Do we need Big Brother to make the Insterstate Bike System?

Old March 24th 09, 04:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Do we need Big Brother to make the Insterstate Bike System?

Well, he promoted the Insterstate Highway System, which was so
successful that now it can't accomodate all the cars that want to use
it.

Whenever I raise the issue of BIKE LANES in particular and BIKE
FACILITIES in general, though, I get the same answer: "It's up to the
local governments to make them." And sure enough, new bike lanes are
popping up here and there, but they are broken, not connected as to
make them useless.

What would be of the American driver if he had to go from Miami to New
York on the back streets? I'm expecting Big Brother not only to read
my computer, but also to accommodate my bike.

Hey, Mr. President, we want the Insterstate Bike System, though the
name is negotiable...

A jungle perspective on nonviolence: a violent struggle by the weak
against the predator needs secrecy, nonviolent struggle though has
been used by the monkeys for ages: MAKING NOISE.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old March 24th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 24, 9:10*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
[...]

Not all cyclists are fans of Bike Lanes and Bike Paths...

Jon Isaacs
Old March 24th 09, 05:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Mike Jacoubowsky

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
[...]

Have you checked the League of American Bicyclists activities in DC? A
lot *is* going on at the Federal level. Probably the most significant is
the Complete Streets initiative, that is working to coordinate all State
DOTs (Department of Transportation) to provide for cyclists and
pedestrians by default, rather than exception. State and local
governments are getting on board; in Redwood City, our City Council
recently authorized a Complete Streets committee with the idea that all
road projects, as they come up, will be required to take note of the
needs of pedestrians and cyclists and plan accordingly. Sometimes we're
talking about stuff that costs near zero dollars, such as re-striping a
roadway after it's been paved. Middlefield and Industrial (in Redwood
City, California) are examples where this has been done.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old March 24th 09, 06:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
A jungle perspective on nonviolence: a violent struggle by the weak
against the predator needs secrecy, nonviolent struggle though has
been used by the monkeys for ages: MAKING NOISE.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Not all cyclists are fans of Bike Lanes and Bike Paths...

Jon Isaacs- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps they are only an insignificant minority of the 0.4 % of
Americans that commute by bike. That's a minority within a minority,
or next to nothing.

And who says you MUST ride the bike lanes?
Old March 24th 09, 06:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Mar 24, 1:22*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
[...]

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide quoted text -

At this rate the whole country may be connected in 100 years, but
since we don't have that much time to avert global warming, it's
totally irrelevant.

Not even Miami to Fort Lauderdale is connected let alone New York.
Old March 24th 09, 06:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Originally Posted by cooker
"I'm in favour of both separate bike facilities, and ongoing access to
roads. I hope I don't have to choose just one or the other."

I'm in favor of multiple solutions, ie. BIKE LANES (where it's
cheaper) for average riders, BIKE PATHS (where it can be afforded) for
beginners and relaxation, and the WHOLE WIDE ROAD for those daring
enough and fast enough to deal with traffic.

I'm riding one of those bike paths recently built and I wonder where
that crowd of people was 1 year ago. They must have been home watching
TV.

Old March 24th 09, 06:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

(my answer at bottom)

Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- \
Either make people think and act with tolerance and consideration of
other people
or build roadway paths where people who would be considered
'vulnerable users' will be safe.
Somehow, I think the lanes will happen before the tedious thinking
type stuff

Its ironic the steps the gov takes to keep good , wholesome and worthy
people
safe, what with demonizing of ciggies, forcing seat belts and airbags
in cars, terror
searches at airports,etc, but bicyclers get "yer on yer own, haters of
the Merikkan way.
Please fill out your organ donor card on the way out."

***

And they don't do either one. Neither do they tame traffic nor do they
build bike facilities.

Road terrorists are free to do as they please.

Old March 24th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I certainly avoid riding in Bike Lanes when they place me at an added
risk. Around here there are Bike Lanes that position riders to the
right of right turning traffic, sometimes legal turns, sometimes
illegal turns. But it matters not, one never wants to be to the right
of right turning traffic. When there is a Bike Lane present, the
expectation is that a cyclist should be riding in the Bike Lane and
further that the Bike Lane is the safe place to be... not good
because it places non-thinking cyclists at risk.

What I would rather see is a comprehensive education program, in the
media, in the schools, in the Highway Patrol Offices, in the DMVs
across the nation that would teach motorists and cyclists alike that
Bicycles Belong and that the safest way to operate a bicycle is as one
operates any other vehicle.

So, I suggest that there are many reasons people do not commute by
bicycle, even when conditions are near perfect as they are here in San
Diego, there are many practical reasons people just don't commute on a
bike. But one reason is that they are afraid and intimidated by
traffic. The reality is that one can never engineer away
intersections and interactions between cyclists and motorists, the
best way to overcome fear is through educating and training, teaching
people how to ride properly and safely.

Jon Isaacs

Old March 24th 09, 06:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, the state of Oregon, for one. North Dakota, for another. There
are many others.

If someone is going to lobby hard for bike lanes and bike paths, they
should lobby for the pre-condition that their use _never_ be
mandatory.

But I doubt the paint-n-path folks will be smart enough to do that.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 24th 09, 07:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------**-----
A jungle perspective on nonviolence: a violent struggle by the weak
against the predator needs secrecy, nonviolent struggle though has
been used by the monkeys for ages: MAKING NOISE.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Not all cyclists are fans of Bike Lanes and Bike Paths...

Jon Isaacs- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps they are only an insignificant minority of the 0.4 % of
Americans that commute by bike. That's a minority within a minority,
or next to nothing.

And who says you MUST ride the bike lanes?

I certainly avoid riding in Bike Lanes when they place me at an added
risk. *

If they are stupid in design, why follow stupidity?

Here there are some causeways with bridges that mandate you to WALK
your bike across on sidewalk, where you barely fit yourself! That's
STUPIDITY that can get you killed. Of course, no bike lanes, so
stupidity can go with them or without them.

Around here there are Bike Lanes that position riders to the
right of right turning traffic, sometimes legal turns, sometimes
illegal turns. *But it matters not, one never wants to be to the right
of right turning traffic. When there is a Bike Lane present, the
expectation is that a cyclist should be riding in the Bike Lane and
further that the Bike Lane is the safe place to be... *not good
because it places non-thinking cyclists at risk.

Where there are NO bike lanes the expectation of many drivers is that
you shouldn't be there.

What I would rather see is a comprehensive education program, in the
media, in the schools, in the Highway Patrol Offices, in the DMVs
across the nation that would teach motorists and cyclists alike that
Bicycles Belong and that the safest way to operate a bicycle is as one
operates any other vehicle.

Sure, first we have to tame traffic and ain't happening in America.
Maybe a good idea in Denmark where no bike lanes are available, but
they have already built quite a few.

Here they haven't even learned the fast traffic keeps to the left
lane, so you get these speed demons passing you within inches. Kind of
scary, I'd say.

So, I suggest that there are many reasons people do not commute by
bicycle, even when conditions are near perfect as they are here in San
Diego, there are many practical reasons people just don't commute on a
bike. *But one reason is that they are afraid and intimidated by
traffic. *The reality is that one can never engineer away
intersections and interactions between cyclists and motorists, the
best way to overcome fear is through educating and training, teaching
people how to ride properly and safely.

Jon Isaacs- Hide quoted text -

It's a good idea when you tame traffic. But you would to MANDATE LOWER
SPEEDS in conflict lanes to, say, 20mph, while allowing for higher
speeds on the left lanes. And then you'd have to ENFORCE IT, not with
policemen with speed guns trying to fix the city's budget, but with
SPEED CAMERAS.

Putting The Brakes On Bike Thieves: System Alerts Security If SomeoneTakes Your Bike Dokorek Mountain Biking 0 November 23rd 08 01:55 PM
Big Brother soup UK 19 July 18th 05 08:50 PM
Los Angeles subway system allows bike in any time [email protected] General 0 March 30th 05 06:44 AM
CELLO: The Bike Case/Travel System for BOB Trailers Wandertec Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 02:00 AM