What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

Old March 9th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default What Motorist Advocacy Does For Cycling

On Mar 9, 7:36*am, Peter Cole wrote:

Frank attempts to dismiss facilities on any grounds simply
because he opposes them on principle.

That is false. Anyone can read where I've written in favor of certain
facilities, and where I've mentioned several times the ones I actively
worked for.

I am against facilities that are badly designed. I am also against
the false propaganda claiming it's unsafe to ride a bicycle on
ordinary roads. I'm further against the idea (stated by you) that
riding among any car traffic at all is "not at all" pleasant.

Safety isn't an issue in absolute terms, nor in relative, given that the
improvement in safety given by increased numbers is the dominant effect.

As I've said befo It's immoral to actively endanger individual
cyclists (by luring them into dangerous facilities) in order to
increase safety for the aggregate. Bicyclists should not be treated
as foot soldiers, and expected to risk their lives for some potential
common good.

I only need to compare facility-free Boston and facilitated Portland to
see that. I'll take Portland, thank you. You guys ride where you like,
no one is forcing you to use a facility.

Seems to me your logic is calling for you to move to Portland or
Copenhagen and ride there. No one is forcing you to try to screw up
Boston or any other city.

- Frank Krygowski