How do you set brake toe-in?

Old November 12th 04, 03:16 AM
ItsMan

Default How do you set brake toe-in?

I have an MTB with Shimano centerpull cantilevers. They came with a
used Trek 820.

HOW do you set toe-in? I don't see any screw or nut that will let me
"angle" the brakes relative to the rim.

Thanks,

IM
Old November 12th 04, 11:24 AM
Peter Cole

"ItsMan" wrote in message
om...
I have an MTB with Shimano centerpull cantilevers. They came with a
used Trek 820.

HOW do you set toe-in? I don't see any screw or nut that will let me
"angle" the brakes relative to the rim.

If you loosen the pads you should be able to rotate them. The mounting
hardware is curved, as is the brake arm. If you want toe-in, use a shim at
the "heel" before tightening.

Old November 12th 04, 03:13 PM
Neil Brooks

(ItsMan) wrote:

HOW do you set toe-in? I don't see any screw or nut that will let me
"angle" the brakes relative to the rim.

Zoot Katz wrote:

Use a shim between the rim and trailing edge of the brake pad when
adjusting them. Something like a thumb tack, dime, piece of wire or
rubber band.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_cant.shtml

Use a credit card as your shim. It's just about the right amount of toe . .
.. and it's the only thing the damned things are good for ;-)

Giraffe unicycle free mounting (no steps, steps and brake steps) Ken Fuchs Unicycling 2 November 10th 03 10:05 PM
New Coker: Hunter frame, Stockton wheel rubic Unicycling 14 September 15th 03 04:07 PM
Tightening brake cables Pete Biggs UK 12 September 4th 03 08:50 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM
*Edit Me* - New FAQ addition on brake squeal. ant Techniques 1 July 23rd 03 06:52 AM