broke brake boss stem

Old August 27th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

Default broke brake boss stem

Part 1. I inherited a Bike Friday NWT, with a bent brake sten (6 mm threading), and broke it off while trying to straighten it. This looks to be welded in place, rather than screwed in place. Do I need a frame builder to replace it, or is there a work around?

Part 2. Any recommendations for a frame builder to repair it? I live a little north of Boston.

Thanks,
Larry
Old August 27th 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 8:49:21 AM UTC-7, LF wrote:
Part 1. I inherited a Bike Friday NWT, with a bent brake sten (6 mm threading), and broke it off while trying to straighten it. This looks to be welded in place, rather than screwed in place. Do I need a frame builder to replace it, or is there a work around?

Part 2. Any recommendations for a frame builder to repair it? I live a little north of Boston.

Thanks,
Larry

If it was welded in place that's your best bet. This is inexpensive. The refinishing is more so.
Old August 27th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/27/2017 10:49 AM, LF wrote:
Part 1. I inherited a Bike Friday NWT, with a bent brake sten (6 mm threading), and broke it off while trying to straighten it. This looks to be welded in place, rather than screwed in place. Do I need a frame builder to replace it, or is there a work around?

Part 2. Any recommendations for a frame builder to repair it? I live a little north of Boston.

Yes, steel brake mounts are easily repaired with minimal
paint loss.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/