Holiday Brew for the bike

Old December 14th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Holiday Brew for the bike

On 12/14/2015 10:20 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:04:46 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/14/2015 7:36 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I was at a last-night-of-Hanukkah party last night (I'm Episcopalian, one of the lost tribes) and met this guy: http://www.cascadebrewing.com/ Interesting character who brought some of his "sour beer." As it turns out, if you age beer, it gets sour due to lactobacillis (same thing that sours milk) -- and that most beers of yore were somewhat sour. It's not really to my liking and happy I don't live in days of yore.

Interestingly, he wanted to talk about bikes -- and how our microbreweries were getting swallowed up by large corporations. Ten Barrel was the latest to go, and speaking of Ten Barrel, their brewpub is right across the street from the Rogue brewpub on NW 14th. Get your fill of Dead Guy and then stagger across the street for some IPA.

I was at a wedding in Baltimore this weekend, also on the last night of
Hanukkah and a second or third cousin who I'd never met before wanted to
talk about bikes. He was all set to spend about $2500 on a Trek CF, as
his first road bike, and he didn't realize some of the issues he'd have
to deal with. He was not really interested in adding another $300 or so
for a CF compatible car rack. By the end of our conversation he was
going to buy either aluminum or titanium.

The beer conversation I had was with the bartender manning the beer and
wine table, who was Irish. They had no good beers available so I was
drinking vodka. And they had latkes for appetizers.

Short ceremony, open bar--a good wedding. And excellent food (which is
unusual for a Jewish wedding).

Carbon compatible car rack? What do you mean? All of my Yakima roof racks work with my CF bikes. Considering that they were designed by my next-door neighbor and good riding buddy, I have it on reliable authority that my fork mounts will not eat my CF fork, assuming I don't do something really stupid when loading the bike. In fact, I've been using fork-mount bike racks on CF forks for 20+ years. I also have a High Roller and a Holdup (hitch rack) that also work with CF and any other stable material capable of ownership without a license from the DOE/AEC.

The issue is that a CF frame is supposed to be held in the rack by only
the wheels. It is not supposed to be hung on a hitch rack's arms, or be
clamped by the frame, either on the top tube, or the down tube.

There are now roof mounts for carbon fiber frames, and hitch racks for
carbon fiber frames. The fork mount roof racks are okay as well, though
it's better to have a roof rack where the bicycle sits on both wheels
than one where it's clamped in by the fork. A lot of the fork mount
racks also won't work with disc brakes, besides their other issues.

I.e. for Yakima, https://www.yakima.com/frontloader where it states:
"Zero contact with frame; carbon fiber and custom paint jobs are
protected," or Thule Sidearm 594XT: "SecureHook holds the bike by
grabbing the front wheel – no frame contact is made." For a hitch rack,
Thule has the Thule T2 2 Bike 917XTR which also state: "SecureHook with
integrated cable lock secures the bike without making frame contact."

There are several "wheels only" racks now, but they cost a lot more than
the older racks, partly because they are a lot more complex, and partly
because of what the market will bear.

Old December 14th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/14/2015 10:24 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/14/2015 10:19 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
: Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

:Sorry I don't I'm not a beer drinker.
:But I can tell you that any mention of a particular beer
:will engage a very long and sometimes passionate discussion
n the merits/deficiencies of another dozen products.

So nothing at all like bikes?

Good point.

Plenty of kibitzers are happy to explain that you are doing all wrong.

And often they have an agenda, either because they are trying to sell
you something, or because they are convinced that everyone in the world
should do everything the same way they do, even when all the evidence
proves that it's what _they_ are doing is what actually is all wrong.

Old December 14th 15, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 10:52:50 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
[...]

My Yakima Forklift works on most any OEM crossbars (I have it on a Subaru); it's relatively cheap, and it works with CF forks -- and my disc bikes. http://www.rei.com/product/783751/ya...lift-bike-rack The rack costs $159 at REI, so it is not $300 more than an "ordinary" rack -- unless you're buying ordinary racks for negative dollars. To the extent you need cross-bars and towers (because your car does not have an OEM roof rack), then you would have to buy those anyway and regardless of whether you had a CF or steel bike.

Yes, I could see you not wanting to put a CF frame on a hanger-type hitch-rack -- but those are becoming passe for reasons related to frame shape rather than frame material. http://images.internetstores.de/prod..._2550x1700.jpg

Try hanging that or many compact designs on road bikes -- which has all the bikes hanging catawumpus. Also, IMO, most young purchasers are not interested in hitch racks -- being that they don't have kids or need to haul a lot of bikes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 14th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 1:21:05 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that your cousin's aluminum or titanium frames will have CF forks. If your concern is about fork mounts, then it exists regardless of frame material.

It is true that CF can be damaged by impacts, so it is probably not a great material for a first-time buyer who may be ham-handed with tools or have bad balance or some other issue requiring a more robust material. I would not use a CF frame for my commuter because of the abuse it takes in the rack and in general. CF is more tender. That's a fact.

-- Jay Beattie.

Saw a young lsdy n s rail-trail (crushed limestone surface)riding a really nice carbon fiber road bike that had very deep gouges in the chainstays. She said they were caused by the trunk lid hitting the frame when she was driving the car with the bike partway out of the trunk. I wondered how long she'd have the bike before those chainstays broke.

Cheers
Old December 14th 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 2:29:33 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Good bicycle related advice and SMS are oxymorons.

If people are so concerned about damaging a bicycle then why not mount it upside down and secure it by the saddle and handle bars?

Cheers
Old December 14th 15, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/14/2015 11:29 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That is just the mount. If you don't already have a roof rack to attach
it to, you're going to spend another $200 or so for crossbars, a foot
pack, and the clamps.

In the case of who I was talking to, they want a hitch rack. Hitch racks
and roof racks each have their pros and cons, but one con for a roof
rack for him is that he's pretty short.

Yes, I could see you not wanting to put a CF frame on a hanger-type hitch-rack -- but those are becoming passe for reasons related to frame shape rather than frame material. http://images.internetstores.de/prod..._2550x1700.jpg

Not just hanger type hitch racks, but even many of the wheel tray hitch
racks have the wheels sit in the tray or the wheel holders, and then
something slides down to hold the frame. You can't use these with CF
bikes either.

Try hanging that or many compact designs on road bikes -- which has all the bikes hanging catawumpus. Also, IMO, most young purchasers are not interested in hitch racks -- being that they don't have kids or need to haul a lot of bikes.

Avoid compact frame designs at all costs, not because of the racks but
for all the other reasons.

Old December 14th 15, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 11:42:21 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Another dope for the SMS rogues gallery -- on multiple levels. I do hope she doesn't crash. The good news is that her stays can be fixed. http://www..ruckuscomp.com/ Watch the video! http://www.ruckuscomp.com/process
Some people should be issued a Flying Pigeon and then allowed to upgrade only after they have shown some competence -- and respect for the machine.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 14th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/14/2015 2:08 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

People got away with throwing their bicycles partway into the trunk, and
closing the lid on them, for many decades. Now they buy SUVs large
enough to carry the bikes inside since even on a proper rack they are
more subject to damage than a metal-framed bicycle.

Most bicycle shops selling high-end carbon fiber bicycles provide a
sheet with use and care instructions, i.e. one local shop has these
instructions printed on a single sheet of paper and they make you sigh a
copy as part of the sales process.

Congratulations on Your Purchase of a New Carbon Fiber Bicycle!

Please note, that unlike steel, aluminum, or titanium framed bicycles,
carbon fiber frames and components are not as robust and as tolerant to
abuse. Therefore, please keep the following in mind to maximize the
lifetime of your new bicycle:

1. Repairs to carbon fiber frames should only be performed by certified
mechanics.

2. Care for carbon fiber frames and components as you would care for
other fragile items.

3. Carbon fiber frames or components that have been damaged in a crash
should be replaced.

4. Carbon fiber frames, handlebars, forks, and seat posts should be
periodically x-rayed to look for hidden damage and defects.

5. Never use steel or aluminum clamps to mount accessories onto carbon
fiber frames, seat posts, or handlebars.

6. Use car carriers that do not touch the frame; look for "wheels-only"
type carriers. Do not put a carbon fiber bicycle into the trunk of your
vehicle.

7. Do not store your bicycle in a rack where other bicycles could
contact the frame, such as the bicycle racks on Caltrain.

8. The lifetime frame warranty on frames is for manufacturer's defects
only, it does not cover damage caused by the owner.

Old December 15th 15, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
: Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

:Sorry I don't I'm not a beer drinker.
:But I can tell you that any mention of a particular beer
:will engage a very long and sometimes passionate discussion
n the merits/deficiencies of another dozen products.

So nothing at all like bikes?

Good point.

Plenty of kibitzers are happy to explain that you are doing all wrong.

There are two kinds of people in this world: The people who get
everything done, and the people who tell them they're doing it wrong.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 15th 15, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/14/2015 2:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 10:52:50 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:

The issue is that a CF frame is supposed to be held in the rack by only
the wheels. It is not supposed to be hung on a hitch rack's arms, or be
clamped by the frame, either on the top tube, or the down tube.

Yes, I could see you not wanting to put a CF frame on a hanger-type hitch-rack --

but those are becoming passe for reasons related to frame shape rather
than frame material.

I assume the worry about hanging a bike relates to abrasion. It's
unlikely to be otherwise damaged by hanging the top tube on rack hooks.
But do Trek or Specialized (or others) really say not to do that?

I seldom use that type of rack any more, but friends' modern racks of
that type seem to be especially well cushioned, unlike the ones I used
decades ago. New ones seem to have at least 12mm of soft rubber,
whereas the old ones had about a 1mm layer of Plasti-Dip or other
plastic compound over a steel rod.

Even back in those days, there were ways to avoid abrasion. After our
bikes got their first custom re-paint, I wrapped the frames with a
couple layers of inner tube rubber at the contact points. The paint
stayed pristine on 1000 mile drives. Later, I just relaxed about it,
and still had no significant problems.

Shorter version: This sounds like another Scharfian mountain made from
a molehill.

--
- Frank Krygowski