Milano-Sanremo

Old March 19th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Milano-Sanremo

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

"Is there any content relevant to RBR here?"

You are correct of course Mike. My apologies.

By the way, next time you're in DC, I *highly* recommend the "DC By
Foot" walking tour. Taught by a retired high school history teacher, who
has all the backstory to the various monuments and teaches you a lot
about our founding fathers (basically up to Lincoln) that you might not
have learned in school. Very good stuff and reminds you that history can
be a lot of fun.

Oh, this guy does the tours entirely for tips. Seriously. You don't pay
if you don't want to. But you'll want to.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 19th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

(*Required Disclosure- That's 43mph in either a wind-aided or downhill
sprint. On the flats, I could probably do with a 50/13. Amazing how many
of my customers think they can't go any faster than 20mph because they
don't have a high-enough gear, and it's 52/12 or so).

I found it interesting that when I first started racing I rode in a 53-12
most of the time. After the first year I don't think I ever got higher than
a 53-14 and was normally in a 53-15 in the fastest races.

Old March 19th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message

(*Required Disclosure- That's 43mph in either a wind-aided or
downhill sprint. On the flats, I could probably do with a 50/13.
Amazing how many of my customers think they can't go any faster than
20mph because they don't have a high-enough gear, and it's 52/12 or
so).

I found it interesting that when I first started racing I rode in a
53-12 most of the time. After the first year I don't think I ever got
higher than a 53-14 and was normally in a 53-15 in the fastest races.

As a junior, the gear restriction (at that time) was 84.9 inches, so we
were running 48/15. Which was fine except that they'd designate some
races as special events (Olympic Development series or something like
that) and allow anything. So I show up at the Patterson Pass Road Race
(basically what's now known as Corral Hollow but in reverse) with my
48/15 and find out it's unrestricted. The finish was downhill with a
tailwind. Rod Jewitt, local trackie extraordinaire, pushed a 53/13 to
great advantage that day. I might as well have been trying to draft the
Cinzano truck. Realistically, Rod shouldn't have been there in the first
place. There's no frakkin way a stout trackie should have been able to
stay with us on the climbs. We (the climbers) just got lazy that day.

I seem to miss racing more and more as I get further away from it. Don't
know why; I've already got one titanium screw in my hand. Don't really
want to add to the collection.

Old March 20th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Mar 19, 3:15*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"Susan Walker" wrote in message

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Susan Walker" wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
at 53,
Do you have an 11-year old? That would be awesome.

OK, I'll admit I don't get it.

The only important gear combination to remember: 53x11.

DOH!

The irony is that I run a 50-12 and people assume I have an 11 back
there. Don't need it; I can still get to about 43mph in a sprint* with
50/12, and for descending, you can generally go faster if you tuck in
than pedal at that speed. Now, if I was drafting a Cinzano truck...

(*Required Disclosure- That's 43mph in either a wind-aided or downhill
sprint. On the flats, I could probably do with a 50/13. Amazing how many
of my customers think they can't go any faster than 20mph because they
don't have a high-enough gear, and it's 52/12 or so).

This is going to date me, but I have to do it:
"52 tooth chainrings just don't cut it... " -John Howard 1974

-Paul
Old March 20th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Susan Walker" wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

Now all we need is for someone to quote Sundown Slim. Or even remember
who he was.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 20th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

On Mar 18, 10:47*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
*Donald Munro wrote:

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
Milk shoots out of my nose hearing cheezeheads talk about 37yo GT
riders.

LIVEDRUNK would no doubt be shocked to hear the results of a rbr
milk drinking survey.

It better be fortified, and I don't mean vitamin K.

Donald Munro wrote:

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
Milk shoots out of my nose hearing cheezeheads talk about 37yo GT
riders.

LIVEDRUNK would no doubt be shocked to hear the results of a rbr
milk drinking survey.

It better be fortified, and I don't mean vitamin K.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...s&aq=0&oq=milk
%2C+alc

LIVEDRUNK Prez,

Could you confirm that cheap vodka is a giffen good? Marajuana and
heroin too, if you happen to know.

Ha ha. Boutique vodka is as clear an example of a Veblen good as you'll
ever see, but cheap vodka and marijuana are such easy substitutes for
_each other_ that neither is likely to act as a Giffen good. Indeed, the
real problem with finding a real-world Giffen good is finding one where
there are no easy substitutes. That may be impossible except in
extraordinarily distorted markets (and yes, I admit that this opens me
to the challenge that I would define any market with a Giffen good as
extraordinarily distorted).

Heroin (and crack?) may have some Giffen character because of the
addiction effects, but aside from the fact that lots of opiates
substitute for each other, economcially and physiologically speaking, I
think that if heroin had a serious Giffen element to it, it would turn
into a death-spiral into overdose very quickly.

Full disclosu no personal experience with pot or heroin, so maybe I
just don't know the economics of the market.

Old March 20th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Susan Walker wrote:

Paul G. wrote:
Moloko-plus pre-dates LIVEDRUNK by decades...

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete,
Georgie and Dim and we sat in the Korova milkbar trying to make up our
rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova Milk Bar sold
milkplus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom which is what
we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a
bit of the old ultra-violence. "

Here's Alex's retarded little brother:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/rbr/alex.jpg

If I ever revive the LIVEDRUNK jersey project (sorry...) I nominate
Korova Milk Bar as a sponsor.

Old March 20th 09, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

*Donald Munro wrote:

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
[...]

I don't get why any of the addictive drugs would be
a Giffen good. Why would an increase in price w/o
any other changes result in greater demand? This is
known to not be the case for cigarettes - if cigarettes
get more expensive, even addicts smoke less.

One could argue that cheap vodka, which comes in grades
more transparently labeled then pot or heroin, would be
a Giffen good because if all vodka gets more expensive,
people will switch to the cheap stuff, increasing demand
for it. This fails the definition because you required that
_all_ vodka get more expensive in order to increase the
demand for only the cheap stuff.

I have an anecdotal example of a Giffen good, sort of.
In Northern California a bit after the last tech crash, say
2001-2002, demand for extremely high-priced real estate fell.
However, the entire market did not go down - the median
house price roughly continued to increase. I had a friend
looking for a house at the time (he couldn't afford one
in Santa Cruz and still can't, even with Greg paying for
his rides). His realtor explained that because people
were toning down their expectations, the market was
compressing - the price of fancy houses dropped, but
with more people looking for inexpensive houses, the
price of cheap houses actually increased.

So that's my example, a bit different than the vodka example.
When cheap houses get more expensive, the demand
for the cheapest houses increases. Let me know when
they send the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics award
postcard so I know to look for it. Wouldn't want
to confuse it with all the crackpot letters I get from
engineering professors.

Ben
Old March 20th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

"Jim Feeley" wrote in message
On 3/19/09 10:15 AM, in article
,

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
at 53,

Do you have an 11-year old? That would be awesome.

OK, I'll admit I don't get it. Maybe it's because I'm totally wasted
from this morning's training ride (why is it a training ride if I
don't
race anymore? What am I training for?).

Honey-roasted peanuts, as you pointed out in your previous message...

Jim

Which reminds me, Carlton Reid of bikebiz (Brittish bike website) said
the upcoming Simpson's episode has lycra and road bike content. Don't
know why honey-roasted peanuts reminds me of that... :)

I used to think I could eat because I ride. Donut King in Redwood City.
Fantastic donuts. On my ride days, I figured I'd earned a couple (ok, a
few). And my weight gradually crept up year by year by year.

Had to eliminate ice cream entirely (absolutely no self control over how
much) and switch to rabbit food for lunch (salads). And cut back donuts
almost but not quite entirely. It's no fair that your metabolism becomes
more efficient (sounds better than "slows down", doesn't it?) as you get
older.

I never sit still. Always moving, flexing; get up, go get something,
sit down. Never stop. Exactly the same weight as high school graduation.

--
Michael Press