Hmm. Maybe it's not better than nothing.

Old September 4th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Hmm. Maybe it's not better than nothing.

Around here, I've sometimes heard "Well, at least they've done
_something_ for us." I've read that in online discussions, too,
sometimes followed by "It's better than nothing."

Sometimes it's not better than nothing. Who the heck designed this
abomination?

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ck_at_60m.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 4th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, September 3, 2018 at 5:14:27 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Around here, I've sometimes heard "Well, at least they've done
_something_ for us." I've read that in online discussions, too,
sometimes followed by "It's better than nothing."

Sometimes it's not better than nothing. Who the heck designed this
abomination?

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ck_at_60m.html

Not defending the design, but I've ridden that stretch of road, and its like crossing any other exiting lane of traffic. Its on the marine terminal/rail road side of town with lots of traffic at shift change, so you have to be careful. There's not much you can do with the facility except put in one of those crossing green lanes or -- also popular -- a bicycle stop sign and cross walk, which I ignore. https://tinyurl.com/ycoemb7h

IMO, this is the usual make-a-buck blame-game. I like Jim (plaintiff's lawyer), but I'm not impressed with the lawsuit. Really, bike lanes end all over the place around here.

BTW, what existed before that facility was a modest shoulder. This was a pure paint job. The way I rode through there did not change one iota after it was striped. I'd get into the lane at some opportune time and get across. If you followed the pavement instruction, you would stop, cross and start again. Either way, you have to look for cars traveling at 60mph, which is more than possible on that long stretch of road.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 4th 18, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/3/2018 9:52 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

From the looks of things, I'd merge left whenever it was easiest to do
so. And it makes sense to take advantage of gaps in traffic, sometimes
by adjusting one's speed so it's relatively clear when it's time to
merge. In some situations, it's smart to ride at a slightly less busy time.

A problem with bike lanes like that is that a certain percentage of
riders will let the paint do all the thinking for them, so to speak.
They won't consider an earlier and potentially easier merge because they
think they have to stay within the stripes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 4th 18, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/3/2018 7:14 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Around here, I've sometimes heard "Well, at least they've
done _something_ for us." I've read that in online
discussions, too, sometimes followed by "It's better than
nothing."

Sometimes it's not better than nothing. Who the heck
designed this abomination?

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ck_at_60m.html

As another Famous Person, I would prefer to stand athwart
history yelling, 'Stop!'.

https://ktla.com/2018/09/04/pasadena...ter-14-months/

--
Andrew Muzi