CAVEDICK

Old March 22nd 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Default CAVEDICK

critposer wrote:

On Mar 21, 2:56*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Bret wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:48*am, Donald Munro wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://velonews.com/article/89477/ca...-wins-san-remo

Milan-San Remo is just a really long crit.

Imagine running it in an industrial park.

We used to do that here in CO and I mentioned it 14 years ago:

http://tinyurl.com/cxws5p

No one responded to that post here, but I sure heard about from the
team I mentioned.

Bret

That must have been back when Kiefel was on his second of 4 wives.

More hate from the hate-meister.

How does saying that Kiefel was married 4 times by the time he was 45 equate
to hated? I think it equates to fact. You apparently believe stating
facts equates to hate. You are a fact hater.

Take that.

Magilla

Old March 22nd 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:53:28 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:48:17 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

http://velonews.com/article/89477/ca...-wins-san-remo

Milan-San Remo is just a really long crit.

Imagine running it in an industrial park.

Yeah.

I did 100-lap crit once (actually on a pretty course in a small town)
and it was mind-destroying to look up and see 80 laps to go.

Never race track. Of course, on our local track 100 laps is a mere 20 km
race. The Olympic points race is 40 km; that's 120-160 laps on Olympic
tracks.

Seems like they made a change from distance to time-based crits some
years ago. 80 laps to go does sound a lot worse than two hours. Maybe. I
certainly preferred a 4 hour road race to a 2 hour crit.

The hundred lapper I meant was only 40 miles, with four turns. That's
a lot of jumps.

I like 50 mile crits on big courses way more than the 18 or 20 miles
races that are too typical for me nowadays. Only did one 100K crit
in my life, I think, which would have been OK except it was almost 90F
and I only had two bottles. Ouch.

First 50 mile crit I did had Lance Armstrong in it and he cracked and
quit. I was off the front for a few laps and actually finished the
thing. Yay for me.

You should totally be making more of that.

My race today was a spring-training road race: 55 km. I think I have
finished one or two 100+ km races.

Old March 22nd 09, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

[...]

One of my toughest races was a 100k crit in Cupertino. It was in late
August, and I had pretty much finished my racing for the season. I was
Cat-2 (first year post-junior) which at the time carried no distinction
from Cat-1 since there were no separate Cat-1 races. I rode from home
(Redwood City) down to Cupertino to watch the race. I hated crits at the
time (thought I was a climber) but figured it would be fun to watch (it
was a Cat-1/Pro semi-invitational). I'm still fuzzy on the details, but
the promoter spotted me and said I ought to ride it. ??? And more ??? as
for why I did.

100k crit. Fast, flat, about .8 miles/lap, quite a few corners in a
semi-industrial area so you couldn't see much ahead or behind. I knew
*everybody*, I knew which moves to cover, exactly where to ride. I had
*no* idea we were shelling people off the back. About a third of the way
through we're in a breakaway, pushing the pace hard, everybody working
together because the pack is just behind us. People cheering us on, and
I'm at the limit, corner after corner, doing my part, half-hoping we'd
get caught to put myself out of my misery but two-thirds or more wanting
to stay away (yeah, I know, doesn't add up).

There's seven of us in the break, and the laps keep counting down. It's
hot (probably 90+) and I don't recall if I had one bottle or two. My
guess is that I arrived with one but probably snagged a second bottle
there. I way just plain gone, mentally, physically, but just kept doing
what the body knew how to do, pedal a bicycle (fast at the time).

We were never caught. I came across the line 7th out of the 7 in the
break. Apparently there was really nothing left of a chase group past
the halfway point, but we didn't know that. I was so wasted they helped
me to the medical tent where they forced me to lie down and checked me
out and made sure I started drinking again. My girlfriend was there but
I didn't recognize her at first. I went home on the train and caught
flak from my dad who had to pick me up at the station (it was the only
time I recall a severe disconnect between my father and I as far as bike
stuff went; I was pretty pleased with what I'd done and gee, even got a
pair of Campy High Flange Nuovo Record hubs out of the deal!).

That was possibly my most-memorable race, or at least way up there. But
my youngest brother has made sure that it's not what I'm best-known for.
I made the *severe* mistake of telling him, jokingly, that I'd beaten
Greg LeMond in a race. And it's true, I did. But I was a Junior and Greg
had somehow gotten in even though he was an Intermediate. The Tassajara
Road Race. Anyway, when youngest brother (Tom) was working at the bike
shop in our early days, he made it a point to tell EVERYONE that I had
"beaten" Greg LeMond. So I guess that's my equivalent to your "Lance"
story.

Not hard to tell I really miss racing.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 22nd 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 00:16:23 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

There's seven of us in the break, and the laps keep counting down. It's
hot (probably 90+) and I don't recall if I had one bottle or two. My
guess is that I arrived with one but probably snagged a second bottle
there. I way just plain gone, mentally, physically, but just kept doing
what the body knew how to do, pedal a bicycle (fast at the time).

We were never caught. I came across the line 7th out of the 7 in the
break.

Sweet.

[...]

No, I was just pack fill at the end and got something like 40th. And
was never at the front, just in a chase group off the front for few
laps behind the break.
Old March 22nd 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Mar 21, 1:38*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://velonews.com/article/89477/ca...-wins-san-remo

Milan-San Remo is just a really long crit.

dumbass,

it's a 15 km race. probably next year they'll just start it on the
highway after the cipressa.
Old March 22nd 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
critposer

On Mar 21, 6:29*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

How does saying that Kiefel was married 4 times by the time he was 45 equate
to hated? *

Stop whining when someone calls out what you do every time another
pro's name is mentioned. You're not stupid by a long shot, do you
really need it explained to you? Do you think nobody is getting your
act?
Old March 22nd 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

critposer wrote:

On Mar 21, 6:29*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:

How does saying that Kiefel was married 4 times by the time he was 45 equate
to hated? *

Stop whining when someone calls out what you do every time another
pro's name is mentioned. You're not stupid by a long shot, do you
really need it explained to you? Do you think nobody is getting your
act?

I don't really have any comeback for this kind of a post other than to say that
you go faster on the straightaway than you do on a turn in a velodrome.

Magilla

Old March 24th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

MagillaGorilla wrote:
http://velonews.com/article/89477/ca...-wins-san-remo

Milan-San Remo is just a really long crit.

Imagine running it in an industrial park.

We used to do that here in CO and I mentioned it 14 years ago:

http://tinyurl.com/cxws5p

No one responded to that post here, but I sure heard about from the
team I mentioned.

Bret

Kudos. I'd settle for people who can remember what they posted last
year.
-Paul
Old March 24th 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

Paul G. wrote:
Kudos. I'd settle for people who can remember what they posted last year.

Us bots have long term persistent storage except when a memory leak occurs,
which is a frequent occurrence with SchwartzSoft products. They claim its
intentional and part of a non-genetic algorithm software evolution pattern.