Fatigue Life of Aluminum

Old July 25th 17, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Fatigue Life of Aluminum

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 09:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 6:09:28 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/24/2017 4:49 AM, wrote:
Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

Like the 'phillpis curve' and other fantasies of the 1970s,
that was roundly debunked years ago.

what are some others?

Try googling it. I get 40,400 replies in mere seconds.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 17, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:18:19 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
:On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 18:45:08 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

:The fatigue life of aluminum is

:In 1965 or 6 I worked on DC-3's built in the 1930's. My mother had

Some of those DC-3s are still working. There's someone who put turbo
props on them, even. They're not pressurized, so they dont' suffer
from pressure cycles, and they structure is such that every part can
be replaced, without too much other changes.

Yes, there are a surprising number in "daily" use and yes they are
pretty easy to fix. But then so are most aluminum airplanes.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 17, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:46:21 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

The fatigue life of aluminum is

In 1965 or 6 I worked on DC-3's built in the 1930's. My mother had
aluminum cooking pots that she bought in ~1930 and lasted until her
death in 1992.

Is this scene accurate?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQRGuX_a5Fg

No it isn't. although the results are pretty much what will happen if
a "gun ship" were to fire on a crowd.

The mini guns on a C-47 gun ship, which the video does picture, were
initially fixed a fairly shallow angle and in about 1966, or so the
angle was increased so they the aircraft didn't need to bank so
steeply, but in any case the aircraft would be banked and circling the
target when they fired.

In an actual attack all three of the guns would probably have been
fired. Accuracy was sufficient that when we tested the new higher
angled mounting we dropped an empty 5 gal drum in the bay, from about
500 ft, and circled around and made a 1 second firing pass. There was
a sort of explosion of spray and when the spray settled there was
nothing there.

Seems to be a composite film made of actual gun ship flights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 17, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

correction, that should have read 55 gallon barrel

Old July 25th 17, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/24/2017 4:49 AM, wrote:
Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

Like the 'phillpis curve' and other fantasies of the 1970s,
that was roundly debunked years ago.

what are some others?

Try googling it. I get 40,400 replies in mere seconds.
--
Cheers,

John B.

'peak oil', laetrile

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 25th 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2017 4:49 AM, wrote:
Al cookware is highly suspect for causing Alzheimers

Like the 'phillpis curve' and other fantasies of the 1970s,
that was roundly debunked years ago.

what are some others?

Try googling it. I get 40,400 replies in mere seconds.
--
Cheers,

John B.

'peak oil', laetrile

Trickle down economics. "We will be greeted as liberators."

Oops. Not ancient enough, sorry.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 25th 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

:The fatigue life of aluminum is

:In 1965 or 6 I worked on DC-3's built in the 1930's. My mother had

Some of those DC-3s are still working. There's someone who put turbo
props on them, even. They're not pressurized, so they dont' suffer
from pressure cycles, and they structure is such that every part can
be replaced, without too much other changes.

The Goon still flies passengers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBpwXSz_io

You can absolutely guarantee that every piece of aluminum on that aircraft has been replaced.

I doubt it. I have also seen some south of here that looked really old
and flew regular routes. On this one they didn't even invest much in
modern avionics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSv3Gs4FHU

In the hanger I've watched them replacing sections of aluminum paneling on the wings because of cracking around the rivets. They didn't treat it as anything unusual and were quite professional in drilling out the old rivets, walking off with the panel and then showing up again later with a new panel and riveting it back in place.

DC-3's and 4's were real work horses. You didn't see anyone using the larger prop planes.
Old July 25th 17, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-24 18:18,
wrote:

[...]

Sure, wing paneling in high stress area will have to be replaced once in
a while just like we need new rims on our bicycles at times. But not
every piece of aluminum on the aircraft. Look at the cockpit in the
video where it seems nothing of the aluminum there ever got replaced.
They probably have to don rain coats when the weather is bad.

DC-3's and 4's were real work horses. You didn't see anyone using the
larger prop planes.

Up north they still fly the others commercially, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RUIjlfdy4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE2eQJGBcjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvWpAVYdEeI

Getting back to bicycles I am amazed what the aluminum on my MTB takes.
It is my first aluminum bike and I was initially skeptical. This bike
often has to go through nasty turf while loaded to the gills (it's
modded in back for that). Then there are the rock hits at higher speeds.
When they hit my shins it hurts a lot and often blood flows. When they
hit the down tube there is a loud *KANG* and sometimes I think "Well,
that one must have made a dent". And when I stop and look it didn't,
just scratches.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/