Holiday Brew for the bike

Old December 14th 15, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Default Holiday Brew for the bike

OK what is the better offerings for the Christmas Beers this year as we tune
the bike. So far I have only had my standby Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
2015. It is as usually a tremendous beer. Have not tried any other yet. How
is the Sam Adams offering and of course in my case I find that after 2 SNCA
I have much more trouble fine tuning the front derailleur, that is my limit.
Wonder if Muzi has some insight from up north.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Old December 14th 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 5:24:38 PM UTC-8, mark cleary wrote:
OK what is the better offerings for the Christmas Beers this year as we tune
the bike. So far I have only had my standby Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
2015. It is as usually a tremendous beer. Have not tried any other yet. How
is the Sam Adams offering and of course in my case I find that after 2 SNCA
I have much more trouble fine tuning the front derailleur, that is my limit.
Wonder if Muzi has some insight from up north.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

It depends on what you like and what you can get. The Russian River IPAs (Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger) are well regarded, but only the elder is available in bottles -- and not often. I'm partial to the Oregon brewers and drink the Breakside IPA and Rogue Dead Guy Ale and a bunch of others. Boneyard Hop Venom is reputed to be better than Pliny the Younger, which is hard to believe, but who knows. We have like a trillion micro-breweries, and craft beer is big up here. http://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/ I can't keep up, and I don't try.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 14th 15, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/13/2015 9:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Maybe you'll be glad to know that Rogue Dead Guy makes it as far east as
Ohio. It's my wife's favorite.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 14th 15, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/13/2015 7:24 PM, mark cleary wrote:
OK what is the better offerings for the Christmas Beers this
year as we tune the bike. So far I have only had my standby
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2015. It is as usually a
tremendous beer. Have not tried any other yet. How is the
Sam Adams offering and of course in my case I find that
after 2 SNCA I have much more trouble fine tuning the front
derailleur, that is my limit. Wonder if Muzi has some
insight from up north.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Sorry I don't I'm not a beer drinker.
But I can tell you that any mention of a particular beer
will engage a very long and sometimes passionate discussion
on the merits/deficiencies of another dozen products.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 14th 15, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 7:36:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I was at a last-night-of-Hanukkah party last night (I'm Episcopalian, one of the lost tribes) and met this guy: http://www.cascadebrewing.com/ Interesting character who brought some of his "sour beer." As it turns out, if you age beer, it gets sour due to lactobacillis (same thing that sours milk) -- and that most beers of yore were somewhat sour. It's not really to my liking and happy I don't live in days of yore.

Interestingly, he wanted to talk about bikes -- and how our microbreweries were getting swallowed up by large corporations. Ten Barrel was the latest to go, and speaking of Ten Barrel, their brewpub is right across the street from the Rogue brewpub on NW 14th. Get your fill of Dead Guy and then stagger across the street for some IPA.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 14th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
: Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

:Sorry I don't I'm not a beer drinker.
:But I can tell you that any mention of a particular beer
:will engage a very long and sometimes passionate discussion
n the merits/deficiencies of another dozen products.

So nothing at all like bikes?

--
sig 1
Old December 14th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/14/2015 7:36 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I was at a last-night-of-Hanukkah party last night (I'm Episcopalian, one of the lost tribes) and met this guy: http://www.cascadebrewing.com/ Interesting character who brought some of his "sour beer." As it turns out, if you age beer, it gets sour due to lactobacillis (same thing that sours milk) -- and that most beers of yore were somewhat sour. It's not really to my liking and happy I don't live in days of yore.

Interestingly, he wanted to talk about bikes -- and how our microbreweries were getting swallowed up by large corporations. Ten Barrel was the latest to go, and speaking of Ten Barrel, their brewpub is right across the street from the Rogue brewpub on NW 14th. Get your fill of Dead Guy and then stagger across the street for some IPA.

I was at a wedding in Baltimore this weekend, also on the last night of
Hanukkah and a second or third cousin who I'd never met before wanted to
talk about bikes. He was all set to spend about $2500 on a Trek CF, as
his first road bike, and he didn't realize some of the issues he'd have
to deal with. He was not really interested in adding another $300 or so
for a CF compatible car rack. By the end of our conversation he was
going to buy either aluminum or titanium.

The beer conversation I had was with the bartender manning the beer and
wine table, who was Irish. They had no good beers available so I was
drinking vodka. And they had latkes for appetizers.

Short ceremony, open bar--a good wedding. And excellent food (which is
unusual for a Jewish wedding).
Old December 14th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2015-12-13 19:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/13/2015 9:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 5:24:38 PM UTC-8, mark cleary wrote:
OK what is the better offerings for the Christmas Beers this year as
we tune
the bike. So far I have only had my standby Sierra Nevada Celebration
Ale
2015. It is as usually a tremendous beer. Have not tried any other
yet. How
is the Sam Adams offering and of course in my case I find that after
2 SNCA
I have much more trouble fine tuning the front derailleur, that is my
limit.
Wonder if Muzi has some insight from up north.
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

It depends on what you like and what you can get. The Russian River
IPAs (Pliny the Elder, ...

Yes!

One of my cycling route "gas stations" sometimes has it.

... Pliny the Younger) are well regarded, but only
the elder is available in bottles -- and not often. I'm partial to the
Oregon brewers and drink the Breakside IPA and Rogue Dead Guy Ale and
a bunch of others. Boneyard Hop Venom is reputed to be better than
Pliny the Younger, which is hard to believe, but who knows. We have
like a trillion micro-breweries, and craft beer is big up here.
http://oregoncraftbeer.org/facts/ I can't keep up, and I don't try.

Maybe you'll be glad to know that Rogue Dead Guy makes it as far east as
Ohio. It's my wife's favorite.

This has proven to be pupular this year not just with my wife and I but
also with visitors, saisonal but not exactly for Christmas:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/hoptober

Not too OT here because that brewery is very much bicycle-themed:

http://www.newbelgium.com/brewery

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 14th 15, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:04:46 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

Carbon compatible car rack? What do you mean? All of my Yakima roof racks work with my CF bikes. Considering that they were designed by my next-door neighbor and good riding buddy, I have it on reliable authority that my fork mounts will not eat my CF fork, assuming I don't do something really stupid when loading the bike. In fact, I've been using fork-mount bike racks on CF forks for 20+ years. I also have a High Roller and a Holdup (hitch rack) that also work with CF and any other stable material capable of ownership without a license from the DOE/AEC.

Keep in mind that your cousin's aluminum or titanium frames will have CF forks. If your concern is about fork mounts, then it exists regardless of frame material.

It is true that CF can be damaged by impacts, so it is probably not a great material for a first-time buyer who may be ham-handed with tools or have bad balance or some other issue requiring a more robust material. I would not use a CF frame for my commuter because of the abuse it takes in the rack and in general. CF is more tender. That's a fact.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 14th 15, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/14/2015 10:19 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
: Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

:Sorry I don't I'm not a beer drinker.
:But I can tell you that any mention of a particular beer
:will engage a very long and sometimes passionate discussion
n the merits/deficiencies of another dozen products.

So nothing at all like bikes?

Good point.

Plenty of kibitzers are happy to explain that you are doing
all wrong.