Busted Carbon Website

Old June 19th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

Default Busted Carbon Website

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy
Old June 19th 09, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

oh, wait, did i ask the wrong question?
Old June 19th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 18, 11:18*pm, jim beam wrote:
RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

jim's right. Metal parts do sometimes break. For example, I suffered
a sudden, catastrophic fork failure on my custom tandem.

Of course, it turns out the builder had, without telling me, used fork
blades with wall thickness about 1/3 that of tandem gage blades.

And the forks still lasted 29 years before failing.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 19th 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,

RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted
steel" or "busted ti" websites?

jim's right.

And forgetful, since these have been posted before many times:

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/

Old June 19th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

jim beam wrote:
RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

oh, wait, did i ask the wrong question?

Whats wrong with this one? It appears intact!

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-031.html
Old June 19th 09, 08:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Not sure why the site has "bustedcarbon" in the title. Should be
"Lifesuckssometimes.com"

For the most part, the site is not an indictment against carbon fiber,
or any other material. The only repeating theme (of possibly unexpected
carbon failure) seems to be handlebars.

But clearly some bikes just aren't as tough as they should be. I
especially likes this one-

"Amazingly the rider is ok. Descending a steep windy grade and the truck
had crossed the centerline."

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 19th 09, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:18:44 -0700, jim beam wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

oh, wait, did i ask the wrong question?

It all breaks sooner or later and in one way or another.
Old June 19th 09, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tosspot wrote:

jim beam wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

oh, wait, did i ask the wrong question?

Whats wrong with this one? *It appears intact!

* * * *http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-031.html

Pardo recently added one of my own failed wheels to his site:

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-103.html

There will be more pictures soon.

With five torn-out spoke holes, that wheel wasn't even rubbing the
cantilever brakes. I rode it home. I couldn't have done that with a
low-spoke-count wheel that had broken a single spoke. A plastic wheel
like the R-SYS or RevX? I don't even want to contemplate it.

Chalo
Old June 19th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

RonSonic wrote:
Just the stuff we like around here, pictures of broke bike bits.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

Enjoy

hey, where's the fair and balanced "busted aluminum" or "busted steel"
or "busted ti" websites?

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

oh, wait, did i ask the wrong question?

It all breaks sooner or later and in one way or another.

but stainless steel spokes can be made fatigue proof i tell you! mutter
the incantation, squeeze the buttocks of two virgins and sacrifice your
firstborn chicken, and shazam! miracle spokes that defy all hitherto
metallurgical research and bending mechanics! thus spake the
all-knowing, great and mighty stanford "engineer" who had done his
homework and knew his business. or not.
Old June 19th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,