Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

Old May 20th 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

On Thu, 19 May 2016 15:02:34 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi writes:

I'm not sure, actually.

The industry generally describes casing as
'Teflon lined' but I have been advised
recently by experts that the liner material
is not actually Teflon.

Is there a magazine for mechanics and
technology at the level of repairing stuff that
people use? Not necessarily just bikes tho
I wouldn't turn down a bike-only magazine for
sure. Those I've seen are about the sport side
or the "cool" gadget side, like recent trends
in stuff you don't use anyway...

I don't believe that there are magazines devoted solely to repairing
bicycles but googling on "how to repair bicycles" gets some 2 million
hits.

You might also look at the "Park Tool" site as they seem to sell
practically every known bicycle tool as well as listing more than 100
"repair help articles".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 20th 16, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 19 May 2016 18:24:28 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 17 May 2016 06:57:19 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

It's a PTFE tube with a flared top (so it won't fall though
the noodle. Could be fabricated from a section of brake
casing liner flared with a cigarette lighter by pushing the
hot tube over a section of brake wire in a vise. I haven't
done that but have done similar projects with that material.
OTOH noodles are dirt cheap and available everywhere.

Are you sure the noodle liner is PTFE (Teflon)? I see some problems.
1. Teflon will cold flow under pressure. In this case, locking the
brake levers to park the bicycle might create enough presure to deform
the surface of a Teflon noodle liner.
2. Telfon belches toxic fumes above 500F (260C). Using an open flame
to create an end flare might exceed this temperature.

The main decomposition product is hydrogen fluoride, AKA: hydro fluoric
acid - it etches glass and is what they use to frost the inside of light
bulbs.

It also etches flesh - if it gets under your fingernails; you'll really know
about it.

The moldable temperature range is extremely narrow - it goes from merely hot
PTFE to nasty decomposition products much quicker than you can control
holding a lighter under it.

Whoever suggested it shouldn't be allowed out on their own!

Back when Teflon cooking pots first came on the market I had an uncle
who was a professor of chemistry at the state university who warned
everyone in the family about the dangers of cooking with Teflon.

After some time he re-canted as it turned out that unless Teflon is
heated to 250 degrees (C), 480 degrees (F) no significant amount of
gas is produced.

It might be interesting to know that something like 50% of all the
PTFE made is used in electrical wiring. Largely in aero-space and
computer equipment.

So when you fly, or use the computer .....
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 20th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

I don't believe that there are magazines
devoted solely to repairing bicycles but
googling on "how to repair bicycles" gets
some 2 million hits.

Yeah, the Internet is great to find specific
information, it is less so for low-intense
learning with is also more pleasant because it
is more relaxed. The "hunt" is over when you
get the magazine (or the book), after that it
is instead interesting to see, what information
is there - also, it is good for terminology and
to experience being part of a culture.

Just like people who do boxing or karate read
The Ring and Black Belt, or a "moderate"
outdoorsman reading books on K2, this might not
directly translate to new skills but if nothing
else it will fuel their enthusiasm for what
they themselves are doing...

I have one book in Swedish and one in Dutch.
I don't speak Dutch but there are tons of
illustrations so it is still useful.

@book{cykelbok,
author = {Staffan Skott},
ISBN = {91-550-3942-1},
publisher = {Tiden},
title = {Cykelbok},
year = 1994
}

@book{praktisch-fietsboek,
author = {Rob van der Plas},
ISBN = {90 274 9848 2},
publisher = {Spectrum},
title = {Praktisch Fietsboek},
year = 1984
}

- so far: 34 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 20th 16, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 7:40:51 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

[...]

Well, books and magazines are different things. There are plenty of bike repair books still in print. I was having a senior moment last week and even whipped out the Bicycle Wheel to look up a lacing pattern. I have a first edition with the pages falling out of it. I have a bunch of old greasy bike repair books that haven't been opened in decades.

Speaking of senior moments -- even when I wasn't a senior, I would forget my BB cup thread directions, particularly when I had a mix of French, Italian and English BBs. I always leafed through the same greasy, ancient English repair book. Try doing that with your computer.

Now I have all English BBs (or BB30), but even if I forgot the thread direction, all I do is look at the cups. They have arrows and torque ranges. Bike repair has become plug and play. If I were truly modern, I would just yell at my phone and ask it which direction I needed to screw the cup.

And BTW, the repair magazines are just periodic columns in Bicycling or Velo News. I don't think BRAIN has a repair section.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 20th 16, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/20/2016 10:19 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Well, books and magazines are different things. There are plenty of bike repair books still in print. I was having a senior moment last week and even whipped out the Bicycle Wheel to look up a lacing pattern. I have a first edition with the pages falling out of it. I have a bunch of old greasy bike repair books that haven't been opened in decades.

Speaking of senior moments -- even when I wasn't a senior, I would forget my BB cup thread directions, particularly when I had a mix of French, Italian and English BBs. I always leafed through the same greasy, ancient English repair book. Try doing that with your computer.

One thing I love about books (vs. computers) is one can write notes in
the margins, inside the back cover, etc. If I were forgetting BB
directions, I'd put a little note in there to remind me.

Related: Since I started driving (whoa - about 50 years ago!) I always
kept a little notebook in each car where I logged in my maintenance -
i.e. date and mileage when I changed oil & filter, adjusted valves,
whatever.

Inside the front cover of the notebook, I'd write things like oil filter
number, oil type and capacity, wiper blade size, and whatever else I'd
need to know frequently.

It took me decades to realize I should keep a notebook for bikes, too,
although I'm a bit less diligent about it. Inside the cover of that
notebook I've got the instructions for calibrating the various
cyclometers on our collection of bikes - one of the few (to me)
non-obvious things about maintaining bikes.

But if I had a weird collection of bottom brackets, that's where the
"counterclockwise" (or whatever) note would go.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 20th 16, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 8:28:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I was taught how to build wheels by a shop-owner friend, and like most shop owners, he had a Sutherland's manual with all the bearing dimensions, spoke lengths, etc. Spoke lengths were pulled off a chart and were often adjusted. Popular rim/hub combos were penciled in, e.g. Phil X3 36 hole on Mod E -- a little scrawl (295/6mm IIRC). None of the spoke calc stuff, although the mathematically gifted could work it out on a slide rule or a steam-powered HP/TI calculator. Not too long after that, a spoke calc product did hit the market. It was a HP calculator with instructions and a case.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 20th 16, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

news
wrote:

[...]

PTFE is mostly used for RF work - it has low dielectric losses.

A block of PTFE in the microwave barely gets warm.

Old May 21st 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

jbeattie writes:

Well, books and magazines are different
things. There are plenty of bike repair books
still in print.

In the Anglo-American world there are always
books about anything in print, thank God!

But like I said, here the most recent book is
from 1994. Before that, there should have been
a dozen or so books devoted to repairing bikes.

None of those are in print.

- so far: 36 Blogomatic articles -
Old May 21st 16, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 20 May 2016 04:40:48 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

[...]

Wait now. In your original post you said "magazine" and now you talk
about "books" (there is a difference).

Google on "+Bicycle+Maintenance+Books+download" and you get some
507,000 hits. I downloaded the first on the list (a pdf) and had a
look at it. Perhaps not the greatest but it did include instructions
on building wheels and called attention to the difference between
front and rear wheels. Certainly not the worst I've read.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 21st 16, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

Wait now. In your original post you said
"magazine" and now you talk about "books"
(there is a difference).

I'd place a book somewhere between a magazine
and the Internet on the relaxed-focused scale.

However I do know how to get books from the
English-speaking world. But feel free to
recommend titles you are especially fond of,
of course.

- so far: 37 Blogomatic articles -

Help: Teflon V Brake Noodle Liner BlahBlah Techniques 12 February 19th 09 12:55 AM
Noodle Angles and Lengths Psychlo-path Techniques 7 February 27th 07 05:38 AM
Noodle Liner john Techniques 2 September 2nd 06 04:22 AM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) General 17 July 12th 04 09:41 PM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Social Issues 14 July 12th 04 09:41 PM