backwards wheel walk

Old June 30th 05, 03:41 PM
amanda.gallacher

Default backwards wheel walk

has anyone got any tips for backwards ww? i can go about 4 or 5 pushes
which is about one 1 rotation of the wheel, but i can't seem to do any
better than that.
thanks

--
amanda.gallacher - about a level 6/7

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/free4all?page=6
click on 'our movie'.
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

Old June 30th 05, 04:29 PM
constance.cotter

Biggest thing I suggest it to pull the wheel towards you (and therefore
going backwards) with your HEELS then with the full foot. This gives you
full use of your foot and more control of the skill.

I've seen people put their toes on the wheel first. It does work, but
I'm convinced that their control isn't as good.

And... practice, practice, practice. Find someone to ww forward with you
while you're going backward. Bwd ww is a slow skill, and requires a lot
of balance.
Also try koosh-koosh. This is a faster skill, so balance isn't quite as
important.

Connie

--
constance.cotter - Unicycling Newbie for 25 years
constance.cotter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9039

Old June 30th 05, 06:11 PM
leo

constance.cotter wrote:
*HEELS*

Or toes! But in deed not the full foot.

And get strong (the earlier practise, practise practice advice).
This movement requires force in muscles you most likely hardly ever use,
and all over sudden now very intensively.
My guess is that after 5 pushes you lost your power.

As usual look forward. And do know blindly to find the wheel.

Wishing you success and patience,

--
leo - Leo Vandewoestijne

'+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) !
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Old June 30th 05, 06:26 PM
leo

leo wrote:
*I use my toes so I can step more easily, without struggling in my own
feet. Use of the full feet requires a slow speed, and so more
control.

Besides that the placement like this is also usefull to do quick (or
less quick) steering you otherwise have to do from your hips.

Get strong (the earlier practise, practise practice advice).
This movement requires force in muscles you most likely hardly ever
use, and all over sudden now very intensively.
My guess is that after 5 pushes you lost your power.

As usual look forward. And do know blindly to find the wheel.

Wishing you success and patience, *

did'nt make the 10 minutes edit limit:

Also there is less matter of exact placement of your feet on the tire.
Wheter you use the front of your toes, or the mid of your feet; no
problem.
(but if you use your full feet and are 2" off....)

So again; with your toes you can accererate faster, and make quicker
steering. I say you will have more control, than when using your full
foot.

Old June 30th 05, 06:46 PM
leo

I'll keep posting....
But watching myself doing 'the bw ww'
(http://www.unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=s320240bwww) I noticed
another benefit of the toe variant: you can make longer passes as you
can let your heels go OVER the fork-sides. When you do the full foot you
will need to stop BEFORE you'll hit the seat-post-tube. In other words,
you can make longer passes.

Old June 30th 05, 06:54 PM
amanda.gallacher

thanks for the replies. i will practice until i get it, but i find that
my feet get caught up, which is what tends to make me fall. is there any
way of stopping this? am i trying to go too fast?

Old June 30th 05, 06:58 PM
forrestunifreak

Okay weird time:

I can standupww backwards farther than I can normal(sitting on seat)
backwards ww. I cant normal backwards ww at all, I can
standupwwbackwards a little ways.

--
forrestunifreak - A fine and pleasant misery

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.

it has been known to the state of california to cause warts, toe jam,
ring-around-the-collar, compulsive twitching, and in some severe cases,
diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pshycological nudity, and
traces of peanuts.

'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)
'World clock' (http://www.kondo3d.com/stereo/java/stereoclock-e.html)

Old June 30th 05, 07:25 PM
leo

forrestunifreak wrote:
*Okay weird time:

I can standupww backwards farther than I can normal(sitting on seat)
backwards ww. I cant normal backwards ww at all, I can
standupwwbackwards a little ways.

*

Not too weird. I had the same. Stand-up is less scary (as the risk of a
seriousl fall is nihil). Also it's a way different skill. Sit down and
you'll have koosh-koosh, get used to that one (Connie's advice).... and
you'll be better prepared to the scary feeling that the learning stage
of real bw ww brings.

Old June 30th 05, 10:09 PM
amanda.gallacher

i can now do 2 revs almost every time. i turn a lot though, and cos i
practise on the pavement, i have to dismount. i will keep practising and
when i can do it solidly i will try post a vid.

Old June 30th 05, 10:20 PM
Catboy

I cant backwards wheelwalk very well, but I've been kicking my butt
trying to learn Koosh Koosh, it's mega-fun when you get a good push.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

I like my women like I like I like my programming... Logical? No. C++