opinions on Team Performance membership?

Old November 12th 04, 07:20 PM
Matt Hoyle

Default opinions on Team Performance membership?

Greetings,

Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?

I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others thought.

Thanks for reading,
Matt Hoyle
Matt Hoyle
(remove the Z's to reply)
Old November 12th 04, 07:28 PM
GaryG

"Matt Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings,

Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?

I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others thought.

Thanks for reading,
Matt Hoyle
Matt Hoyle
(remove the Z's to reply)

I purchase often enough that I appreciate the shipping upgrade that's part
of membership.

Typically, I let my membership lapse, but then renew it just before a major
purchase (a purchase over $200 will pay for the cost of a year's
membership).

They also supposedly have some "members only" sales, but I don't know if
they're really better than the regular sales prices.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old November 12th 04, 08:18 PM
Matt Hoyle

GaryG wrote:
[snip]
I purchase often enough that I appreciate the shipping upgrade that's part
of membership.

Typically, I let my membership lapse, but then renew it just before a major
purchase (a purchase over $200 will pay for the cost of a year's
membership).

They also supposedly have some "members only" sales, but I don't know if
they're really better than the regular sales prices.

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Yes, the members-only sales were one of the
things I was curious about.

Thanks again,
Matt

Matt Hoyle
(remove the Z's to reply)
Old November 12th 04, 08:31 PM
Chuck Davis

"Matt Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings,

Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?

I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others thought.

Thanks for reading,
Matt Hoyle

I've been a member for several years and I like what it offers. Your main
decision should be based on whether or not you'll spend $200 a year in
purchases. It's also nice to have the two day shipping upgrade. Once I
decide I want something, I want it now! 8) You have to watch out for the
Team only sales, though. I've gotten some good deals through them, but I've
also seen cases where you pay MORE than you would as a regular buyer. Don't
assume that because it's a Team only item that it's a good deal.

Chuck Davis

Old November 12th 04, 09:34 PM
Matt Hoyle

Chuck Davis wrote:
[snip]
I've been a member for several years and I like what it offers. Your main
decision should be based on whether or not you'll spend $200 a year in
purchases. It's also nice to have the two day shipping upgrade. Once I
decide I want something, I want it now! 8) You have to watch out for the
Team only sales, though. I've gotten some good deals through them, but I've
also seen cases where you pay MORE than you would as a regular buyer. Don't
assume that because it's a Team only item that it's a good deal.

Chuck Davis

Thanks for the reply, Chuck. As things are now, I'm pretty sure I'll
spend $200 a year for the next year (at least).

Thanks again,
Matt

Matt Hoyle
(remove the Z's to reply)
Old November 12th 04, 09:54 PM
Matt O'Toole

GaryG wrote:

"Matt Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..

Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?

I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others
thought.

I purchase often enough that I appreciate the shipping upgrade that's
part of membership.

Typically, I let my membership lapse, but then renew it just before a
major purchase (a purchase over $200 will pay for the cost of a year's
membership).

It can be worth it if you spend more than that a year. Sometimes you get a spot
discount on a major item if you sign up at the same time, which can pay for the
membership and then some. I found it worthwhile once, but I rarely spend that
much on bike stuff anymore, especially all in one place.

If you have close friends who are cyclists too, one of you can get the
membership and order stuff for the others. This saves on shipping too.

The shipping upgrade could be worthwhile, but I live within a day of where
Performance ships from anyway. Last time I placed an order late at night, it
arrived the very next day, with regular shipping.

They also supposedly have some "members only" sales, but I don't know
if they're really better than the regular sales prices.

That's a good question. In the past the members-only sales were definately
better, but these days they send out flyers with every order with the same kinds
of deals on them.

As with many things, YMMV.

Matt O.

Old November 12th 04, 10:23 PM
Gooserider

"Matt Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..
GaryG wrote:
[snip]
I purchase often enough that I appreciate the shipping upgrade that's

part
of membership.

Typically, I let my membership lapse, but then renew it just before a

major
purchase (a purchase over $200 will pay for the cost of a year's
membership).

They also supposedly have some "members only" sales, but I don't know if
they're really better than the regular sales prices.

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Yes, the members-only sales were one of the
things I was curious about.

Thanks again,
Matt

The members-only sales sometimes have good deals, but the accruing of points
is what paid off for me. I buy often and let my points accrue for a couple
of years---I ended up getting a bike rack to hold my two bikes for the cost
of shipping only.

Old November 12th 04, 10:28 PM
Roger Zoul

Matt Hoyle wrote:
|| Greetings,
|| Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
|| www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
|| commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?
|| I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others
|| thought.
|| Thanks for reading,
|| Matt Hoyle

I'm in my first year (just outside of it, now that I think about it) cycling
and i'm still buying stuff, so I recently joined. I really do enjoy the
upgraded shipping, cause I don't like to wait. The special sales they have
just seem to be advanced regular sales so far But the good thing is I've
already made back my $20, so it seems worth it so far.

Old November 13th 04, 12:18 AM
Rich Clark

"Matt Hoyle" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings,

Are there any Team Performance (the buying club at
www.performancebike.com) members out there? If so, would you mind
commenting on your impressions of the club? Worth it?

I've been considering joining and was curious as to what others thought.

I let my membership lapse when a) I eased off on the volume of my purchases,
b) I started finding other, cheaper sources for things I wanted (even with
the points), and c) Performance increasingly didn't have exactly what I was
looking for.

YMMV.

RichC

Old November 13th 04, 01:20 AM

I let my membership lapse when a) I eased off on the volume of my purchases,
b) I started finding other, cheaper sources for things I wanted (even with
the points), and c) Performance increasingly didn't have exactly what I was
looking for.

YMMV.

RichC

Same here. It was good while it lasted, but I do not regret leaving.

(remove clothes to reply)