New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

Old March 22nd 17, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 22:57:53 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 19:31:04 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:08:01 -0400, Garrison Hilliard
wrote:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A new Ohio law requires drivers to allow at
least 3 feet of space when passing bicyclists on the road, (...)
http://www.fox19.com/story/34960657/...ass-bicyclists

I noticed that California drivers are already practicing their passing
skills in maintaining a 3ft clearance. A car and cyclist were
approaching from the opposite direction on a two lane roadway. In
order to pass the cyclist, the car swerved into oncoming traffic
nearly causing it to hit me head on. I had to swerve and drive on the
road shoulder in order to prevent an impact. Perhaps it might be
useful for the law to explain what a driver should do if it's not
possible to safely pass with a 3ft clearance?

It is in the ontario law. The driver must wait to pass untill it is
safe to do so.

I should have checked the applicable laws before posting.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/safely-passing-bicyclists.aspx
California is quite specific about what to do if it's not safe to
pass. Most of the other states either don't mention this, qualify
passing as "safely passing", or just assume that no sane driver would
dive into oncoming traffic while passing.

Only one state (S. Dakota) has a provision for addition clearance at
higher speeds. I'm not sure what this means:
"A motorist overtaking a bicycle proceeding in the same direction
may partially cross the highway centerline between two lanes of
travel in the same direction if it can be performed safely."
Last time I checked, crossing the center line puts one in the opposite
direction, not the same direction.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 22nd 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Not the center line of the highway. The center line between two lanes
of travel in the same direction. So a 4 lane highway maybe?

Old March 22nd 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Sorry. Didn't realize this was cross posted to 3 groups...
Old March 22nd 17, 09:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Not on multi-lane roads - and a LARGE number of Ontario roads have
more than one lane in each direction. The BIG ones don't allow
bicycles though (We hve some that are over 8 lanes in each direction)

Many of you Americans don't realize the busiest roads in North America
are in Ontario - NOT California!!!
Old March 22nd 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

or a 4 or 6 lane urban arterial road. -we have several of those here
in Waterloo Region which are legal for bikes
Old March 22nd 17, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

(channeling Yogi Berra) nobody drives on the LA freeways,
they're too crowded.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/