Best route from Corio to Geelong city?

Old December 20th 05, 03:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Best route from Corio to Geelong city?

Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise on the best way from Corio through to Geelong
-wanting to miss the main drag on Princes Hwy through North Geelong (I
*never* want to ride that again!! I didn't enjoy fighting with the
traffic last time, and this time i'll be on my own and even more of a
sook! )

If anyone here has ridden Geelong to Jan Juc and has any handy hints
they would also be very welcome!

thanks!
ali

--
alison_b

Old December 20th 05, 07:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

The VicRoads website is quite useful for this sort of thing, in the
absence of any local knowledge. I used it to navigate through Geelong
as I thought it would be very difficult.

I kept to the west of the highway through the factory area. Outside
peak hour it was not very difficult. I'm not sure of the exact route I
took, but it was not too dramatic in terms of car problems.

Geelong is known to be a problem area for bicycles, so best to plan
carefully and watch out for the friendly, intelligent, caring and
sharing residents :-)

Old December 26th 05, 10:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

alison_b Wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise on the best way from Corio through to Geelong
-wanting to miss the main drag on Princes Hwy through North Geelong (I
*never* want to ride that again!! I didn't enjoy fighting with the
traffic last time, and this time i'll be on my own and even more of a
sook! )

If anyone here has ridden Geelong to Jan Juc and has any handy hints
they would also be very welcome!

thanks!
ali

Head to North shore and go around Corio Quay, you come out at
Pilkingtons, there the footpath in front of pilko's is a shared pathway
so you can ride on it. Go along the path careful at the shell servo,
and past the war memorial you come out to the service road. You can
ride the service road right down, and take the left just before you get
to the park. the you take the right and go down the road through the
park and you come out on bell parade above the bay. You can take this
all the way to the city.

To get to Jan Juc from the city use Geringhap st down to the footy
ground, the go to Moorabool st. Unfortubately you have to go over the
bridge which is bad in heavy traffic, then go left at Kmart and. go to
the Torquay road intersection. Go over to the Barwon heads road and go
out to Horseshoe bend road, the turoff is at rice village nursing home.
Go right then left at reserve road to stay on horseshoe bend rd, This
will take you right out to Zeally Bay, then Torquay, just follow it
around to Jan Juc.

--
Craig Strong

Old December 27th 05, 06:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

alison_b wrote:
Hi All,

Hoping someone can advise on the best way from Corio through to Geelong
-wanting to miss the main drag on Princes Hwy through North Geelong (I
*never* want to ride that again!! I didn't enjoy fighting with the
traffic last time, and this time i'll be on my own and even more of a
sook! )

If anyone here has ridden Geelong to Jan Juc and has any handy hints
they would also be very welcome!

I just got back from riding to Leopold & back in the last 2 days, and I
rode through DFG (Geelong) along the highway on the way back - not too
bad at all - certainly not as bad as a lot of roads around Melbourne!
On the way there I got off the highway at the North DFG turnoff and
followed the roads past the Oil refinery and then around Eastern Beach
- basically following the RTB route through DFG.

Route from Golden to Idaho Springs, Colorado? Ted Rides 12 October 13th 05 03:51 PM
bike route: sidewalk? brink General 13 October 6th 05 12:28 AM
Underground Railroad bike route in the planning stage Garrison Hilliard General 1 September 2nd 05 04:36 PM
I couldn't ride a city bus anymore! [email protected] General 9 December 23rd 04 01:59 AM