VDB: Don't Call it a Comeback, He's Been Here For Years....

Old April 5th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default VDB: Don't Call it a Comeback, He's Been Here For Years....

Finally a comeback worth talking about - Chad Gerlach getting off the
crack pipe and back on the bike was interesting - but now VDB is fit
and winning bike races again!
VDB is a GOD. The greatest cycling ever. If they had let him stay
hooked on coke and doping his blood properly, he'd be on a real team
and winning flanders this weekend...but nooooo....he's on a kermesse
team doing tiny semi-pro french stage races and I have to watch
mediocre americans on secret undetectable drug cocktails dominate
emasculated and terrified Europeans instead of the witnessing the
awesome explosive panache of VDB.
- remember him dropping Bartoli in LBL, when was the last time
something that cool has happened in a bike race?
Cycling has been a lame spectator sport ever since VDB left - the
elegance is gone: pudgy and/or bald and/or ironically mustached
americans are dominating the sport I once loved and it is making it
sucky and predictable like american football. Helmets suck too, makes
the sport look ridiculous (hairnets are acceptable, but helmets? Bunch
of Erkels in spandex).
I mean really, how much panache does Landis, Leipheimer, Zabriskie, or
Armstrong have? Zero panache, that is how much. They have no style.
With all due respect - Landis looks like a super angry charlie brown
baby with downs syndrome. His TDF win was silly and ridiculous BEFORE
he was busted.

I am glad VDB is back and winning, he is an inspiration to all of us.
No matter how much drugs you take, how many sports cars you smash, no
matter how many common-law wives you dump and how many Italian super-
models you then marry and then domestically abuse, no matter how many
small Belgian teams you sign for and then race for 6 weeks and then
disappear, no matter how depressed you become, suicidal even - you can
overcome your demons.
Why is there no VDB foundation or wristbands?

Old April 5th 09, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

wrote:
VDB is a GOD.

What? Please! VDB is God.
Old April 5th 09, 09:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

wrote:
VDB is a GOD.

Susan Walker wrote:
What? Please! VDB is God.

He does seem to have disciples.

Old April 6th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sluggo

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Donald Munro" wrote in message
VDB is a GOD.

Susan Walker wrote:
What? Please! VDB is God.

He does seem to have disciples.

Y Disciples
N Discipline

1 out of 2. Pretty common, actually, and the end result is pretty much
the same whichever you have vs that which you don't. Lots of unmet
expectation.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Found on the web...
"In 2006 Frank entered amateur races in Italy "undercover".

He used a license with an Italianized version of his name "Francesco del
Ponte" and a picture of Tom Boonen.

Supposedly in the races he would go to the front ride everyone off his
wheel and then when he was all alone, head off the course and ride home.

The man so PRO it's insane. Literally."
Old April 6th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Susan Walker wrote:
What? Please! VDB is God.
He does seem to have disciples.

Y Disciples
N Discipline

1 out of 2. Pretty common, actually, and the end result is pretty much
the same whichever you have vs that which you don't. Lots of unmet
expectation.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Found on the web...
"In 2006 Frank entered amateur races in Italy "undercover".

He used a license with an Italianized version of his name "Francesco del
Ponte" and a picture of Tom Boonen.

Supposedly in the races he would go to the front ride everyone off his
wheel and then when he was all alone, head off the course and ride home.

The man so PRO it's insane. Literally."

I love it. I think this is the sort of nonsense a lot of amateurs
imagine they would pull if they had a pro-sized motor. Glad to see that
at least a few pros like racing enough to have fun.

Also, the vision of the 1/2 pack chasing...chasing...chasing to the line
without respite is pretty hilarious. This must have been in a Gran Fondo
or some similar event, right?

URL?

Old April 6th 09, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
sluggo wrote:
[...]
The man so PRO it's insane. Literally."

[...]
URL?

Google the phrase. It's the Belgium [sic] Knee Warmers blog.
Old April 6th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sluggo

Susan Walker wrote:
[...]

The story reminds me of a local Vancouverite, only his story is more
crazy, less talent. I can't remember all of the details although I do
remember who it pertains to. Essentially what used to happen is that
this guy would jump in races that he couldn't afford to enter, or
something like that. I don't recall if he was winning the races or not,
but I believe he was pretty strong.

LA's comeback [email protected] Racing 0 September 26th 08 03:53 AM
VDB comeback v10.2 Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 08 09:15 AM
Conference Call with Dick Pound Call 1-800-670-3547 Joe King Racing 0 September 14th 06 10:54 AM
Don't call it a comeback Luigi de Guzman General 10 November 3rd 05 12:38 PM
Comeback of the Century!!! Steady Rollin' Man Racing 4 May 28th 05 02:55 AM