer. Is this so or does
intuition play a trick on me? In general, how
many bike hours does a chain last?

Fully enclosed hub/ss setup seem to last forever. My old dérailleur
setup was a chain a year/ about 2,000kms. The current setup, with
hub/open chain guard looks to be 3x that so far. One more year to make.

Old December 18th 17, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

One of the "etc's" has to be "and how far do
you ride in a normal year, Sir?"

Wait, isn't that a function of the answer to
*my* question (how many bike hours does a chain
last) and the speed data?

Obviously the average speed of urban cycling
isn't 25 km/h. It is rather 15 or 10 km/h.
Let's say 15 km/h to make the experiment more
"fit"

So now the data is:

- A single speed bike, either Torpedo or
Shimano.

- It does have a chain guard.

- The chain is the Shimano CN-NX10 1S which
is 1/2*1/8.

- Speed doesn't exceed 25 km/h; average speed
is 15 km/h.

Old December 18th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Another issue is - when does chain wear occur?
Is it when pedalling forward or is it when
starting and stopping, including the
foot/coaster brake?

Here we assume "normal" usage

Old December 19th 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The rear axle, chain positioning at istallation was incorrect.

Riding over sand with factory lube wudnot produce slack for miles
Old December 19th 17, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

avagadro wrote:

The rear axle, chain positioning at
istallation was incorrect.

Well, of course it is, in the platonic sense,
and the chainring/sprocket - more so the
chainring, right? - could be crooked to some
degree.

Still, should be a minor error, right

I've had this problem with professional guys
doing it, which isn't to say professional guys
cannot make mistakes. But anyway then he blamed
the new chain, and yes, I've seen this on "my"
bikes as well, onto which I always put a new
chain, so I'll not make any categoric claims at
this point...

Riding over sand with factory lube wudnot
produce slack for miles

Not even if you start and stop? N.B.
coaster brake.