Chain Stretch

Old September 19th 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Chain Stretch

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 4:33:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bk...+control+aging

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bk...etter+eyesight
Old September 19th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 12:28:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
About bicycling: I don't think performance or training records are going
to do me any good at this stage of my life. I know I'll get slower every
year. I prefer to ignore that, not see evidence of it!

Touring diaries are fun to reread.

I agree with that. I recently reread my diary from our coast to coast trip.
I was sort of shocked about how difficult parts of it were. I'd been remembering
mostly the easy, smooth scenic parts.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 19th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:45:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 12:28:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
About bicycling: I don't think performance or training records are going
to do me any good at this stage of my life. I know I'll get slower every
year. I prefer to ignore that, not see evidence of it!

Touring diaries are fun to reread.

I agree with that. I recently reread my diary from our coast to coast trip.
I was sort of shocked about how difficult parts of it were. I'd been remembering
mostly the easy, smooth scenic parts.

The part my wife remembers most vividly is that she didn't see a black person most of the way across. Since we both lived in Oakland neither of us could understand anything like that.
Old September 19th 17, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 11:45:20 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 12:28:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
About bicycling: I don't think performance or training records are going
to do me any good at this stage of my life. I know I'll get slower every
year. I prefer to ignore that, not see evidence of it!

Touring diaries are fun to reread.

I agree with that. I recently reread my diary from our coast to coast trip.
I was sort of shocked about how difficult parts of it were. I'd been remembering
mostly the easy, smooth scenic parts.

Some memories are precious. http://www.majka.us/cookielady/ I'm in there, but I'm not telling you whe https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1431

Go back to the 70s and early 80s. The pictures are great -- happy people in t-shirts and cut-offs or touring shorts. I'm in Bata Bikers and some pre-Nashbar Bike Warehouse touring shorts. No lycra in sight, for better or worse. Few high-end bikes. People were just having fun -- and discussions were not of epic pain and suffering and killer cars. I don't think they had bike lanes back then. Joerg would have to stay home and wait for the country to get connected-up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 20th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

For those wishing to log mileage on bicycle parts, bike journal.com let's you specify all kinds of different parts and accumulates miles for each part until you enter another one.

One thing Sheldon Brown always said was the manufacturers grease was the best lube, and trying to replace it after manufacture was just getting dirt to the inside.

So some friends of mine, when they got a new chain, applied WD40 to the outside to clean and leave a rust proof and dirt proof coating on the outside. These chains then usually got 2-3 time the miles they had been getting with previous lubes.
Old September 20th 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:11:00 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:44:29 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch
See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

The term was meant to be sardonic.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 20th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:37:47 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:11:00 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:44:29 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch
See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

The term was meant to be sardonic.

Ok, sardonic, fine but where is the meaning? Sardonic or not, what are you communicating with this sneer - to what are you referring to by glory, symbolic/metaphoric or not? Is there even a grain of truth or reality in this comment - do you think he was being flowery in his words, or presenting this material in overly grandiose terms, on this particular occasion? Or do you mean because this particular bit made it into the bicycles FAQ? Is there any basis for your sneer at all- anything that made you choose that sneer at that time, or did you just pull it out of a collection of universal sneers, or what???

Old September 20th 17, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:37:47 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:11:00 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:44:29 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch
See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

The term was meant to be sardonic.

Ok, sardonic, fine but where is the meaning?

Goodness. English language courses yet:

sardonic ~ adj
1. disdainfully or ironically humorous; scornful and mocking
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 20th 17, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I think he understands the meaning of sardonic. I think he's asking you
what was the meaning of your sardonic comment. What point were you
trying to make?
Old September 20th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 2:04:06 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

With my concussion I simply can't remember far enough back to know what I've done or not. I have to have people remind me.

Chain stretch - actual tech. James[_8_] Techniques 22 March 7th 13 12:34 PM
chain stretch question Mark Cleary[_2_] Techniques 16 November 16th 09 03:32 PM
Scary chain stretch Alan Braggins UK 1 December 17th 05 09:45 PM
Does chain stretch really exist? Ken Marcet Techniques 15 March 5th 05 09:15 PM
chain un-stretch? larry english Techniques 2 August 12th 03 06:41 PM