hains

Old May 24th 16, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default hains

I've been reading about bicycle chains and it appears from tests,
primarily carried out by Whippermann (the maker), that the Whippermann
Connex 10sX chain last a great deal longer than other maker's chains.
The best Whippermann chain was rated at 114 hours and 3534 miles
(calculated at a speed of 31 mph).

The best non Whippermann chain tested was the Campagnolo Veloce, which
lasted 94 hours and a calculated distance of 2914 miles.

The best of the Shimano chains, the Shimano CN 7801, lasted 64 hours
and 1984 miles.

The best SRAM, the PC 1090, lasted 51 hours and 1581, compared to the
worst Shimano the CN 6601, at 52 hours and 1612 miles. The best non
Whippermann chain, the Campagnolo Veloce 94 2914

From best to worst tested there is a range of 114 hours and 3534 miles
to 36 hours and 1116 miles.

I then looked at Amazon prices for the chains mentioned and while I
can't find them all I can (I hope) get close.

The Whippermann Connex 10sX sells for US$67.16, the Campagnolo Veloce
for $41.14, I can't find an Amazon price for the Shimano 7801 but the
Shimano Ultegra CN-7901 goes for $136.08 and the SRAM PC 1090 is
$39.99.

The costs of using these chains would seem to be in the neighborhood
of:

Whippermann Connex 10sX - $0.0189/mile, Campi Veloce - $0.0141, and
the SRAM at 0.0252, (the worst Shimano - CN 6600) - $0.0190.

I disregarded the Shimano CN-7801 as I'm not sure that the 7801 can be
compared with the 7901, I did find a ProBike price (sold out) of
$25.49 for the 7801. If correct that is a cost of $0.1284/mile.

It appears that the top brands, Wippermann and Campi are actually the
best bang for the buck, Shimano lurks in the middle and SWAR is about
double the "per mile" cost of the top brands.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 24th 16, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?q=SHIM...UIBigB&dpr=1.5

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...HIMANO+CN+6601

? IS INEXPENSIVE….AN inexpensive 10speed chain …..time to move up to 11 !

$65 ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wipp...UIBigB&dpr=1.5