Giro points jersey

Old May 26th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

Default Giro points jersey

The way the point are given out at the Giro must be different that the
Tour. It looks very likely, to me, that Rodríguez will win the points
jersey over Cavendish.

Steve G
Old May 27th 12, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_3_]

On 5/26/2012 7:52 AM, steve wrote:
The way the point are given out at the Giro must be different that the
Tour. It looks very likely, to me, that Rodríguez will win the points
jersey over Cavendish.

Steve G

The Giro points jersey only awards points at stage finishes.
It isn't a sprint jersey, it recognizes riders that are
always in the hunt for stage wins.

There are more competitions than I can keep track of. But
the Giro does have a competition consisting of mid-race
sprints. So it's like they have a sprint competition similar
to the Tour's but they separated it into the component parts.

Old May 27th 12, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

On May 26, 8:45*pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
On 5/26/2012 7:52 AM, steve wrote:

The way the point are given out at the Giro must be different that the
Tour. It looks very likely, to me, that Rodríguez will win the points
jersey over Cavendish.

Steve G

The Giro points jersey only awards points at stage finishes.
It isn't a sprint jersey, it recognizes riders that are
always in the hunt for stage wins.

There are more competitions than I can keep track of. But
the Giro does have a competition consisting of mid-race
sprints. So it's like they have a sprint competition similar
to the Tour's but they separated it into the component parts.

I believe that there are intermediate points given at the Giro for the
points Jersey.

Steve G

Old May 28th 12, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 5/27/2012 7:48 AM, steve wrote:
On May 26, 8:45 pm, Bob
wrote:
On 5/26/2012 7:52 AM, steve wrote:

The way the point are given out at the Giro must be different that the
Tour. It looks very likely, to me, that Rodríguez will win the points
jersey over Cavendish.

Steve G

The Giro points jersey only awards points at stage finishes.
It isn't a sprint jersey, it recognizes riders that are
always in the hunt for stage wins.

There are more competitions than I can keep track of. But
the Giro does have a competition consisting of mid-race
sprints. So it's like they have a sprint competition similar
to the Tour's but they separated it into the component parts.

I believe that there are intermediate points given at the Giro for the
points Jersey.

Steve G

Well, looks like Wikipedia knows. And knows the relationship
to the Traguardo Volante (TV) sprints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giro_d...classification

Old May 28th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

On 28/05/2012 15:28, Fred Flintstein wrote:
On 5/27/2012 7:48 AM, steve wrote:
On May 26, 8:45 pm, Bob Schwartz wrote:
The Giro points jersey only awards points at stage finishes.
It isn't a sprint jersey, it recognizes riders that are
always in the hunt for stage wins.

There are more competitions than I can keep track of. But
the Giro does have a competition consisting of mid-race
sprints. So it's like they have a sprint competition similar
to the Tour's but they separated it into the component parts.

I believe that there are intermediate points given at the Giro for the
points Jersey.

Well, looks like Wikipedia knows. And knows the relationship
to the Traguardo Volante (TV) sprints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giro_d...classification

There are rules, man. See 'Regulation' link at the bottom of
http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2012/en/ or directly:
http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Sp...Regulation.pdf
and of course the source in Italian:
http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Sp...egolamento.pdf
Old May 29th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

On May 28, 3:06*pm, "A. Dumas" wrote:
On 28/05/2012 15:28, Fred Flintstein wrote:

On 5/27/2012 7:48 AM, steve wrote:
On May 26, 8:45 pm, Bob Schwartz wrote:
The Giro points jersey only awards points at stage finishes.
It isn't a sprint jersey, it recognizes riders that are
always in the hunt for stage wins.

There are more competitions than I can keep track of. But
the Giro does have a competition consisting of mid-race
sprints. So it's like they have a sprint competition similar
to the Tour's but they separated it into the component parts.

I believe that there are intermediate points given at the Giro for the
points Jersey.

Well, looks like Wikipedia knows. And knows the relationship
to the Traguardo Volante (TV) sprints.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giro_d...classification

There are rules, man. See 'Regulation' link at the bottom ofhttp://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2012/en/or directly:http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Sp...2012/en/Regula...
and of course the source in Italian:http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/Sp...2012/it/Regola...

What is interesting to me is that because of the way the points are
given out in the Giro it is a significantly different competition than
in the Tour. The tour is point jersey is really a sprint jersey while
the Giro is more about consistently placing high. It's probably true
that a great sprinter has the chance to win more stages but as this
year showed it is possible for a non sprinter to win. I haven't added
anything up but I suspect if The Tour de France points were points
jersey were scored this way lance (sorry LANCE) and probably other
champions would have won both Jerseys.

Steve G