Wheel build

Old September 2nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Lorenzini

Default Wheel build

I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob
Old September 3rd 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Bennett

Robert Lorenzini wrote:

I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob

Make you look better?

Carbon fiber, visible weave, large hot pink logos. As few spokes as
possible.

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Robert Lorenzini wrote:
I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Better than choady wannabe-racer gear? For a start, you could try,
umm, well... anything else. Maybe ask Ron Hardin if he has any old
leftover Huffy wheels with frozen spokes, for instance. Or cruise the
local alleys on trash day to see if someone has thrown out some wheels
that are more tasteful that what you've got.

If you are looking to throw some good money after bad, there are lots
of options. Here are just a few examples of things that would be a
big improvement over what you have been using:

http://www.insanesoundsandcustoms.co..._144_spoke.jpg
http://www.quickspeed.us/home.php?cat=60
http://www.singletrackworld.com/mod/...ges/1260-5.jpg
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ogkmag.jpg

Chalo

Old September 3rd 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kenny

On Sep 3, 6:52 am, Robert Lorenzini wrote:
I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob

Since money doesn't seem to be a concern of yours, try rebuilding with
Zipp rims.

Old September 3rd 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Lorenzini

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 16:09:58 -0700, Ted Bennett wrote:

Carbon fiber, visible weave, large hot pink logos. As few spokes as
possible.

Well I mentioned that they were DA hubs so the spoke count is set
at 16/20. Pink is not my favorite culer.

Bob
Old September 3rd 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Lorenzini

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 00:00:20 -0000, Chalo wrote:
Robert Lorenzini wrote:
[...]

Damn, I just had this premonition that someone would mention
Huffy. I will check out those links, thanks.

Bob
Old September 3rd 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Lorenzini

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:02:16 -0700, Kenny wrote:
On Sep 3, 6:52 am, Robert Lorenzini wrote:
I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob

Since money doesn't seem to be a concern of yours, try rebuilding with
Zipp rims.

I will take that into consideration. Thanks

Bob
Old September 3rd 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 2, 4:52 pm, Robert Lorenzini wrote:
I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob

Any wheel w/o cracked rims will make you look better than the guy
stranded on the side of the road. Warranty these things, ebay them and
have a good wheelbuilder make you a set of wheels that won't 'crack
rims'. If ya gotta look good, use colored rims from Velocity-

Old September 3rd 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 3, 8:00 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
On Sep 2, 4:52 pm, Robert Lorenzini wrote:

I have a extra pair of DA 7801's with cracked rims and I
was wondering if I should just get them fixed under
warranty or build them with a different rim, clincher
or sewup. Just looking for opinions on what rims other
than DA will make me look better.

Bob

Any wheel w/o cracked rims will make you look better than the guy
stranded on the side of the road. Warranty these things, ebay them and
have a good wheelbuilder make you a set of wheels that won't 'crack
rims'. If ya gotta look good, use colored rims from Velocity-

What's so bad about cracked spoke holes in a rim? I mean, sure, a
crack means the wheel has failed. But the way I look at it, that's a
pretty benign failure mode. What if rims *never* cracked, then what's
the next failure mode? Blown out sidewalls? That seems more dangerous
than spoke hole cracks.

Isn't mileage to failure perhaps a more meaningful measure of a
wheel's durability than what the failure mode is?