Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

Old May 17th 16, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTo_L8d1jI
Old May 17th 16, 01:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

prob surplus junk....maybe buy some for muh Cub

Old May 17th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"John Doe" wrote in message
I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct
replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Trawling round all the bicycle shops looking for the exact right fit liner
will probably cost more than a whole new noodle.

Wherever possible, I save money by using salvaged parts - noodles and their
liners come in a few shapes and sizes. It just isn't worth risking getting a
bad fit liner.

Old May 17th 16, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 5/16/2016 6:56 PM, John Doe wrote:
I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is
the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct
replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

Yes and no.

It's a PTFE tube with a flared top (so it won't fall though the noodle.
Could be fabricated from a section of brake casing liner flared with a
cigarette lighter by pushing the hot tube over a section of brake wire in
a vise.

You'd have trouble trying that with PTFE liners, it might work (sort of)
with the nylon ones.

Some cheap ones have polythene liners - a good enough excuse to replace the
noodle in its own right.

Old May 18th 16, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 17 May 2016 06:57:19 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

It's a PTFE tube with a flared top (so it won't fall though
the noodle. Could be fabricated from a section of brake
casing liner flared with a cigarette lighter by pushing the
hot tube over a section of brake wire in a vise. I haven't
done that but have done similar projects with that material.
OTOH noodles are dirt cheap and available everywhere.

Are you sure the noodle liner is PTFE (Teflon)? I see some problems.
1. Teflon will cold flow under pressure. In this case, locking the
brake levers to park the bicycle might create enough presure to deform
the surface of a Teflon noodle liner.
2. Telfon belches toxic fumes above 500F (260C). Using an open flame
to create an end flare might exceed this temperature.
3. As I understand it, Shimano uses thin plastic liners and packs
them with grease at the factory. I'm not sure a liner is even
necessary if the cable is sufficiently greased.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 19th 16, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/18/2016 5:55 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure, actually.

The industry generally describes casing as 'Teflon lined'
but I have been advised recently by experts that the liner
material is not actually Teflon.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 19th 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

I'm not sure, actually.

The industry generally describes casing as
'Teflon lined' but I have been advised
recently by experts that the liner material
is not actually Teflon.

Is there a magazine for mechanics and
technology at the level of repairing stuff that
people use? Not necessarily just bikes tho
I wouldn't turn down a bike-only magazine for
sure. Those I've seen are about the sport side
or the "cool" gadget side, like recent trends
in stuff you don't use anyway...

- so far: 34 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 19th 16, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 5:31:23 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Uh oh, time for a class action by all the deceived purchasers of purported Teflon-casing cable housing. BIG CABLE HOUSING is going to get its comeuppance! Call now for a free consultation.

-- Saul Goodman.

Old May 19th 16, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 19 May 2016 06:59:45 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 5:31:23 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2016 5:55 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Are you sure the noodle liner is PTFE (Teflon)?

I'm not sure, actually.

The industry generally describes casing as 'Teflon lined'
but I have been advised recently by experts that the liner
material is not actually Teflon.

Uh oh, time for a class action by all the deceived purchasers
of purported Teflon-casing cable housing. BIG CABLE HOUSING
is going to get its comeuppance! Call now for a free consultation.

I purchased on BongGood, what was advertised as a noodle liner.
Instead, I received one of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pool+noodle&source=lnms&tbm=isch
Not only was it not genuine DuPont Teflon(tm), but it also would not
fit my V-brake. When I complained to Shimano, they were gracious
enough to direct me to a LBS, which sold me what allegedly was a
genuine Teflon(tm) noodle liner. However, when I connected the noodle
to my medical marijuana bong, I was soon exhibiting all the symptoms
of Teflon(tm) flu:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_fume_fever
Obviously, the Teflon(tm) noodle liner was not providing the claimed
smooth and low friction action. As a person of normal intelligence
(when not stoned), I have a reasonable expectation of safety and
performance from my noodles and therefore believe that I have been
deceived by whichever manufacturer has the deepest pockets. This
should be sufficient grounds for emptying those pockets. While I
expect the legal team to consume 99% of the negotiated settlement, I
sincerely hope that the remaining award is sufficient to pay for my
next fix.

-- Saul Goodman.

I see that you have switched to the dark side:
http://www.amc.com/shows/breaking-bad/cast-crew/saul-goodman

Old May 19th 16, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 May 2016 06:57:19 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

It's a PTFE tube with a flared top (so it won't fall though
the noodle. Could be fabricated from a section of brake
casing liner flared with a cigarette lighter by pushing the
hot tube over a section of brake wire in a vise. I haven't
done that but have done similar projects with that material.
OTOH noodles are dirt cheap and available everywhere.

Are you sure the noodle liner is PTFE (Teflon)? I see some problems.
1. Teflon will cold flow under pressure. In this case, locking the
brake levers to park the bicycle might create enough presure to deform
the surface of a Teflon noodle liner.
2. Telfon belches toxic fumes above 500F (260C). Using an open flame
to create an end flare might exceed this temperature.

The main decomposition product is hydrogen fluoride, AKA: hydro fluoric
acid - it etches glass and is what they use to frost the inside of light
bulbs.

It also etches flesh - if it gets under your fingernails; you'll really know
about it.

The moldable temperature range is extremely narrow - it goes from merely hot
PTFE to nasty decomposition products much quicker than you can control
holding a lighter under it.

Whoever suggested it shouldn't be allowed out on their own!

Help: Teflon V Brake Noodle Liner BlahBlah Techniques 12 February 19th 09 12:55 AM
Noodle Angles and Lengths Psychlo-path Techniques 7 February 27th 07 05:38 AM
Noodle Liner john Techniques 2 September 2nd 06 04:22 AM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) General 17 July 12th 04 09:41 PM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Social Issues 14 July 12th 04 09:41 PM