Finally shifted the seized seat post.

Old October 8th 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Finally shifted the seized seat post.

had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder on the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Old October 9th 17, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/9/2017 1:37 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 12:56:21 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder on the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

For a seat post, molybdenum base or copper base paste are fine.
The high temp aspect of copper is irrelevant but if that's
the can he has then that's the can he should use.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 9th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 1:08:14 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/9/2017 1:37 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 12:56:21 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder on the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

For a seat post, molybdenum base or copper base paste are fine.
The high temp aspect of copper is irrelevant but if that's
the can he has then that's the can he should use.

It should be aluminum, to give up aluminum to the iron-aluminum reaction.
Old October 10th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Aluminum anti seize with Ddef linseed

Copper is produced for hi temps

There's a difference

AL with linseed is low temp/ longevity

Can you see the copper ?
Old October 10th 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Good alt example...wheel. bearing grease

Auto (copper) bearing grease is higher temp faster Revis than bicycle bearings n does not spread on or before bearings as well as designed for bike grease

As said...you can see the difference

As with copper/Al
Old October 10th 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, October 9, 2017 at 6:32:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Aluminum anti seize with Ddef linseed

Copper is produced for hi temps

There's a difference

AL with linseed is low temp/ longevity

Can you see the copper ?

I can see the cop
Old October 10th 17, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 12:56:21 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder on
the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

Copper based anti-seize paste is what they have on the shelves round here. I
have a tub of something based on a silvery colour metal, but I generally buy
more Copperslip when it gets used up.

molybdenum is a "friction modifier" - I had to do the clamp bolt up
seriously tight with just the copper stuff on it.

Old October 10th 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

had to replace the saddle, so I put a few dabs of flour-emery powder on
the
seat clamp. There was enough grip that I could get hold of the saddle and
twist the post out.

Now re assembled with copper slip anti seize compound.

Nice! But copper?

Copper based anti-seize paste is what they have on the shelves round here.. I
have a tub of something based on a silvery colour metal, but I generally buy
more Copperslip when it gets used up.

molybdenum is a "friction modifier" - I had to do the clamp bolt up
seriously tight with just the copper stuff on it.

This reply does not address the validity - or lack thereof - of the alleged theory of operation of anti-sieze compounds, which says that the metal used therein should match the metal which is having a corrosion problem, so as to be taken up by the reaction and thus spare or partially spare the coated part.
Old October 10th 17, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

[...]

Translation please...................

Cleaning inside of seat tube after removing seized seatpost Earl Grey Techniques 16 May 7th 09 09:00 AM
Seized Seat Post BeeRich Techniques 14 November 19th 08 03:40 AM
uncycle rail seat post vs bike seat post onewheelmadness Unicycling 1 January 17th 08 11:11 PM
Seat Post Slipping - Seat Post Clamp Question [email protected] Techniques 14 April 23rd 05 01:05 AM
Seized seat post clamp: advice? Simon Brooke UK 8 April 14th 04 01:28 AM