Shifter cables 1.1mm vs 1.2mm

Old March 11th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Shifter cables 1.1mm vs 1.2mm

On 3/10/2017 8:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2017 5:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and
about to buy
a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of
my bikes are
campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but
unsure which
diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what
models or just get
the 1.2mm and call it a day.

Do not- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - DO
NOT install
not-Campagnolo wires into your Ergo shifters[1].

The gear wire heads of the classic era were small, as
Campagnolo uses
still. The revisionist modern larger gear wire heads
(everybody else who
makes gear systems) will go in, pop down inside the lever
and only come
out with extreme effort = time = $$$.

Lack of standardization on such simple things often astounds
me. It shouldn't, because it's so common. But it still
astounds me.

Mr Brown often quipped, "Standards are wonderful, so we have
a lot of them".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 11th 17, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Two gear wire heads - quelle horreur!

http://www.traveloasis.com/World-Pow...ter-Guide-c18/

Old March 11th 17, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Regarding electric plugs, I can see how each nation was tinkering around
independently in the early 1900s when there was less travel and many
fewer electric appliances and users. Standardization was a fresh idea
and not so popular. I can see that by the time someone smacked their
forehead and said "Damn, we should have all used the same system!" that
it was too late; the investments were made.

But for another example: I worked with industrial robots. Those
generally come with no end-of-arm tooling, because a major point of
robots is they can be used for such a wide variety of jobs (welding,
material handling, painting, etc. etc.) So they come with a round
flange on the "wrist" with a circle of bolt holes. You bolt the gripper
(or whatever) to that wrist.

One "True or False" question I commonly put on the exam was "The ANSI
standard wrist makes it easy to attach most grippers." False. There is
no ANSI standard wrist (or at least, there wasn't when I retired). Each
manufacturer comes up with their own wrist diameter, boss diameter,
number of tapped holes, etc. By the time this industry came into being,
everyone knew the benefits of standardization. Why make every company
machine its own adaptors?

And gear cable heads? Why say "Ours are going to be 0.1mm different"?
Do they really make that much profit by forcing people to buy their own
brand's special cables?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 11th 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 2:04:12 PM UTC-8, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get the 1.2mm and call it a day.

I don't get what everyone is talking about Ixix = there are two different cable diameters because shifters use the smaller and brakes the larger. As Al pointed out the end caps on Campagnolo are different from those on everyone else but Campy will work properly on everyone else. Though in older brifters it's possible to stick the smaller Campy ends though usually it isn't any problem to free them.

The BRAKE cable ends are two different sizes for road bike brifters and mountain bike levers.

So there are TWO different diameters of outer cables as well.

The newer levers from Campy and Shimano are very similar cable-wise. but Campy is easy to thread and Shimano decided to make them the hard SOB's possible where you have to pull off doors etc. and then remember to reinstall them.

Modern carbon fiber integrated handlebars/stems often have the outer cables threaded through tubes. And frames also often have the rear brake cable threaded through the top tube. Setting the outer cables up properly the first time is a great pain in the ass on these. Though once installed they are neater and cleaner. Cyclocross bikes often use a top pull front derailleur so you may have a second cable to contend with on the top tube.

There are also cheap inner cables made of steel and higher prices made out of stainless with almost an infinite lifespan. Some of the steel cables have a teflon coating so that even if they rust a small amount they still pull OK.

I prefer buying the top grade Shimano or Campagnolo cables for the specific purposes.
Old March 11th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/11/2017 4:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

You suffered serious injury from carbon fork failure and yet
you ride carbon bars with cable ports???

Old March 13th 17, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

My original question is not of the cable head. FYI i have been using cables of non ergo shifters for decades and all i do is i Drexel them and checke the size before i insert int the shifters with zero issues

And yes i realize the brakes are larger in fact 1.6mm or more.

My question is shifter cables diameter 1,1 or 1,2mm
Old March 13th 17, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 2:15:37 AM UTC+1, ixiz wrote:
My original question is not of the cable head. FYI i have been using cables of non ergo shifters for decades and all i do is i Drexel them and checke the size before i insert int the shifters with zero issues

And yes i realize the brakes are larger in fact 1.6mm or more.

My question is shifter cables diameter 1,1 or 1,2mm

Doesn't matter imho. I used both. IIRC SRAM were the only 1.1 mm. I think is all about weight.

Lou
Old March 13th 17, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
patrick

Re; the use of 1.1 vs 1.2mm cable- I had a rocket 9 sp twist shifter on a (yeah, I know) swb recumbent that required 1.1 mm cable. Couldn't get 1.2 through the shifter assembly. Now using a cheap microshift analog ( I don't think they make the attack 9sp twister any longer) yet still using the store of 1.1 cable. Pat
Old March 13th 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 6:15:37 PM UTC-7, ixiz wrote:
My original question is not of the cable head. FYI i have been using cables of non ergo shifters for decades and all i do is i Drexel them and checke the size before i insert int the shifters with zero issues

And yes i realize the brakes are larger in fact 1.6mm or more.

My question is shifter cables diameter 1,1 or 1,2mm

Well wouldn't it be easier to just go to Bikeman on the net?

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repa...bles-a-housing