COLORADO BANNING BIG GROUP RIDES FW: FROM BICYCLE COLORADO

Old November 28th 05, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Default COLORADO BANNING BIG GROUP RIDES FW: FROM BICYCLE COLORADO

From: Bicycle Colorado

Thank you for subscribing to Bicycle Colorado's free email
newsletter, made possible by member individuals and businesses. To no
longer receive our emails, click to unsubscribe.

Action Alert from Bicycle Colorado Better Riding...Much Better!
November 22, 2005

Dear Denver,

We need your help to overturn the State Patrol's decision to ban
popular bike rides in Colorado. Please take a minute and follow the
steps below. Together we can overturn this decision and improve safety
for bike events. Thanks!!

BIG BIKE EVENTS BANNED!!

The Colorado State Patrol has just added a policy banning the biggest
bicycle events in Colorado!! Their new policy:

Limits bicycle and triathlon events to 2,500 riders
The limit can be lowered at any time putting every event at risk
Bicycle tours, races, charity rides, group rides, and triathlons are
affected

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Follow these four steps at: www.BicycleColorado.org/to/petition

ADD YOUR NAME: Sign the petition to overturn this damaging policy.
GET OUT THE WORD: Please send this email to other bicyclists. We can
only win this issue with a huge outcry.
USE YOUR VOICE: Send an email/fax/call State Patrol Chief Mark Trostel
asking him to reverse this policy and include bicyclists in discussions
regarding bike events.
STRENGTHEN THE EFFORT: Bicycle Colorado is here to lead this campaign
and protect bicyclists' rights but this campaign is going to require
long hours and extra resources. We need your financial support to
overturn this bike ban.

Take Action Now...

SAFETY HAS NO LIMITS

The State Patrol says that they are using this ban to "ensure
safety." But a random cap does not address safety of bicyclists.
Safety is based on good event planning, educated bicyclists, traffic
management plans, safe roads, and law-abiding motorists. A well-run
event can be safe for 10,000 bicyclists and a poorly-run event can be
unsafe for 100 riders.

The 2,500 cap is subjective and may be changed at any time by the State
Patrol. If tomorrow they decide that 500 is a "safer" number,
amazing rides are at risk like Elephant Rock, Triple Bypass, Ride the
Rockies, MS 150, Iron Horse Classic, Courage Classic, Bicycle Tour of
Colorado, Tour de Cure, Mount Evans Hill Climb, and on and on.

Colorado's largest bicycle event, The Elephant Rock, reports having
only one car-bike crash in nineteen years. This fact strongly questions
bicyclist safety as the reason for this ban. Is this the
bicycle-friendly Colorado you want?

Take Action Now...

BAD POLICY DECISION

Keep in mind that the State Patrol officers are heroes to bicyclists.
They cite unsafe drivers and provide emergency assistance. But this is
a bad policy decision which they need to reverse. Bicyclists, event
promoters, state bicycle planners, businesses, and event sponsors were
excluded from behind-the- scenes meetings on this policy.

TAKE ACTION NOW

We formally asked the State Patrol to reverse their decision and they
declined. Now is the time to act. With the holiday season here, we may
be strapped by a small outcry because people are too busy to act.
Apathy could let this ban stay in place. Take action today and protect
your right to bicycle. Together we can end bike bans and build a
bicycle- friendly Colorado.

Take Action Now...

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN IN COLORADO

Click to Forward This Alert to Friends

Old November 28th 05, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Certainly sounds like a poorly thought out policy!

If the policy isn't rescinded it seems like folks will just have to
plan lots of smaller rides-all leaving from the same place at the same
time. Offer several T-shirts and that is how riders can be allocated
among the various rides ;-)

Old November 28th 05, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

I posted this in

USENET - rec.bicycles.rides
USENET - rec.bicycles.misc
BikeJournal.com
BikeForums.net

Could someone post in the other cycling forums of which I do not take
part?

Old November 28th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Can some CO Lawyer biker determine if the state patrol has the legal
authority do do this?
oups.com...

Old November 28th 05, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

I am sure that Bicycle Colorado, Team Evergreen, Ride the Rockies,
Elephant Rock Century and others are investigating every possibility,
and will be challenging this at all costs. Also, many in the
legislature are pro-bicycling, and legislative action may be another
alternative.

Certainly, the state patrol would not have done this unless they
thought they had the laws on their side.

Old November 28th 05, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

http://www.csp.state.co.us/specevent1.cfm

"Notice to Applicant
An application and permit will be required for any athletic or special
event on state highways that requires any type of road closure,
restriction, or may create a significant impact to the motoring public.

The maximum number of participants for any timed event/bicycle tour or
race will be 2,500.

No application or permit is required for most events that have less
than 50 participants unless the event requires any type of road

Old November 29th 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

From: Bicycle Colorado

[...]

You asked, they declined... Ok,,, time for action. Get a few hundred
cyclists and
sit down on a highway some Friday night around rush hour. Block the
traffic. When the State Patrol shows up, disperse.

Do this a couple of times. Funny, how when rush hour is messed up how the
politicians want to listen.

Old November 29th 05, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

I rode the Triple Bypass (Evergreen, CO to Avon CO) last July along with
3500 other riders. I was deeply impressed by the level of organization
apparent at the event, I enjoyed the food at the aid stations, and the post
ride dinner was excellent. But I found myself wondering if I really needed a
police escort just to ride my bike on roads that I and plenty of others have
ridden before without any problems, over a distance that I and plenty of
others had covered before with no problems. I also wondered how fair it was
to disrupt people's daily lives and divert police resources in all the
communities along the route just so that a bunch of Front Range yuppies
could ride their bikes through town without worrying about stop signs,
traffic lights, and other little details that normal road users are expected
to pay attention to. I had a blast flying through every roundabout in Vail
with the Vail police holding up traffic for me, and so did 3500 other people
that day. But I've cycled through those same roundabouts plenty of times
without a crossing guard to stop traffic for me, and so have plenty of other
people in Vail. Is it really fair to the local residents to bring traffic to
a stop just because I and a bunch of others paid a $100 entry fee to ride
the same roads that people in Vail bicycle on every day without quite so
much noise and fanfare?

I think that limiting the size of large group rides would make it easier for
the Colorado State Patrol and various police agencies in Colorado to
determine how much manpower is needed to support these rides, and would free
up a lot of police manpower for more important things, like getting drunk
drivers, reckless drivers and text messaging teenagers off the roads.
--
mark

Old November 29th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...273507,00.html

Old November 29th 05, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote ...
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...273507,00.html

I read the article and I read the e-mail from Bicycle Colorado. What is your
point in posting this link?
--
mark

Bicycleism Bicycleism Social Issues 1 July 19th 05 01:58 PM
What doctors/researchers think about wearing a helmet. John Doe UK 304 December 5th 04 01:32 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM