Sidewalk cycling is dangerous (& so are pit bulls)

Old October 29th 04, 02:01 PM
the black rose

Badger_South wrote:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:38:30 GMT, the black rose
wrote:
Don't compare your mileage to Badger, he's a body-builder.

And don't expect to be jumping in and punishing those Cat C club riders in
under a year, like Rose, she's got were-Yorkie genes.

*snort* I'm not punishing them yet.

I did find out that I can't ride 35 miles if I do the first
20 at 17-18 mph though. By the time I got home my face was
locked in a grimace and I had to crawl up the stairs to the
shower. Literally.

But he's right about riding 20-30 mins a day at first. You
might feel like you can do more... and then you do too
much... and then you can't walk for a week... (the voice of
experience here)

Here's where you have the Domestiques carry you around and peel you grapes
and massage your quads, right? Rose had three male domestiques that work
for her in the peloton, but think she's down to one, plus a part-timer,
iirc.

The DH didn't peel any grapes, but he did massage my quads.
Gingerly. While I winced. And occasionally squawked
involuntarily in pain.

The junior domestiques just laughed at me. You know what
teenaged boys are like.

-B
A domestique for every occasion, I always say.

I think I'll leave fashion to Fabrizio. :-D

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 29th 04, 04:11 PM
Maggie

Remember, it's the little bit every day. I rode about 20-30 min per day for
about 6 months, and only missed a few snow days. It's all about consistency
at first. By June I was up to over 100 miles per week, consistently. In
July I rode over 330 miles in about 13 days.

Good luck and don't let the 'complexity' bother you. Everybody here is very
nice.

100 miles per week??????? 330 miles in 13 days??? Are you Superman?
;-)
I don't think I will ever ride that much in my life, but I do hope I
stay consistant and ride around my little town every morning. For
about 30 minutes. I am beginning to think my Walmart bike is a piece
of junk. YA THINK?? I know a guy who rides to work every day. He also
does long distance bike rides. There are articles in the paper about
him all the time and he plasters them on the bulletin board. He works
at a hospital where I volunteer twice a week in Montclair. I tried
his bike. I SWEAR, I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE HECK I WAS DOING but I did
know that the seat was a heck of a lot more comfortable. I think his
bike cost a few thousand dollars more than my 59 dollar bike. He was
the one who encouraged me to ride again. People who ride seem to be
very passionate about the whole subject. I like that!!!
I admire you ......sounds like you really work hard at staying fit.
Thats great.
PEACE AND STUFF!!!!!
Old October 29th 04, 04:41 PM
Badger_South

wrote:
Don't compare your mileage to Badger, he's a body-builder.

And don't expect to be jumping in and punishing those Cat C club riders in
under a year, like Rose, she's got were-Yorkie genes.

*snort* I'm not punishing them yet.

Note the operative word, folks.. 'yet'.

I did find out that I can't ride 35 miles if I do the first
20 at 17-18 mph though. By the time I got home my face was
locked in a grimace and I had to crawl up the stairs to the
shower. Literally.

Now, don't take this the wrong way, but if you looked like Halle Berry, I'd
ask you to marry me. But not for the looks...for the image of you locked in
a grimace crawling up the stairs. You RULE! (heehee)

But he's right about riding 20-30 mins a day at first. You
might feel like you can do more... and then you do too
much... and then you can't walk for a week... (the voice of
experience here)

Here's where you have the Domestiques carry you around and peel you grapes
and massage your quads, right? Rose had three male domestiques that work
for her in the peloton, but think she's down to one, plus a part-timer,
iirc.

The DH didn't peel any grapes, but he did massage my quads.
Gingerly. While I winced. And occasionally squawked
involuntarily in pain.

Uh, did I call it or what? The key is better training...

....of the domestiques! Get to it, girl!

The junior domestiques just laughed at me. You know what
teenaged boys are like.

-B
A domestique for every occasion, I always say.

I think I'll leave fashion to Fabrizio. :-D

Huh? It's all about the accessories, I told you that! Claire just
illustrated that in her previous post!

"Black tights, a high vis chartreuse vest, black booties, weird wrap around
sunglasses, cleats that he couldn't walk in. "

Biker girls in black tights and tight bikes. It's all about the bike, yep,
yep.

-B
It -is- all about the bike, or, uh the laptop they're carrying, or the
size....of...the...hard drive in their TiVO.

Old October 29th 04, 04:46 PM
Badger_South

On 29 Oct 2004 03:15:36 -0700, (Maggie) wrote:

the black rose wrote in message ...
Don't compare your mileage to Badger, he's a body-builder.
But he's right about riding 20-30 mins a day at first. You
might feel like you can do more... and then you do too
much... and then you can't walk for a week... (the voice of
experience here) Good luck and don't let the 'complexity' bother you. Everybody here is very nice.

*cough* Everybody? *innocent look*

-km

I definately will NOT compare anything I do to a BODY BUILDER....If I
ride a half an hour to an hour a day, I consider myself a SUPER HERO.

Don't be ridiculous. I may have superficial muscles, but I'm nowhere near
the inner power and development of an intermediate, let alone an advanced
cyclist. Those guys ARE superheros, and they look like one, too. (see
Claire for details).

I have a few friends who go to the gym religiously and work out. I
understand the mentality. I work for a small corporation which does

Uh, the key word may be religiously. The religion of sport. It has
sacraments. Mud, rain, blood, lycra, gears, and prayer. Yep, know a teensy
bit about the prayer part, but it's off in the distance in those foothills.

commercial industrial construction. (Public bidding and the Teamsters
and all that good stuff) I run the office and I am assistant to the
owner. My whole life is surrounded by big guys who work construction
every day and go to Golds Gym at night. They work out relentlessly
after working hard all day.

And this is a problem, how? The hard work after working all day is not
hard, it's essential, and it's renewing. This you may find, grasshopper.

You can imagine what they look like. I
will do my thing and let the body builders do their thing. They are
nice eye candy though. Even for this old broad.

You may be broad now, but give it a year of hard cycling. You may surprise
yourself.

OK...I am going riding.....We have a bid going in today for a
municipal building in Glen Rock so I won't be able to annoy you all
today.
Peace and Stuff......

Peace out.

-B

Old October 29th 04, 08:37 PM
Maggie

The DH didn't peel any grapes, but he did massage my quads.
Gingerly.

That makes my old body yearn for a massage. Stop it.